Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Links below are for specific properties:

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Guanacaste
Los Suenos Marriott
Hotel Punta Islita Autograph Collection
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott PLAT
I understand that fares from Costa Rica for major airlines to the US should now include the departure tax already built in (approx $27 a passenger), and you should have to pay separately at the airport as referenced below.

Originally Posted by nightowlrn
It will be cheaper if you schedule trips on your own. Driving is not for the faint of heart in CR. Also - renting is a bit of a scam. Be forewarned about that. Research renting and additional costs first. Also- leaving CR you have to pay $. Not much but we had to leave one line and go to another to pay and get a stamp before getting back in the leaving CR line We loved CR. Truly a wonderful experience. Even if you don't like the beach per se, consider a beachside lunch or sunset dinner. Very nice!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
I flew UA in Feb. 2016, and it was included. Also was on the UA booking copy.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Has anyone taken a regular cab from SJO to the Marriott San Jose? How much should I expect to pay?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Has anyone taken a regular cab from SJO to the Marriott San Jose? How much should I expect to pay?
only about 15 minutes, but less than $20 US. the $20 is what i pay from that hotel to the airport, tip inclusive.

BTW, a nice Mrt with a great pool. EL is just average.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:39 pm
KC

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cjzhang2000
Anybody stays at the CY before? I am going to do a mileage run to SJO, would like to stay there for a couple days. The best is they have airport shuttle, I don't need to pay for the taxi to other Marriott hotels.

I may want to take a half day trip (some sort) to see Costa Rica.
I realize this review is far too late to help the OP, but figured I'd report out on the Courtyard San Jose Alajuela anyway as I recently stayed there for two separate one-night stays in and out of San Jose.

Shuttle is easy enough to find at the airport (though there will be plenty of folks hustling for tips trying to "help" you get to it) on the arrivals level. From the hotel back it's as easy as showing up downstairs (as long as it's between 4 a.m. and 1 a.m. - not sure what the options are outside of those hours, probably a taxi). Heading back to SJO at around 6:30 a.m., a shuttle was just filled but they had a backup guy waiting in the parking lot who took my partner and I and another group of four immediately thereafter. It's about a 5-7 minute drive - easy peasy.

The hotel itself is modern and comfortable with reliable wifi access (complimentary as a Gold member, not sure if free at lower levels). Staff were super friendly.

My friend who was a Platinum was given complimentary breakfast for two at the restaurant, no luck for us with my Gold status. Had some nachos and adult beverages in the restaurant on our first evening arrival - the food was okay and overpriced, but they do have local craft brew (worth a try!) available at the bar. There are several casual restaurants just in front of the hotel in the little shopping center. Wal-Mart is right next door if you need to provision for your trip or pick up cheaper souvenirs / coffee to bring back home with you.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by KC
I realize this review is far too late to help the OP, but figured I'd report out on the Courtyard San Jose Alajuela anyway as I recently stayed there for two separate one-night stays in and out of San Jose.

My friend who was a Platinum was given complimentary breakfast for two at the restaurant, no luck for us with my Gold status.
Thanks for the update. I've added the property to the exec lounge sticky showing that Plats (not Gold) get free brekkie.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Which one?: CY Escazu vs Marriott

Hi,

I am torn between these 2 properties. I will be spending 2 nights in Costa Rica and will have a car.
I noticed that the CY rate is 1/2 of that of the Marriott and I am leaning towards the CY since I am expecting to spend most of my time away from the hotel.
Only pro's I see @ the Marriott are the benefits as a Plat - lounge access, etc (but sans complimentary alcohol).

The CY looks closer to the city (+what looks like a metro/suburban train).

What are the Plat benefits at the CY (if any?).

Cheers!
Old May 19, 2017, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

I am torn between these 2 properties. I will be spending 2 nights in Costa Rica and will have a car.
I noticed that the CY rate is 1/2 of that of the Marriott and I am leaning towards the CY since I am expecting to spend most of my time away from the hotel.
Only pro's I see @ the Marriott are the benefits as a Plat - lounge access, etc (but sans complimentary alcohol).

The CY looks closer to the city (+what looks like a metro/suburban train).

What are the Plat benefits at the CY (if any?).

Cheers!
I've stayed at both properties - the CY Escazu and Marriott in 2015, and returned to the Marriott in January, 2017. The CY is newer and fresher than the Marriott. I received a room upgrade at the CY to the largest suite I've ever had, which my son still is still envious of to this day. The hotel is right next to a shopping mall, so you have lots of dining options next door without driving. Otherwise, it feels like it's in the middle of business park land. No other benefits (no free breakfast).

The Marriott feels more resort like. We enjoyed it so much in 2015 that we spent a week with a travel package cert last year. The room didn't seem as good as the CY. But we much preferred the property - parrots in the morning and evening, nice property to walk, and although it's close to a highway, it does feel like you're at a resort. *downside to parrots are they are NOISY in the morning if you're pool facing!*

There's a few restaurants on site, but I can't give comments on them. We ate at the deli, and it was fine. Off-site, there's a few restaurants in a strip mall just 5 minutes from the front door (quite expensive to me), and a soda the opposite direction about a 10-15 minute walk. Definitely not as many choices as the CY. But the lounge meant we didn't eat anywhere but at the lounge for breakfast and dinner. We were always out during the day for lunch. This was one of the few places that mentioned "dinner" as opposed to "hors d'ouevres". Yes, no free alcoholic beverages. Honestly, this is as "Asian" feeling of a lounge as I've seen in North America from my limited variety of stays.

Road access is just as easy from either - the Marriott is a shorter distance to head up to La Paz or Poas. (3 minutes from the airport with no traffic) The CY quicker to hit the Pacific Coast. But we did a day trip to Jaco (near Los Suenos Marriott) with no problems from the Marriott. I wouldn't really consider heading into San Jose city itself as a benefit for either of the two. From the tales, I was too uncomfortable to drive and leave my vehicle in downtown, so we just hired a taxi.

Is the Marriott worth twice as much? Probably not for how you described your trip, but I definitely feel it's better due to the lounge and the feel of the property. For our family of 3, my cheap self would pay $50-$75 a day more with no hesitation (with status). If you have any more questions, I'll happily answer!
Old May 20, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
LIbera, Costa Rica Marriotts stay, any suggestion on which Marriotts property, JW Marriott Guanacaste or El Mangroove. Would a car be convenient or necessary? Which has the best amenities?
Old May 21, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by mrlasssen
LIbera, Costa Rica Marriotts stay, any suggestion on which Marriotts property, JW Marriott Guanacaste or El Mangroove. Would a car be convenient or necessary? Which has the best amenities?
Just curious. Did you read the thread? Your questions are probably answered in it.

Cheers.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just curious. Did you read the thread? Your questions are probably answered in it.

Cheers.
Yes, nothing current, did I miss something?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:06 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Quick review: June 2017

Hi,

I decided to go with the Marriott San Jose, Costa Rica instead of the Courtyard.

Location: even though not close to any interesting locations by foot, the property grounds itself was beautiful and large.

Check-in: I did an online check-in. What was great was upon arrival after parking my car, even before entering the lobby area, there was someone already waiting for me (I guess they got my name when I entered the property and the security guard passed my info on) with my room key and registration form. I was brought to my room directly and on the way given a quick tour of the different parts of the hotels and run down of my benefits. [the guy must have must have repeated the script " As our Elite member, we value your loyalty, so xxx is included/complimentary" )] The room
was upgraded to a pool and mountain view. I was asked if I was happy with the room - I had wanted to ask about a suite upgrade, but did not bother.

Room: The room (like the property) was in the traditional Hacienda style, rustique and rather spacious. It had a small French balcony. There was coffee and tea making facilities. View was beautiful towards the pool and the mountain/partial city.

Bathroom: This was decorated too in the same style. Would have been nice if the bathtub was more in a different style than the typical US template like tub. Normal Marriott amenities was provided.

Executive Lounge: The lounge opens from 6 am till 10 pm (if I remember correctly). Breakfast spread was good - with the local Gallo Pinto was available and other usual breakfast items. Sufficient spread for a lounge, am not sure if you could have made to order eggs (did not bother to ask). Evening spread was good with different hot meals - they even tolerated guests who wanted to take food away. Outside of these hours, they had small items, such as biscuits, fruits and chips. Too bad alcohol is chargeable - prices is close to US standard charges.

Pool:
Too bad the water temperature was on the colder side - rather strange since it does get the morning and afternoon sun. There is actually 3 pools with different temperature, the whirlpool, the cold pool and the normal pool (they are supposed to help your health). The whirlpool sadly is not in the best of state - still ok, but due to the trees/plants around it, it does get a bit filled with leaves/insects at the end of the day (i have seen them cleaning it in the mornings).

Staff: In general, all staff encountered and met was very friendly and helpful. They do remember a lot of the guests even those staying for a short period.

General:
A very beautiful property with it's own coffee plants. It is an attraction in itself with a very beautiful structure and one of the more unique Marriott that I have stayed. I would surely return if I am in the area. Even though there was quite a number of guests staying at the property, it hardly felt busy.
The property seems to be visited by a lot of the area's companies - mainly US based companies.
They do provide a shuttle to the airport (not sure if it's complimentary) and to the companies in the area (Intel at least).

Cheers!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:12 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Any updates on properties? Or any suggestions?

I have a work conference I'm considering taking to Costa Rica in October. 10-12 colleagues.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Any updates on properties? Or any suggestions?

I have a work conference I'm considering taking to Costa Rica in October. 10-12 colleagues.
There's an update 2 posts above yours

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.