Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 17, 2000, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

I am going to be heading to New York in early February and need a little help.

I am a middle level Marquis member. I am curious to know what Marriott to choose for my stay. I'd like to be somewhere safe and nice, but not exhorbitant. The Marquis is an obvious choice, but the rates are so high and I can't find any discounts for the area.

Any assistance out there?
Old Jan 17, 2000, 11:02 am
Commander Catcop

The Marriott Marquis has a club level room that has a good buffett. I think you need to be top tier Club Marquis to get in, but ask at the desk at check-in.

The hotel seems too big for my tastes. It does have two good revolving bars (one on the 8th level, the other on the roof.) If you are meeting friends at either of the revolving bars DON'T JUST SEE "MEET ME AT THE REVOLVING BAR." For my last F-T get together I sent half of my group to the wrong bar. (The 8th floor bar has a nice view of Times Square and makes good dry martinis... as I discovered with QUiet Lion.)

There's a Marriott on Lexington Avenue. Have not stayed there in awhile so impressions are vague. There's also a Renaissance on Times Square which is nice and at least Two Courtyard hotels, one on the East Side, the other at Times Square. Expensive rates though.

You might be better off with the downtown Marriotts:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000164.html

And invest in a Metrocard. You can get day passes or cards you can charge at vending machines at many stations. And if you have an affinity credit card, you get miles to boot!

Have fun in NYC!
Old Jan 17, 2000, 7:08 pm
Original Member

The East Side Marriott on Lexington Ave. is very nice. Have stayed there and it should meet your needs. Nice neighborhood, and its rates are usually quite cheaper than the Marquis. In my opinion the rooms are actually nicer. You'll have to schlep about 8-10 blocks to get to the Broadway theatres, but its about a 10-15 minute walk.
Old Jan 17, 2000, 7:50 pm
Original Member

Dingo.. Please see my post under first time in New York City. Enjoy yourself in the big apple.. Go to a broadway show if you can... TKTS OFFERS 25% TO 50% OFF BROADWAY AND OFF BROADWAY TICKETS.. If your interested in more info on this. Let me know in the First time to NYC post.. I provide the details...

Mike
Old Jan 18, 2000, 4:17 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta
Djlawman: Is the east side Marriott next to the Intercontinental Hotel?
Old Jan 18, 2000, 7:41 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes flyaway, it's maybe a block away off Lex at 48th-49th.

Yet, also recall, just for clarity, that there is now a second Interconti in NYC on CPS (former Ritz Carlton, former Westin)!
Old Jan 18, 2000, 2:25 pm

I prefer the Marriott East Side (Lexington & 49th) to the Marquis.

- Easier to get around, less tourist traffic.

- Easy access to subway @ 53rd Street, including to Times Square (if I feel like seeing a show).

- Smaller, e.g. friendlier. There are few enough desk clerks and managers such that I recognize them and they recognize me.

- Complementary apples.

- Breakfast buffet is $10 less than Marquis.

- Broadway Theatre Desk so you can lock up show tickets in the morning, see the show that night. (If you have time, TKTS on Times Square is 1/2 price. However, it is not convenient if you work until 6 and/or you want to see a specific show.)

- Club on the top floor is small, cozy, service oriented.

- Hotel has a history to it, and interesting artwork on the walls. This place used to be an all-mens long-term hotel.

Old Jul 31, 2000, 7:40 pm

Location: Boston,USA Delta Gold, LH FTL, Marriott Platinum, HERTZ President's Circle
Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) [Merged threads]

Hi,

normally I'm staying at the Marriott East Side NYC. I thought what I nice concierge lounge. But today I've seen the one in Marquis. That's better :
- more space
- more food
- better view
etc.

What do you think ?
Marriott Marquis - Marriott East Side 1:0 ?!

felix
Old Aug 1, 2000, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I've never stayed at the East Side, but I have stayed at every other full-service Marriott within about 75 miles of Manhattan, many times at some of them. The Marquis has the best Concierge Lounge of any of those hotels, for sure! The food, in particular, is just super.

Bruce
Old Aug 5, 2000, 1:10 pm

I have stayed at the Marquis, East Side and WTC Marriott and, yes, the lounge at the Marquis is the best. But I loathe the rest of the hotel. It's filled with slack-jawed, tour bus-riding, camera-toting, shorts and t-shirt-clad tourists from the midwest. The neighborhood is lousy and the view from my (large)room is usually looking directly into an office building across the street. The East Side at least is within walking distance of a real New York neighborhood with real restaurants and shopping. Relying on the concierge lounge is fine in Indianapolis or Oklahoma City, but c'mon, this is New York! Leave the hotel and get out there and explore one of the world's great cities. Btw, I have solved the dilema about in which Marriott to stay, I am now in a wonderful 2-year relationship with a New Yorker and stay at his place whenever I'm in town :-)
Paul
Old Aug 6, 2000, 8:48 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Regarding the Marriott East Side, I like the location but was VERY disappointed in the food!

LOTS of great places to eat in the city - avoid eating at their restaurant, IMHO!
Old Aug 6, 2000, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Maybe a bit off the topic, but if you want a really nice Marriott in a real NY neighborhood, try the Brooklyn Marriott. It's a brand-new hotel, the first hotel built in Brooklyn in decades, with a nice Concierge Lounge (closed on weekends, though) and a nice restaurant. Just an easy subway ride from Manhattan. And Brooklyn is a terrific place to explore.

Bruce
Old Aug 7, 2000, 8:36 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
As cost cutting took over, the lounges are closed from Friday breakfast to the Sunday nite opening at most of the Marriott's. Moreso at the Corporate owned Marriott's verses the franchises. Another reason to try the Hyatt's and Hilton's on weekends.

Marriott does NOT have a real Senior rate compared to the other chains.
Old Jan 30, 2001, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Question on Marriotts in Manhattan! Decision Time.

Excuse my ignorance of the Marriott properties in NYC, but this is the board to ask away at! I will need a 4 night stay at one of these March 22/26 for a Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday night. In town for general sightseeing and the Catman dinner etc, not to mention the 21,000 mile mileage run.

Someone I know has a few Marriott certs we may mutually 'gift' each other for some airline upgrade certs, and these properties all are applicable I am advised for their use. (In fact I may even need to pay ( ) for a room for one of the nights (which one?) as I think only 3 certs are on hand, or maybe someone here also has a spare for "gifting"!) If you were able to choose ANY of the properties below for a 4 night stay, and assuming I am only getting the 'Vanilla flavor' fairly basic room due to the fact of using certs, and no Marriott status, where would YOU opt for? (Altho I will of course be checking in using the patented Rudi choccie tactic and hoping for the best for some kind of upgrade!) I am travelling with a ladyfriend, who wants to do the usual Empire State Building and tourist stuff, catch a show on Broadway etc, so midtown area generally I guess is best location wise? Seventh and Broadway sounds about where the Sheraton Manhattan is where I have mostly stayed?

What would be helpful is if someone knows the comparative rack rates for these places, as that is always instructive .. to a point! Maybe there are decent weekend deals to buy rooms, as March is hardly peak season - I really do not know.

And as many of you are awash with Marriott points from the drip-feed LatinPass deal transfers and if there is a "gifting" way with United stuff to cover a 4 night weekend stay, lets hear about it please. And anyone in town that weekend that wants to catch up for a drink or meal, please contact me.

NY Marriott Marquis, 1535 Broadway
NY Marriott East Side, 525 Lexington Ave.
NY Marriott Financial Center, 85 West St.
Marriott World Trade Center, 3 World Trade Center
Renaissance NY, Seventh & Broadway

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old Jan 30, 2001, 9:18 pm

Marquis would probably be your best bet....location can't be beat..although you're just a number there..the place is HUGE!! Rooms are typical Marriott and there is a rotating restaurant with a dance floor at the top...go for it!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.