Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 1:21 am
kkl

Anyone transferred to AA for the promo?

Have u received bonus yet?
Old May 4, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kkl
Anyone transferred to AA for the promo?

Have u received bonus yet?
I haven't cashed in a TP for the AA promo yet and probably won't until the beginning of June as my stay is April of next year and I want to give my cert the longest possible expiry in the unlikely event I need to change/extend.

I'd be curious about the answer to your second question on when bonus miles post. FWIW, below is from the AA Bonus offer's fine print:
Bonus miles will be posted by American Airlines to the qualifying AAdvantage member's account within 7 business days after the initial conversion activity has been posted by the participating Hotel Partner.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:09 pm

My husband has a 7-night certificate in his account that we'll be redeeming soon. I recently got the Ritz card which gives me Marriott gold status. Any chance we'll be able to use my gold benefits if the reservation is under his account?
Old May 4, 2017, 7:22 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by cherryblossom55
My husband has a 7-night certificate in his account that we'll be redeeming soon. I recently got the Ritz card which gives me Marriott gold status. Any chance we'll be able to use my gold benefits if the reservation is under his account?
Probably pretty high.. Just show ID with the last name.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:10 pm

We're contemplating using our 7 night cat 5 travel package cert at the property near Disney Paris. It's a cat 5 property, but all the dates I've searched seem to require extra points. It doesn't really seem like a Cat 5 if you always have to buy "upgrade certs" with additional points. Will I be able to apply my cat 5 cert for a week here? If so, will I have to pay additional points (or dollars?), or will the cert cover the stay? Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old May 5, 2017, 2:33 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
If all the available standard award rooms have already been taken, but they still show availability with upgraded rooms, then yes, you will need either change your dates or pay the upgrade fee. A lot of folks probably didn't want to pay the upgraded room charges either and grabbed all the standard award rooms.

This is where planning earlier can be beneficial as others did plan earlier and reserved all the available standard award rooms. You can reserve an upgraded room, but not order the upgrade certs yet. Periodically you can check to see if any standard award rooms show up and if so, make that reservation and cancel your existing "upgraded" room (this assumes the upgraded room award reservation can be cancelled of course.)
Old May 5, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by rbw5t
It's a cat 5 property, but all the dates I've searched seem to require extra points.
Without knowing your dates or the hotel, I am not sure I'm looking at the same thing as you, but this may be a website design issue. Every hotel for the two different weeks I checked allowed a points only reservation. When I did a search, I got two buttons, but the layout is confusing. One button allows me to book for points only. A larger button just below that, which is a different color, gives me the option to come up with my own points/cash choice. At first I did not realize these were two different buttons for two different choices. Might that be the issue?
Old May 5, 2017, 3:42 pm

Sorry -- I'm looking for "Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France". We're hoping to go at the end of March '18, so we're almost 11 months out. All the dates I've spot checked seem to requite upgrade certs. If it's never available without an upgrade cert, then it seems like it isn't really a cat 5. If it's sometimes available at the correct points, and I just missed availability, then that's different of course.

Thanks for all the help!
Old May 5, 2017, 4:31 pm

You are looking at an MVCI property (Marriott Timeshare). Those are not hotels and awards don't work exactly the same. First, Marriott doesn't "own" the inventory in an MVCI property and has very limited control of it. The owners do. What this means is Marriott can offer MVCI rooms only in very limited situations and once the property has been sold out (i.e. all the weeks purchased by owners), then Marriott is really limited in offering award inventory.

Normally, an owner has to offer their week back to Marriott for points before Marriott can then turn around and offer any of that time for award reservations. It is even possible an owner has to offer the full unit if they want points (e.g. not break it into a "studio" side and a 1-bedroom side.) If that is the case, Marriott may never offer just the studio side for awards.

But in any case, awards at MVCI properties are different since those aren't hotels and can't be run as a hotel.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Every MCVI I've ever taken on points required an extra 5,000 cert per bedroom. Once in Orlando I had to tack on 3 to a 25,000 night stay.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Every MCVI I've ever taken on points required an extra 5,000 cert per bedroom. Once in Orlando I had to tack on 3 to a 25,000 night stay.
That is correct, but I think the question rbw5t was asking had to do with why weren't there any base/studio rooms showing as available. Those wouldn't require the extra upgrade certs.

Note some MVCI properties just don't have any studios. I've stayed at the Imperial Palms in Orlando a few times. All the units there are 3 bedrooms with nothing smaller. So if you want to use points there, you must be willing to use the upgrade certs as there just aren't any "studios" to be had.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
That is correct, but I think the question rbw5t was asking had to do with why weren't there any base/studio rooms showing as available. Those wouldn't require the extra upgrade certs.

Note some MVCI properties just don't have any studios. I've stayed at the Imperial Palms in Orlando a few times. All the units there are 3 bedrooms with nothing smaller. So if you want to use points there, you must be willing to use the upgrade certs as there just aren't any "studios" to be had.
Thanks for all the info -- very helpful. I can weigh whether or not it's worth it to me to spring for the extra points, not a huge deal. But, it does seem not quite right that it would be listed as a Cat 5 if there is literally no possibility of ever getting a room for 25k pts per night. At least now I know the story with VC properties. Thanks again!
Old May 8, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Anyone know when the points from the package will show up with Alaska airlines. I purchased the package on Friday morning and expedited, so I was hoping that the miles would credit Tuesday? Is there a certain time of day it updates? Am I looking at Wednesday?
Old May 11, 2017, 5:06 pm

This isn't exactly the right place for it, I don't think, but I can't find an appropriate thread and figure y'all have tried it all...

I've already redeemed one TP this year, with a friend 'transferring' 90k points for my redemption. I'd like to do another, but I'm way short. I do not understand the new/current transfer limitations at all.

Am I allowed to have another friend 'transfer' me more points next time? Or am I stuck since I've already gone over 50k for the year? Basically, I'm wondering if there is a limit to the 'may exceed 50k...' rule.

Relatedly, I thought I'd read that the 50k rule actually applied between specific pairs of accounts, not to one account getting multiple 50k transfers from other accounts. Of course, I can't find that anywhere and am wondering if I invented it.

Anyone out there who has experience with pushing the limits of points transfers? Links to pertinent threads equally welcome =)
Old May 11, 2017, 5:11 pm
alc

Originally Posted by synergistic
This isn't exactly the right place for it, I don't think, but I can't find an appropriate thread and figure y'all have tried it all...

I've already redeemed one TP this year, with a friend 'transferring' 90k points for my redemption. I'd like to do another, but I'm way short. I do not understand the new/current transfer limitations at all.

Am I allowed to have another friend 'transfer' me more points next time? Or am I stuck since I've already gone over 50k for the year? Basically, I'm wondering if there is a limit to the 'may exceed 50k...' rule.

Relatedly, I thought I'd read that the 50k rule actually applied between specific pairs of accounts, not to one account getting multiple 50k transfers from other accounts. Of course, I can't find that anywhere and am wondering if I invented it.

Anyone out there who has experience with pushing the limits of points transfers? Links to pertinent threads equally welcome =)
Yes, you can have another friend transfer to your account. The limit is for out-going account only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.