Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unexpected RI Philadelphia category change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Just went to review my RI Philadelphia Center City reservation made at least a month ago using a Cat 1-4 certificate. Now, the website says this property is a category 5. Got in apparently in the nick of time, but I find this amazing given that they already made these changes last Feb./March. Are mid-season changes now to be expected as well?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by joetro
Just went to review my RI Philadelphia Center City reservation made at least a month ago using a Cat 1-4 certificate. Now, the website says this property is a category 5. Got in apparently in the nick of time, but I find this amazing given that they already made these changes last Feb./March. Are mid-season changes now to be expected as well?
Some properties do change midseason unfortunately.

Cheers.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:20 pm

I stayed there not too long ago on Cat 1-4 cert. Is there any hotel left in the world where you can spend the certs that is not a dump?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
several hundred ++...............
https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category4.hotels/
https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category3.hotels/

Originally Posted by Hosserunda
......Cat 1-4 cert. Is there any hotel left in the world where you can spend the certs that is not a dump?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:42 pm

Read. Think. Reply!

that is not a dump?
Simply posting the list of Cat 4 / 3 hotels is NOT answering this question!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
let's see, since I live in Thailand:
Renaissance Rajaprasong
Marriott Sukhumvit 57 (due to open this yr)
Rayong Marriott (due to open this yr and 2-weeks ago wrote up a trip report on it)

and south of me in Malaysia
Renaissance Kuala Lumpur
JW Kuala Lumpur

and in Europe, several, including the Regensburg CY (and I generally do not do CYs)

now, certainly there are several Cat 1-4s that you or I may think of as sub-par but the blanket statement that ALL Cat 1-4s worldwide are dumps just ain't so............ and, I'm sure there are a few Cat 5-8s that are overrated as well.......

Read. Think. Reply!

Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:00 am
Suspended

There are some Cat 4's in the USA that are still downtown, but this was one that stayed at a Cat 4 during the latest announced changes in March, unlike the nearby C/Y that moved up to a CAt 5 at that time.

I don't even have a problem with them changing the rate category after the announced changes, but they should give us some notice of their intention to do that.

After all, they do pre-announce category changes to us prior to the major re-categorization, why can't they give us a heads up for these sort of ones, as well?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Well i venture to guess that any mid-season changes will be filled with many more adjustments up in category than down ...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
After the mid-year upgrades its getting kind of hard to use the Cat 1-4 certificates anywhere with vacation appeal. My favorite little Courtyard beach hotel in Kauai is now a Cat 5, not to mention DC went away too.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

I've managed to get in at several cities (Montreal, Seattle, now Philly I guess) just before a surprising category change. My issue is that even to get at a Courtyard or RI in most downtown cities you need a category 5 or weekend discounts at these places often leave prices fairly low such that I'd rather pay for a night. I'm hoping to visit Houston with my Cat 4 and thinking of either Nashville, Austin or Miami with my credit card Cat 5. May call Marriott to see if they'll upgrade my Fall promotion to the Cat 5 rather than 4 ... there really is a big difference now! I get that 4's are better value in Europe/Asia/Middle East, but I'm not in a position to go there for some years.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I don't even have a problem with them changing the rate category after the announced changes, but they should give us some notice of their intention to do that.

After all, they do pre-announce category changes to us prior to the major re-categorization, why can't they give us a heads up for these sort of ones, as well?
Agree 100%.

Cheers.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Read. Think. Reply!
I stayed there not too long ago on Cat 1-4 cert. Is there any hotel left in the world where you can spend the certs that is not a dump?
Posting a list of hotels may not be the best response, but neither your question or response was particularly graceful or courteous.

To answer your question - Yes, I can think of quite a few non-dump hotels where we have spent certs and had a rather nice time.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:45 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I agree that it's become almost impossible to use Cat 4 certs in downtown locations in the U.S. Perhaps the fact that some people were targeted with Cat 5 certs for the Fall Megabonus is a sign that Marriott recognizes how much the value of a Cat 4 cert has dropped... but then again, it's discouraging to see that some people were still targeted with the Cat 4 promotion this time around.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Sadly I was one of the ones in the 4's and could not get them to change it. Wondering if they targeted the 5's at the highest or the lowest ends ...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:03 pm

I have used the Cat 4 certs at the RI Philly Center City. I was looking forward to using them again at the RI Philly or CY Philly. It stinks that they are both Cat 5's now.

I like to stay downtown but now it is extremely difficult to find a Downtown Cat 4 hotel within 3 hrs of NYC or in NYC.

Last edited by rtraveler; Aug 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.