Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I combine free night certificate and points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

I have a couple of free category 1-4 certificates that are expiring soon but the Springhill Suites that I want to stay at is a category 5. Can I add 5000 points to my certificate to essentially upgrade it to a category 5 certificate?
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by brianlb1
I have a couple of free category 1-4 certificates that are expiring soon but the Springhill Suites that I want to stay at is a category 5. Can I add 5000 points to my certificate to essentially upgrade it to a category 5 certificate?
Welcome to FT!!

I don't think that you can upgrade a promo certificate, but no harm in calling. If you have status, make sure to call the the status line as they may be more likely to make exceptions if such things can be made.

You could also e-mail the Springhill Suites manager
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott
Question on this topic:

Can I combine a category 5 certificate with points? For example, stay two nights at a category 5 property, use the cert for one night and 25,000 points for the other night.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Iam787
Question on this topic:

Can I combine a category 5 certificate with points? For example, stay two nights at a category 5 property, use the cert for one night and 25,000 points for the other night.
Book it as two reservations and you should be fine. No real advantage to doing it as one. Either call to ask them to link the two, or let them know when you are checking in.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:56 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As noted, you can use both points and certs for a single stay. If you really want a single reservation, you will probably need to call MR and have them make the reservations for you.

Do note that you can NOT mix points and certs to get a "5th night free" award (i.e. use 1 Cat. 1-5 cert plus order a 3 night award and still get the 5th night free.) You can order a "5th night free" award using points and add a 6th night using your Cat 1-5 cert though.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Iam787
Question on this topic:

We did this recently; used 2 certs and points for 2 nights and it worked out just fine.^ I personally find MR easy to work with as far as using points and certs, so we've been quite happy. However, we do plan in advance, thus availability has not been a problem.

Just call MR to have them attach the certs or they can make the entire res. for you as well.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
NO

Originally Posted by brianlb1
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
NO

did you realize what you quoted and answered was a very old question. Just curious.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Coming Soon - Because We Asked For It

Waiting for the next corporate MR announcement.

Certs and Points

Because we have always wanted to be able to combine both in a single reservation

TW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.