Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Seoul [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: Way Too Many
JW Marriott Lounge (closed) and Renovations in Seoul - Though Not Advertised

Hi all,

This really annoys me and is a pet peeve - I am in Seoul for two weeks on business and checked in to the JW.

When checking in was told that 29th and 30th floors (where lounge is) is closed for renovations until 6th August.

This was not advertised (some other hotels mention this on their website) and to be honest I would have gone to another hotel (but have part booked it on a deposit rate). In fact you can still book an exec club room on the website which lists the facilities - that can't be right?

As a substitute they offer breakfast in the regular area and snacks in some other restaurants.

When asked about the renovation noise they said it was not too bad!! At the moment there is none.

I have to say that for me lounge access is important as I can have a quieter environment and unwind in the evening.

I just wanted to warn anyone coming here and to ask what would you do (taking into account that some of this rate has been prepaid)?

Thanks
J
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
I find it very annoying also when lounges are closed without notice. The hotels I've been in that do this customarily comp breakfast, but it doesn't make up for the snacks and convenience of the lounge. I've only been offered something in the evening once in the form of a small restaurant credit when a lounge was closed. The credit was no substitute for the lounge.

I would talk to a manager at the hotel and ask for a rate reduction and complain that the Web site was not properly updated. I think you should also write a letter to Marriott headquarters. Someone at Marriott headquarters needs to deal with hotels to see that they post this information.

Maybe the Marriott Concierge on this board can weigh in on this. Is there any overall Marriott policy regarding posting of notices about closed lounges?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can someone comment on the status of the executive lounge these days? Will be there in late September. Would be interested in hearing about the offerings, in-room upgrades on these floors, and special treatment for Golds (if any)...also does the Renaissance have an exec lounge too?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Question Seoul JW Question

Heading to Seoul early December.

As a new gold, what to expect at the JW in Seoul? Do they tend to give upgrades, or lounge access?

Or am I better off at the Renaissance?

Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, Hilton, Hertz
JW Marriott Seoul - Platinum Benefit

Are there concierge level available at the JW Marriott Seoul ?
Also, any other Platinum benefits available ?
Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
PS @ JW Seoul in 2010

Was able to get a 3-night PS @ JW Seoul for 3-6 Feb 2010 (before going on to Sapporo for their ice house festival)
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:56 am
BRU

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott
What's a PS ?

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Was able to get a 3-night PS @ JW Seoul for 3-6 Feb 2010 (before going on to Sapporo for their ice house festival)
Will be at JW Seoul next week - not sure what a PS is...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
PS is short for the PointSaver award which lets you redeem a room for one category less than the hotel's category.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
JW Seoul

I just did a search for Seoul - but came up with no messages... this hotel definitely deserves a thread.

Any thoughts/opinions on the Seoul properties? There's a JW and a Ren - the JW is 2x the price of the Ren.

What is the JW area like? How is the lounge?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ighlight=Korea

Not your fault... I don't now why the FT search engine produces zilch when searching for Seoul, yet a search for Korea does work and shows that it is fairly obvious posts about Seoul do exist.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I stayed at the JW last fall. It is an excellent hotel. The CL was excellent then but given the corporate-wide reductions, I can't say how it might be now.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've stayed several times at both the JW Marriott and Renaissance in Seoul. Both are nice hotels. The JW has nicer rooms and a better concierge lounge. It's connected to a shopping mall, so there are a bunch of food options there if you don't like the hotel restaurants. The choices aren't as exciting as the club neighborhood behind the Renaissance hotel, though, IMO.

Generally, I'd pick the JW if the price were in my range or only 10-15% above the Renaissance. 2x is out of the question.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
I second a vote for the JW. It was fabulous when I was there last December. Definitely a property Marriott can be proud of...although the beds were a bit hard given that it's Asia
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
I just completed a week-long stay at the property... very nice, as previous posters have indicated. Rooms were refreshed in February - nice TV/desk, good beds, nice bathroom (this is on concierge-level) - great views from the 32nd floor.

The traffic around the hotel can become an awful snarl in the evenings... sometimes it is faster to get out and walk then wait in the queue with all the taxis/buses/cars trying to get into the JW/Central City/Express Bus Terminal.

The food is over-priced... 32000 won for breakfast and 56000 for the buffet dinner - nice spreads, but not worth US$30/US$50 respectively.

I will check out the Ren next time - the price differential was quite substantial between them, but I wanted to experience the JW.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:37 am

JW Marriott recently renovated their lounge on the 30th floor. I spend a week or so at the hotel every month, so have a good feel for before vs. after.

Mostly cosmetic changes. I actually liked the previous layout a bit better. Overall though, it is still a very nice lounge - "full" hot breakfast, entrees at dinner, open 7 days/week starting at 0600, etc. Plus, the staff is great, very accommodating with any manner of requests.

The one change I would not have done is across one set of windows in the lounge, the Marriott installed a long counter with chairs, replacing the tables. I think this allows them to fit in more solo travelers as it is a bit more space efficient, but I personally do not like sitting with my back to the rest of the room so I avoid that section if there is a table available.

Area is still crowded, and as others have mentioned, the location is not great for just leaving the hotel and walking (though there is a nice hiking trail directly across from the hotel). However, if you are able to navigate the public transit, the subway and massive bus station right next to the hotel will take you anywhere in Seoul (and all of Korea for that matter) relatively easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.