FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   List of renovated hotels? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1383800-list-renovated-hotels.html)

pogopossum Sep 3, 2012 10:54 am

List of renovated hotels?

Is there any easy way to determine if a FS hotel has been recently renovated before booking? The website isn't always clear, although I probably should pay closer attention to the pictures.

The last two hotels I visited, Knoxville and Long Beach were a throwback to the 1980's. I don't normally stay at full service as I don't see the value, but if I am going to spend the $$ I'd like to at least get something modern.

Cheers,
Pogopossum

VickiSoCal Sep 3, 2012 11:27 am

The "fact sheet" on the website usually has the date built and date renovated.

Horace Sep 3, 2012 11:43 am

Originally Posted by pogopossum (Post 19244796)
The last two hotels I visited, Knoxville and Long Beach were a throwback to the 1980's.

I stayed at the Long Beach Marriott in 2008. The hotel was in the middle of a massive renovation. Our room looked brand new, but the Concierge Lounge was closed for construction. I'm surprised that the Long Beach Marriott now appears to be a "throwback to the 1980's."

I've not had much luck finding renovation details on the "fact sheet" page, but I've had good luck seeing renovation details by clicking on the "room details" page when looking at room rates.

Here's what it currently says for the Long Beach Marriott:
Hotel Highlights
This hotel has a smoke-free policy
Hotel was built in 1987
Rooms were renovated in 2009
I suppose the renovation may not have been fully completed until 2009.

One problem with any hotel's renovation date is that it doesn't tell you how thorough the renovation was or how well the property is maintained year after year. In some ways, ongoing maintenance, keeping a property in good shape, and refreshing soft goods and electronics as needed are more important factors than when the hotel was last invaded by an army of contractors in hard hats.

pogopossum Sep 3, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks, I don't see it on the fact sheets for the Knoxville or Long Beach properties, maybe that is a sign! :)

PP

plagwate Sep 3, 2012 12:43 pm

I usually do a search within this forum to see if anyone has provided a review of the hotel. Tripadvisor.com is also a good resource if you scan the reviews a few months back to see references to worn furniture and/or CRT televisions.

socrates Sep 4, 2012 5:28 am

Originally Posted by pogopossum (Post 19244796)
Is there any easy way to determine if a FS hotel has been recently renovated before booking? The website isn't always clear, although I probably should pay closer attention to the pictures.

The last two hotels I visited, Knoxville and Long Beach were a throwback to the 1980's. I don't normally stay at full service as I don't see the value, but if I am going to spend the $$ I'd like to at least get something modern.

Cheers,
Pogopossum

Hotels are constantly renovating so every hotel would be on the list