Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jerry305
Curiously, my credit limit is only $1,000.
Which, frankly, is perfect for me.
But I'm surprised to see a card issued with that low a limit.
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
So I got the card today, with an ambitious credit limit of 19000$.

???
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jerry305

???
Clearly he has 19x your income. That's how these things work, right?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Great success! Got in on the application the last day, called in today was told am approved and it's on the way
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by eyeball1
Are people getting the 5X points to post at Marriott/Starwood properties with this card? I just completed some Starwood stays in Europe paid for with this card and they all posted with 2X points. Is it worth the fight to try and get them credited properly?
Ever since the 5x multiplier on this card was extended to Starwood properties... it fails.

On 4 out of 4 recent statements where I had transactions at Starwood hotels, this spend was not properly credited at 5x the points. Every month, I had to call and get an agent to fix it. They always did it, but I could really do better things with my time. Each call is about 30min.

I put it down to teething problems in the first few months, but it's still not fixed and now it starts feeling like laziness on Chase's part, with cardholders paying the price.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by airoli
Ever since the 5x multiplier on this card was extended to Starwood properties... it fails.

On 4 out of 4 recent statements where I had transactions at Starwood hotels, this spend was not properly credited at 5x the points. Every month, I had to call and get an agent to fix it. They always did it, but I could really do better things with my time. Each call is about 30min.

I put it down to teething problems in the first few months, but it's still not fixed and now it starts feeling like laziness on Chase's part, with cardholders paying the price.
Do you stay at SPG hotels in Canada ? If so, better use an AMEX SPG card
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I stay in SPG Hotels all over the world, including Canada. And I don't have the Amex card. I just want this card's benefits to be consistently honored.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
For anyone that's gotten the card before Chase Canada stopped taking applications, was there a minimum spend? Signed into my Marriott account today and saw this card's banner (leading to a dead link, of course) saying 50,000 pts after $3000 minimum spend...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I didn't get the card, but I did notice that the e-mail offers I received in the last couple of months switched from 50,000 pts after 1st purchase to 50,000 pts after $3,000 spend.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:44 am

I applied in July and got the points after the 1st purchase.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:51 am

I applied on August 22, got the card ten days after, and the 50000 points with the first spend. Points were posted with the first statement.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Received the Canadian Marriott Rewards Premier Visa card two weeks ago after applying on-line by invitation. The online form was a nuisance, particularly occupation - retired. For retired, the online form wanted an employer. My thinking is, if you are retired, you no longer have an employer. Once I had the card, I picked a PIN.

Last week Chase bank calls me from the "Fraud and Security Department" on Wednesday, we basically repeat all information filled out on-line previously and this time add my former employer (before retirement). The agents assures me everything is good and card can be used. This takes perhaps 20 minutes with the agent putting me on hold several times.

The next day, we do the same thing over again with another agent. This time 15 minutes and I vent a bit with him. Both times a call back number was left, but I called the number on the card.

Saturday, I go to buy a bottle at airport, PIN invalid. Next day check-in at Marriott at HKG, again PIN did not work at check-in; but the room charge was forced through manually after I did the Express C/O.

Got a letter dated Sept. 20/17 requesting the same information again within 30 days (this would make it the 4th time). At this point the card will go back but I would like to see the bonus points first.

This is the first credit card in my life that has given grief. Life goes on.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:37 pm

CHASE has BRUTAL customer service. I've had many holds put in this card for fraud suspicion and it's always been difficult to deal with them. BUT the no foreign txn fee and my Marriott points are why I put up with it.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:49 am

I enjoyed the benefits from this card for some time. Customer Service is bad generally with most card issues.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:32 pm

Has anyone had any issues recently getting the $120 annual fee refunded after it has posted to the card account? Looking at older posts it seems like it may be an issue with Chase?

If the card is cancelled on the 10th, but isn't fully shutdown by the 11th statement date, would the $120 still post to the account through some timed mechanism? Anyone?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ken_ll
Received the Canadian Marriott Rewards Premier Visa card two weeks ago after applying on-line by invitation. The online form was a nuisance, particularly occupation - retired. For retired, the online form wanted an employer. My thinking is, if you are retired, you no longer have an employer. Once I had the card, I picked a PIN.

Last week Chase bank calls me from the "Fraud and Security Department" on Wednesday, we basically repeat all information filled out on-line previously and this time add my former employer (before retirement). The agents assures me everything is good and card can be used. This takes perhaps 20 minutes with the agent putting me on hold several times.

The next day, we do the same thing over again with another agent. This time 15 minutes and I vent a bit with him. Both times a call back number was left, but I called the number on the card.

Saturday, I go to buy a bottle at airport, PIN invalid. Next day check-in at Marriott at HKG, again PIN did not work at check-in; but the room charge was forced through manually after I did the Express C/O.

Got a letter dated Sept. 20/17 requesting the same information again within 30 days (this would make it the 4th time). At this point the card will go back but I would like to see the bonus points first.

This is the first credit card in my life that has given grief. Life goes on.
Did you use it at least once in Canada at merchant with a chip/PIN reader?

When I opened my Chase Visa card it had just arrived prior to my travel. I did activate it, but I never used it until I was in Europe. They are more strict with chip PIN policies there, so my transactions were declined every time.

A Chase rep informed me that I needed to use it at least once while in Canada, otherwise the PIN would not be validated for the card and could not be used outside Canada. When I returned to Canada, I inserted it in a reader, keyed in my PIN and then signed for the purchase. It worked thereafter, in and outside of Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.