Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires Plaza Hotel (formerly Marriott)

Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
We would like to inform you that effective July 17, 2014, the hotel will no longer be a partner of the Marriott Rewards Program, however, will continue operating under the name Plaza Hotel Buenos Aires with its remarkable tradition for more than 103 years.

If you have a reservation after July 17th, the reservation and rate will be honored. However, you will not be eligible to earn points under the of the Marriott Rewards Program or to redeem them for future stays.

If you wish to utilize Marriott Gift Certificates, Incentive Awards, or Gift Cards, this property will be not be able to accept these as a method of payment.

In case you need to contact the Hotel direct, please call +5411-4318-3069 or send an e mail to [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 6, 2002, 1:38 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 15, 2007 at 8:23 am
Old Nov 3, 2002, 5:25 am
PSC 1K

I've booked at the Marriott for next week -doing a MR - for two nights. Couple of questions: Any UG for Platinum? Saw above note about late check-out, is that normal (My return flight leaves EZE at 2215)? How early should I head to EZE for that flight? Any other info/suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

[This message has been edited by PSC 1K (edited 11-03-2002).]

Old Nov 3, 2002, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PSC 1K:
I've booked at the Marriott for next week -doing a MR - for two nights. Couple of questions: Any UG for Platinum? Saw above note about late check-out, is that normal (My return flight leaves EZE at 2215)? How early should I head to EZE for that flight? Any other info/suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

[This message has been edited by PSC 1K (edited 11-03-2002).]
</font>
If you can do business or first check-in based on status, then you can head to EZE at 7:50 p.m. and comfortably make your flight. Only thing that is an issue is that you need to pay a departure tax. There are two windows to pay departure tax. One is by the American Airlines check-in (which has a long line occassionally) and one up by the security checkpoint near the departure gate area. The latter departure fee window has little to no line and is the one you should use.

Plan 35-minute cab ride from your hotel to airport. The lounges are nothing special in Buenos Aires and are a little out of the way.

Check-in line should take no more than 15 minutes. Departure fee line can be 0 to 15 minutes. Emigration line can take 30 minutes. The security line is pretty quick, but there are only one or two of these and it can take 15 minutes. If you need to get a VAT refund plan 0-20 minutes additional.

[This message has been edited by GUWonder (edited 11-03-2002).]
Old Nov 3, 2002, 8:27 pm
PSC 1K

GUWonder - Tks for all the info...so now some more ?s. How much is the departure tax? Will they take US $s? Where is the VAT refund desk? What is refundable...hotel? meals? gifts?

Old Dec 19, 2002, 12:41 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">How much is the departure tax? Will they take US $s? Where is the VAT refund desk? What is refundable...hotel? meals? gifts?</font>

bump.....
Old Dec 19, 2002, 3:29 pm
PSC 1K

sweet willie - since you bumped this and I'm back from the MR, let me answer - it is between $8 and $9 (they take dollars or pescos). The best place is to use the window just to the right of the UA check in counters. Small - no line just as GUWonder indicated. I didn't f/u with the VAT since Argentina needs the money (however small the amount) more they I do. Very easy airport to clear. No problems getting to gate. 100% search of everyone all carry-on and body, but more effective/effcient than TSA.

Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:11 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Buenos Aires Marriott - Comments

Can anyone comment on this property who has been there recently?

I am curious as to whether there is an Exec. Lounge and if it was difficult to check in in the a.m.? (my US flight arrives into Argentina at 8 a.m.).

thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 8:20 pm

Stayed there in Dec - were able to check in at 10:30 when we got there. There is a lounge - didn't think the spreads were anything great. The guy in the lounge didn't want us to take any soft drinks (bottles) out of there.

We were 2 adults and 2 kids - this hotel did charge $30 per day for the extra person- the only issue is that they charge this in Pesos and then use a ridiculous conversion rate - so what shoulld have been a $90 bill ended up being $120.

Overall I would say a disappointing lounge.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:24 pm

I also had no problem with a mid-morning check-in. (Since the economic semi-collapse the big-name hotels in Buenos Aires are rarely that full, so there should be little trouble finding a free room for you.)

Yep, the currency conversion thing can be a gotcha. This Marriott, like most of the 4- and 5-star hotels in BA, quotes its prices in US dollars but by Argentine law must charge you in pesos. The rate I got for my stay about 6 months ago was, I believe, a little bit better than the official rate but not as good as the rates most stores were using.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 5:23 pm

Location: Northern California UA-Prem, AA Plat, Marriott Silver

Has anyone stayed in the Marriott in Buenos Aires? Would you recommend it? Would you recommend it over other 5 star business hotels in Buenos Aires such as the Emperador?

Thank you
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
The Marriott Plaza in Buenos Aires is one of, if not the oldest hotel in the city. It is over 100 years old and is the hotel where all visiting presidents, movie stars, etc once stayed. It still has the reputation of being the address to stay at...everyone knows "The Plaza Hotel" if you ask. When I checked in, I asked for my Platinum upgrade, and imagine my surprise when it was one of the top floor suites (the finest rooms in the hotel).

Now, being over 100 years old, it shows it's age in many ways. It has been modernized, but it's still a very old building. It's very regal if your into that sort of thing however...if you want big modern ammenities (big pool, workout room, spacious hallways, massive lobby, etc) you might want to look elsewhere.

It is located right next to Florida street, which is a famous pedestrian only shopping zone. This was very nice, and you can get great deals there...especially with the favorable exchange rate these days.

I have not stayed at any other hotels in the city so I cannot compare, but I enjoyed my stay at the plaza.

[This message has been edited by Pointfreak! (edited Feb 12, 2004).]
Old Feb 16, 2004, 3:10 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
The Hilton Buenos Aires is fantastic - very new and modern.

The food there is awesome and so are the rooms.

Avoid the Sheraton - very old, lousy rooms.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 6:06 am

Agree 100% with the assessment of the Marriott as old but yet regal. Its worth staying at least once if just for the name and experience. After a couple of days the image wears off and the reality of the older hotel takes hold. The location cant be beat.

However, I would argue for either the Sheraton (just a 3 minute walk down a hill) or for the Hilton. I have stayed at the Sheraton Towers several times and would recommend it. I did not have a problem with the rooms and the views from the upper floors add a little something.

If you have a chance, going over to Colonia (sp) in Uruguay is a nice way to spend the day. Its just a short and easy boat ride away.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:22 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Originally Posted by Pointfreak!
..if you want big modern ammenities (big pool, workout room, spacious hallways, massive lobby, etc) you might want to look elsewhere.

I'm a little concerned about this statement. Anyone been to the gym recently?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by tvl4free
I'm a little concerned about this statement. Anyone been to the gym recently?
We stayed there for 9 nights using reward points in Feb/March this year. I would recommend the hotel, and the executive lounge is the best presented I have seen anywhere in the world. It was much better than the lounge in the JW Marriott in Rio.

However the gym is very basic compared with European standards and the aerobic equipment was quite ancient. If this is the most important thing for you the hotel might not suit. However I agree with ther previous posts that it is a good hotel to stay at in all other respects.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.