Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Subscribe
I'll be traveling to Thailand with my wife for a couple of weeks in July. This will be mostly for vacation. We know we will want to have good access to the Sky Train, but neither of us have been to Bangkok before and so we don't know which of the two Marriotts (JW Marriott or Marriott Bangkok Resort) would be better located.

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions as to which of the two hotels would be the better choice for sightseeing, restaurants, shopping, etc. Any and all other Bangkok or Thailand tips would be fab-o, too.

Thanks in advance,
-b-

[This message has been edited by elnor (edited 05-05-2001).]
I use regularly both.

The Royal Garden Resort, a real Resort right on the river, is not in walking distance of any attraction, but the free boat (running every 30 minutes) brings you in about 20 minutes to the terminal Sky train station (near the Shangri-La and the Oriental Mandarin).

The very elegant JW is in walking distance of 'everything' in the Sukhumvit area - I am not so sure that wifes will enjoy a long stay in the Sukhumvit area (Nana etc being just a block away) ... but the JW is my favorite just after arrival or before departure as with it's direct access to/from the airport motorway I can avoid any traffic hassle on arrival and (even more on) departure day.
I really like the Marriott Riverside Resort. It is a beautiful resort, and very handy to travel via the river. River travel is a great way to get to many of the sights, without Bangkok's notorious traffic jams. You can rent a long boat and driver right at the Marriott pier, and spend a morning sightseeing. Or you can take the free shuttle vote to a shopping center or to the sky train. It is a great hotel to come back to and relax... wonderful pool and grounds. The concierge lounge is one of the nicest in the world.
Because your wife will be with you I think the Royal Garden Riverside would be more appropriate and provide a better base for a vacation.
Am I missing something here, Rudi?

The river shuttle from the Riverside Marriott operates to and from the River City pier, next door to the Sheraton. Upon request, it picks up/drops off at the Shangri-La pier.

None of these piers is located within convenient walking distance to the BTS, the elevated railway. Of course, I don't like walking more than 100 yards in Bangkok's heat and grime ... is there a new pick-up/drop-off location that I am not aware of?

Obviously, the Riverside Marriott location is more convenient for sightseeing by river; but the Oriental, Shangri-la, Royal Orchid Sheraton are even more convenient.
But a visit to the river and the hiring of a longtail or similar can be accomplished easily by an air conditioned taxi ride down to one aforementioned hotels, all of which are sights in themselves.

As for shopping, restaurants and the quintessential Bangkok experience, the J.W. is the place with the Nana hotel next door not to be missed. The BTS runs right in front of the hotel!

For a sketch of the Nana :
http://www.geocities.com/posh-boy/chap_25.htm
Am I missing something here, Rudi? The river shuttle from the Riverside Marriott operates to and from the River City pier, next door to the Sheraton.

The (free) comfortable Marriottt boat always also stops at the Oriental pier. And since the BTS started in january 2000 the boat also stops at the BTS station (200 meters to walk) and on the return, the boat people always look out (even at nights) if somebody is waving.

On request, the Marriott boat people just drop you at any pier on their way (I always tip them 20 Baht).

They stopped for me so far at the Shangri-La, opposite at the Peninsula, at the Mandarin Oriental Fitness Club and Restaurants opposite the Oriental Pier and Mandarin Hotel - never a problem.
robbiefields: I enjoyed your sketch of the Nana. Thanks for posting the link in this thread.

-David
While you won't mistake either for the Oreintal, I stay at and generally enjoy both properties and prefer the JW, especially the Concierge floor & Lounge, while my wife and son both prefer the Royal Garden Riverside with the more sprawling grounds and clearer air! And I generally agree with all that is noted above as well!

David (LIH Prem),

Thank you for your kind comment. May I return the compliment and say how enchanted my Thai wife and I were on our first trip to Kauai this past November (the week Tiger was around!). We might have passed you on the road as we stayed at the Shearwater and drove every street in Princeville, house gazing.

robbiefields:

Too bad we didn't know it .. we would have gladly met you both for a cocktail at the library bar in the Princeville Hotel.

I just made my award reservations for a family trip to Asia, as the coveted award seats to Bangkok were available on March 17 in business class. We'll be in Bangkok approximately March 18 - 22, 2002, so perhaps we'll bump into you in the Nana lobby. I'm intrigued by it after reading your sketch. I wish I had known about the Nana when I was there several years ago.

Perhaps we should exchange some email.

-David

Thanks to everyone that's posted here. I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

It sounds to me like both could be good choices, with a possible slight bias towards the Riverside. Assuming we go with that option, what sorts of restaurants are near the resort?

Thanks again,
-b-

PS If you have also stayed at the Intercontinental in Bangkok, I'd appreciate any comparisons and/or biases for one of the Marriotts versus the IC, too. I am a Six Continents Club member at IC, fyi.

[This message has been edited by elnor (edited 05-07-2001).]
elnor:

I've been researching BKK hotels also, for a family trip next March. I know I saw some negative comments on the Intercontinental BKK in Gaeneral Travel Talk .. read Dorian's comments on the IC BKK in Need Hotel- Bangkok

It sounds like the Riverside would be ideal for a family stay, with my 2 girls: 5 and 17. Is that correct? It just doesn't look as elegant as some of the nicer BKK properties, including the Peninsula, JW, Banyan Tree or the Hyatt Erawan. (Of course, I'm omitting the Oriental .. who can afford that when you have to get two rooms or a suite with a real bedroom?)

Some of the older threads mention a $95 intro rate at the Peninula .. I wish that was still around.

-David

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 05-08-2001).]
The BKK Intercontinental is about to be torn down for a major redevelopment project and I am afraid the owners have given up on this once great hotel. As an indication, they have been selling rooms at this hotel in the local market for 2000 baht per night.

Now that elegance is mentioned, don't rule out The Suhkothai (sic) hotel off Sathorn Road. The Dusit Thani's rooms are not the greatest but its public rooms are as elegant as any and their top drawer restaurants have lunch and dinner specials.

Another hotel that might offer a deal on 2 adjoining rooms is the Grand Pacific on Sukhumvit opposite the Sheraton Grande. They have a Sunday family brunch with wonderful entertainment and children eat free.
714 Award to Bangkok
I want to get a 714 award using Northwest, which flies direct bangkok, Thailand, then out of pocket to Phuke, where a new JW Marriot Beach Resort will open in January 2002. Will Marriott place enough miles for four people to fly to Bangkok or will they try not to honor their "anywhere in the system" statement?
If I'm correct the 714 award is two 10 night certs and four roundtrip tickets?

If so Marriott will stick hard to NWA's rules. I redeemed this award this past winter and they were firm! So.....I recommend you explain to Marriott that you'ld like to go to Paris in July. That's 50,000 miles per person. Sound familiar?

Paris is 40,000 miles in off peak but 50,000 mid summer. Be sure to specify JULY.