Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Downtown Marriott Anchorage, AK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2000, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

I may be heading to Anchorage in December(this is not by choice, I assure you). I normally stay at the Captain Cook or Hilton, and was wondering how they compare to the Marriott. Obviously, the other two hotels have aged a bit, although they have been renovated.

I know I can receive Alaska miles for staying at any of the three hotels, so that's not an issue.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone have any recent experiences from this hotel...what are the best rooms to request here?
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I recommend a high floor on the west side. Outstanding views. If you aren't able to get one, you can enjoy the view from the Concierge Lounge.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 25, 2007 at 7:32 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
A 6 1/2 year old post with no replies, comes alive.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:41 pm

Who says Search doesn't work?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:14 pm

I agree with dayone ... the views from a high west-facing floor are spectacular. Stayed there last summer - can't beat "sunset" at midnight from these rooms. It's been a number of years since I stayed in the Hilton, but in my fading impressions I believe the Marriott is a much nicer property these days.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:05 pm

I had a great stay there about two years ago. They charge for parking, but I found free street parking with no problem.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
My wife and I had a great stay here some years ago for a couple of nights before a cruise departing from Seward. I can't compare it to the Hilton or Captain Cook, but just know the location was great, the staff super-friendly, the restaurant pretty nice, and the facilities clean and well-maintained.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
I had a great stay there about two years ago. They charge for parking, but I found free street parking with no problem.
IIRC, the street parking may require you to move your car once a day for some reason (time restriction, street cleaning, snow plowing, etc.). I got a ticket on one visit. It wasn't very expensive and I just walked down to street to pay it.

If you do need to move your car, the Conoco visitors lot is very friendly if you're "visiting" for a couple of hours.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Just finished an excellent four night stay at the Anchorage Marriott. They have the older rooms, but the views were superb, both from my room and the concierge lounge, and the staff was one of the friendliest and most helpful I've encountered at a Marriott property in recent years. And, much to my surprise, the concierge lounge was on Thanksgiving, which was a nice gesture.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, DL 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, *wood Platinum
I know this thread is semi-outdated but has anyone stayed there recently? I will be staying there for three nights in March 2009 and was wondering if there were any constructions? Is the Concierge Lounge open on weekends? Any suggestions on restaurants in the area? Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:36 am

I was there in May. No construction. CL was not open on the weekend, though the front desk was incredible and allowed me in to take some pictures of downtown and scenery (it is on the top floor).

I recommend Simon & Seafort's for dinner (view of the bay) and Snow City Cafe (best breakfast, get the Crab omelette). Both within walking distance.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
I stayed 1 night on a Cat 5 VISA Cert award in June '08.

Reception was very cheerful (even near midnight) and as a lowly Silver I was pleasantly surprised to be given Lounge access ^

My stay was on a weekday so I can't help ya with the weekend issue.

I don't recall any construction and thought my room was one of the largest Marriott rooms I had ever stayed in

+1 on Simon & Seafort (especially the halibut cheeks )

check out the Consolidated ANC Meetup thread in for some other popular ANC spots.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I recommend Simon & Seafort's for dinner (view of the bay) and Snow City Cafe (best breakfast, get the Crab omelette). Both within walking distance.
I concur. Both are excellent. S&S can get busy on the weekends, but I've not been there in Nov.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
Was there last November, had S&S for Thanksgiving and was excellent. It was starting to get a little bleak outside, but from top floor the views were excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.