Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Delta3MM is correct. Someone (I just can't remember who) even started a thread on this topic quite a while back. Read through the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l-package.html thread.

While it is almost 10 years old, most of the information is still correct (though some of the values may be slightly changed (i.e. Cat 1-5, 120K mile TP award hotel cert may get you 15K now as opposed to 10K back then.)
I can tell you from my OWN experience that once I subtracted the points needed for the airline, I got most of my points back. I'll have to look it up. I'll post the results here in the AM.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:58 pm
alc

the points you get for a return CAT 1-5 7-night cert is 45K. for each CAT up, you get the full 30K back.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:41 am
kkl

Just did 2x AA transfers to use for an EY redemption. Hopefully the points will arrive before my 5 day hold expiration ends!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kkl
Just did 2x AA transfers to use for an EY redemption. Hopefully the points will arrive before my 5 day hold expiration ends!
I cashed in my TP on the afternoon of Thursday June 1, but AA miles have not yet posted to my account. A bit surprised; hopefully tomorrow.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by icydog
I can tell you from my OWN experience that once I subtracted the points needed for the airline, I got most of my points back. I'll have to look it up. I'll post the results here in the AM.
I'm definitely interested in knowing exactly how many points you get back out of the deal - I've inquired before and the offer just wasn't enough for me to even consider. Granted, I've only redeemed for cat 1-5 packages, and that above post seems to indicate that you get full credit back for the upgraded categories... I don't think they even offered 45k for mine, but it's been awhile and I could easily be mistaken.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
I just cashed in a bunch of Marriott Travel Packages. Likely will not use them and would be more interested in getting points back to use for future trips. I spoke to a rep and she said that you need to wait almost a year before you can convert back to points. Is this similar to others experiences? Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I cashed in my TP on the afternoon of Thursday June 1, but AA miles have not yet posted to my account. A bit surprised; hopefully tomorrow.
My last transfer (non-expedited) to AA took 13 days.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by synergistic
I'm definitely interested in knowing exactly how many points you get back out of the deal - I've inquired before and the offer just wasn't enough for me to even consider. Granted, I've only redeemed for cat 1-5 packages, and that above post seems to indicate that you get full credit back for the upgraded categories... I don't think they even offered 45k for mine, but it's been awhile and I could easily be mistaken.
You get refunded the full amount for the incremental increase portion, hence:

Cat 1-5 45K
Cat 6 75K
Cat 7 105K
Cat 8 135K
Cat 9 165K

So if you use it for a 4 night or longer stay it is best not to return it.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
You get refunded the full amount for the incremental increase portion, hence:

Cat 1-5 45K
Cat 6 75K
Cat 7 105K
Cat 8 135K
Cat 9 165K

So if you use it for a 4 night or longer stay it is best not to return it.

I ended up "wasting" it on a seven night $100 a night stay, so I figure those 45k points were worth a little more than 1.5c apiece. I really feel like they offered fewer points than that, but again, that might just be my imperfect recollection.

In FT fashion, what does that all mean? You're looking at 225k for a 120k mile package (or 132k package for United) which is significantly better than the normal miles-only transfer rates. I still value the base certificate at more than 45k, but regardless, it highlights the value that travel packages present. As much as I'll miss SPG (I more or less abandoned MR a couple years ago) I'll survive as long as options like these remain.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I want to book 4 weeks at the same hotel.
I have 2 7 night certs and a friend has 2 7 night certs that I want to use.
Can I book 4 weeks on points and just apply both mine and his 7 night certs?

Also who would get the stay credit in this situation?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by stallion114
I want to book 4 weeks at the same hotel.
I have 2 7 night certs and a friend has 2 7 night certs that I want to use.
Can I book 4 weeks on points and just apply both mine and his 7 night certs?

Also who would get the stay credit in this situation?
The certs from the travel package need to be booked by a Marriott Rewards agent; you can't do it yourself. You will end up with 4 stays booked, each 7 nights long. Elite nights credit will go to the person who redeemed each package.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The certs from the travel package need to be booked by a Marriott Rewards agent; you can't do it yourself. You will end up with 4 stays booked, each 7 nights long. Elite nights credit will go to the person who redeemed each package.

If the certs are coming from multiple accounts, would there be a way to combine the reservations?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
How far in advance do I need to upgrade a Cat 5 travel package for a Cat 8 stay?

I have a 7-night stay on July 14 but am trying to decide if I want to reduce that to 5 nights, in which case I'd not use the travel package yet.
Anyone?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Anyone?
Just before you start your stay. You can book an award stay without the points so I would reserve it as far out as possible and upgrade my cert as soon as I have the points. If you have the points why not just do it now?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:54 pm
blh

Was able to upgrade a Category 1-5 Travel Certificate today to a Category 7. I called several numbers on website and was told could not be done after being put on hold for a considerable amount of time. I finally got the number (1-800-228-2100) for the Silver Elite and was able to get it done. I was beginning to think it wasn't happening. Thanks to FlyerTalk community for suggestion to call the Elite #.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.