Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Romney campaign favors Marriott hotels over Hilton hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

This IS NOT intended to be a political discussion...but I guess you're more likely to see the Romney camp at a Marriott while on the campaign trail...I've had good experiences at both companies' properties, but prefer Hilton's breakfasts in many cases.

USA Today: Romney campaign favors Marriott hotels over Hilton hotels

The presumptive GOP presidential nominee's campaign has booked more Marriott-brand hotels than hotels that belong to Hilton, its No. 2 choice, according to a new analysis cited by Hotel Check-In friend, USA TODAY's On Politics blog.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I believe I saw a story recently that the Marriott family is Mormon, which may explain the hotel affinity?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by jjdub86
I believe I saw a story recently that the Marriott family is Mormon, which may explain the hotel affinity?
Possibly - the article mentions Romney has links to the Marriot family. I know I tend to patronize friends' businesses..while this is a bigger scale, it does not seem illogical.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: none
Article says Marriott Co. has donated thousands to Romney; thousands to Obama.

Does that say anything about our campaign financing situation?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
This.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
A little bird told me Mitt was on Marriott's Board of Directors for a while, between campaigns.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Romney's campaign stayed at the GRR downtown CY on the same night I was there. Saw the campaign bus w/ SS vehicles when I returned from an evening event. Might explain why I didn't get an upgrade

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:08 am
Suspended

He did this last time he rand for Prez, as well, and as others have noted, implied, etc., despite a business link, and potential campaign donations, there is nothing wrong with affinity purchasing.

As for those who might think that Mormons are a monolithic group of politically active Republicans, in order to refute such an idea, one need only remember that one of Prez. Obama's biggest boosters in Congress is the Senate Majority leader, Harry Reid of Nevada.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Probably because he was:
On the board of directors
His father was friends with founder
If I recall correctly, he names after the founder too (Not Mitt, his first name Willard).

If I recall from the last few campaigns, Marriott tended to be the hotel of choice for non-incumbent candidates.
I think it may be because of the number of brands they have and the fact you can find a marriott in most cities, especially the mid-size midwest cities that campaigns use. Most of the early caucus cities have lots of Marriotts.
Same reason a lots of FF use them. Hilton just doesn't have the coverage that Marriott does.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:30 pm

Looks like Starwood doesn't get any love from either major party!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Avis First, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AS

Because Starwood doesn't have anything to compete with all of the FI, Courtyards, Hamptons and HGI's littered across the country.

Or we're you being facetious?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
This must have thrilled the Marriott family http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20..._The_Free_WiFi
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by rthib
If I recall from the last few campaigns, Marriott tended to be the hotel of choice for non-incumbent candidates.

I think it may be because of the number of brands they have and the fact you can find a marriott in most cities, especially the mid-size midwest cities that campaigns use. Most of the early caucus cities have lots of Marriotts.
That's my guess too.

Here's how I think the order probably goes due to # of brands & coverage in smaller cities as well as larger ones: Marriott brands, then Hilton Brands, then Starwood, then Hyatt. Of course there's always Best Western too.

S&H just don't have the breadth of brands or coverage.

Cheers.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:51 pm

Or we're you being facetious?[/QUOTE]

Exactly
Old Jun 10, 2012, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
families are close

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.