Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Old Jul 23, 2001, 10:13 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
They will give you 60k max a person (if you redeem before July 31). You can just say Europe. They'll give you the 60k then. So you'll get 240,000 miles for a 714 award.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 10:57 am

Location: USAirways Gold,Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AVIS Preferred Select, Hertz #1 Gold
Why do I have to say Europe? Why not ASIA? What are the Northwest rules for Marriott Rewards? Will 60,000 miles cover roundtrip to Bangkok?
Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:18 am

No! No! No!

Don't pick a European destination when looking for NW miles. Although requesting Europe as a destination will get you the maximum allowed FF miles (60K) on AA, it will get you only 50K on NW.

The key is to request a destination that requires at least 60K FF miles (e.g., Tokyo). And don't forget it has to be a city that has a Marriott hotel.

My guess is that Marriott will say that BKK is not an eligible destination on NW, but it doesn't hurt to try. Just be sure to have a 60K destination ready as a back-up - not a 50K destination. If you have any uncertainty, check the award charts on NW's site.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:26 am

BKK doesn't show up in NW's award charts. Assuming it's a valid destination on NW or one of its partners, there's a good chance it will require more than 60K FF miles for a coach ticket to get there.

Forget about trying to get those additional miles under the "anywhere in the system" provision. Long ago, Marriott set a limit of 60K FF miles as being the maximum allowed, regardless of the destination. Many have tried for an exception. None have reported succeeding.

[This message has been edited by Dave M (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:14 am

Adding to what Dave said, if you look at the chart that we put together: http://www.flex.com/~dmk/marriott/ the rules column were culled together from what used to be on the Marriott web site. For NW, Asia is not a destination for this award. If you want NW miles, you have to use Europe as a destination. Note also, that the chart shows NW as a coupon, not miles, but that could be wrong.

-David
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:16 am

duplicate

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:25 am

dup - deleted
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:39 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
dd,
That new Marriot has been there for some time as the Royal Gardens Resort. I have stayed there several times. I like th location, attached Mall, rooms and recently added SPA. It already had some Marriott looking things in the rooms last year. Similiar to the Riverside Royal Gardens Marriott in BKK. Similiar gardens.

It's fun to go through the Mall with many interesting things to buy at very reasonable prices. It is across the street from the beach.
Old Nov 17, 2001, 9:15 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Marriott in Bangkok

I will be in Bangkok next May for 8 days.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the Marriotts there?

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2001, 12:31 am

JW Marriott on Sukhimvit Road is nice. It's also right in the heart of the action.

Marriott Resort (Garden something) is across the river and isolated. Easy enough to take their boat or a cab across, but difficult to stumble home, if you know what I mean
Old Nov 18, 2001, 8:05 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've been at both various times and each is fine!
Old Nov 18, 2001, 11:06 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Great timing of this thread DADISGARYK!

doc or others w/experience. I'm leaning towards the Marriott Resort due to the fact that I really like properties on some sort of water. From research, Marriott Resort is right on the river, whereas JW Marriott is inland (4-5blocks) from river, is this correct?

Any idea on how much water taxis/taxis are to Marriott from where the "action" is?

thanks in advanced
Old Nov 18, 2001, 1:46 pm
R&R

Water taxi is free and runs till about midnight every 1/2 hour. It runs to the Oriental pier and the Riverside shopping mall pier.

Regular taxi is about 100 baht from the nightlife.

Marriott is just down the street from the Penisula Hotel. I like the Marriott for the extensive gardens and open spaces with a mall with many eating choices.

Old Nov 18, 2001, 6:14 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
Marriott's Royal Riverside Gardens is my favorite... very easy to get downtown by taxi.. beautiful resort and gardens.. one of the best concierge lounges in any Marriott. Water taxis stop at the hotel and are very fast, relatively inexpensive for a canal touor.,.. a water shuttle takes you, as noted, to the Oriental public pier and an upscale mall.
Old Nov 19, 2001, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 11-19-2001).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.