FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Understanding Points Earned for a stay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1373271-understanding-points-earned-stay.html)

timv Aug 2, 2012 4:07 pm

Understanding Points Earned for a stay

Hi Everyone, I have my first Marriott stay coming up, and I want to ensure that I understand how points will be awarded to me.

I used a member referral on sign up, and have enrolled in the Platinum Challenge.

Nights Stayed: 13
Cost Per Night: $118
Total Cost: $1534

Base Points: 15,340 (10 points per dollar spent)
Bonus for Marriot CC: 7,670 (5 points per dollar spent)
Bonus for Platinum Status: 7,670 (%50 of base points)
Referral Bonus: 2,000 (2k per stay)
TOTAL: 32,680

Am I misunderstanding how this works?

BKKLEE Aug 2, 2012 5:18 pm

almost, as points will only be awarded by the property on your cost without taxes/service....... so if the $1534 is w/o these charges, then you'll get what you expect............ same (on rate w/o bumps) goes for the 50% bump for plat status........

Originally Posted by timv (Post 19049258)
Hi Everyone, I have my first Marriott stay coming up, and I want to ensure that I understand how points will be awarded to me.

I used a member referral on sign up, and have enrolled in the Platinum Challenge.

RogerD408 Aug 2, 2012 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by timv (Post 19049258)

Yes, MR issued points are on the base rate (presumming that's the $118), however the CC points should be on total charged which would include taxes and non-point earning services (i.e. parking). So your total would be a minimum expected.

timv Aug 2, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Where do charges at the restaurant tie in to everything?

They obviously won't be a part of the base fair (thus no platinum bump) but do I get the 5 points per dollar credit card bonus?

BKKLEE Aug 2, 2012 5:43 pm

restaurant charges that go on your hotel bill will earn 10-points/$ + your 50% plat bonus and again if you use Visa card that provides 5 points/$ then another 5-points/$, but if you pay the restaurant charges directly - not on your hotel bill - then you won't get the first 2 credits............

Originally Posted by timv (Post 19049711)
Thanks for the info guys. Where do charges at the restaurant tie in to everything?

They obviously won't be a part of the base fair (thus no platinum bump) but do I get the 5 points per dollar credit card bonus?

aaupgrade Aug 2, 2012 6:53 pm

Earning points at Marriott brand hotels and resorts.

Marriott Rewards T&C on earning points.

The above links should answer most of you questions about points earned for a stay.

JerseyCityS Aug 2, 2012 8:53 pm

I checked out of the Pittsburgh Marriot last Friday, July 27. No points have posted as of August 2. Is this normal? I'm fairly new.

BKKLEE Aug 2, 2012 8:58 pm

is your correct, or any, MR # stated on the invoice? if so, w/i the US generally in 2-3 days but if later the MRs website does have a link to request missing stays if not posted w/i 10-business days of checkout.......
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/myA...StayRequest.mi

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS (Post 19050518)
I checked out of the Pittsburgh Marriot last Friday, July 27. No points have posted as of August 2. Is this normal? I'm fairly new.

timv Aug 3, 2012 11:59 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade (Post 19050050)
Earning points at Marriott brand hotels and resorts.

Marriott Rewards T&C on earning points.

The above links should answer most of you questions about points earned for a stay.

Thanks for the links. I went through them and was still a little confused. They don't lay it out explicitly enough. They also dont mention anything about the hotel restaraunts

I appreciate all of the answers everyone. Looking forward to getting involved here.

RogerD408 Aug 4, 2012 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by timv (Post 19053844)
Thanks for the links. I went through them and was still a little confused. They don't lay it out explicitly enough. They also dont mention anything about the hotel restaraunts

I appreciate all of the answers everyone. Looking forward to getting involved here.

As stated in the T&Cs:

2.Charges that do not qualify for Points include taxes applied to the room rate, purchase of Marriott gift certificates or gift cards, purchase of The Ritz-Carlton gift certificates or gift cards, charges for third party-provided goods and services at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels, and catering or banquet functions charged to the guest room account.
Granted not explicit, but all charges billed to your room, except those listed above, should earn you points. This includes restaurants, bars, gift shops and, pantries. Different brands may have other exclusions.

BKKLEE Aug 4, 2012 6:14 pm

restauarant charges depend on brand (some do, most don't; those that state room rate only mean ROOM RATE ONLY):
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points/points.mi

I went through them and was still a little confused. They don't lay it out explicitly enough. They also dont mention anything about the hotel restaraunts.

MDtR-Chicago Aug 4, 2012 7:34 pm

Everyone is assuming this is a full service Marriott......

Also, don't forget your Platinum welcome amenity. If you choose points, those would add on to the total.

aaupgrade Aug 4, 2012 8:03 pm

You're welcome.

Actually they do mention hotel restaurant and other incidental charges but in an inverse way.

Reread the information found the first link I provided (Marriott brand hotels and resorts) and you will discover that a number of brands have the notation "per US dollar spent on room rate only". The hotel brands that don't say that will also allow you to earn points on restaurant and other hotel incidental charges.