Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by kchockeyfan
I am in the same boat as you. I made a purchase of Marriott gift cards through Ebates and have also not been credited for it yet. I also purchased gift cards through Top Cashback and haven't received a credit from them yet either. I am looking forward to seeing what other peoples experiences have been.
I used ebates when I purchased my very first Marriott GC (back then it was 1%). It didn't post (neither did Hoopla Doopla), however when I claimed it they got my tracking ticket and my invoice, and then I got my cash back. It takes some time but at least I got it.

Mr. Rebates tracked GC purchase 24 hours after I placed my order and now it's at the 'pending' stage.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mooper
Yes.
Sweet. I've got about $800 worth of Marriott stays coming up in about 2 weeks, so I think I'm going to buy some GC's. Anyone know how the purchase posts for the WN points offer (as Marriott or as Southwest). I need like 7k more points for my CP with WN, so if I can get 2x points using a WN card since it posts as a Southwest purchase, I'll probably do so. I searched and didn't find an answer to this anywhere else. Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Just looked at the AMT bonus T's and C's and it now states valid through 12/31/12!!! ^
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Just looked at the AMT bonus T's and C's and it now states valid through 12/31/12!!! ^
Nice find. I see that, too. Will verify it in a couple of hours and update the OP with that news, plus the FW 5.5% CB offer I need to add also. The Marriott Money Train continues, so it seems!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:52 am

I show 6.5% today on Fat Wallet.

On the marriott gift card promo site, they show AMT and PRIDE codes, each add 10% to your balance. Only the pride code states that you earn 1 pt per $ spent. is it the same for the AMT code? In addition will we earn our elite bonus points per room spend?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by slipkid

On the marriott gift card promo site, they show AMT and PRIDE codes, each add 10% to your balance. Only the pride code states that you earn 1 pt per $ spent. is it the same for the AMT code? In addition will we earn our elite bonus points per room spend?
So after using a GAZILLION of these puppies (AMT/free suitcase/10billion points per penny ) I can say I have ALWAYS rc'd the points properly...the marriott cc spend, nights, elite bonus ALL post properly. I frequently use corp codes and AAA (or is that AA ) and have no problem using these!!!

Good luck...these are a great savings for those of us who pay our own way. (Own a business)
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

I've updated to reflect the 6.5% (had been 5.5% earlier). Though you're correct that the PRIDE terms note that only 1 or 2 points will be earned, I haven't yet seen anyone report that it works that way in practice. Marriott would have to track spending on cards purchased with that promo separately, which is unlikely. Nevertheless, as the AMT discount is equal but doesn't carry the same point reduction stipulation, I suggest using that one instead.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:00 pm

So after using a GAZILLION of these puppies (AMT/free suitcase/10billion points per penny ) I can say I have ALWAYS rc'd the points properly...the marriott cc spend, nights, elite bonus ALL post properly. I frequently use corp codes and AAA (or is that AA ) and have no problem using these!!!

Good luck...these are a great savings for those of us who pay our own way. (Own a business)
Free suitcase? When and What was that promo?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:32 pm

Thank you, ordered $700 in GC's with the 10% bonus from AMT, and used the 6.5% fatwallet cashback. This will cover next weekends $760 bill at the Residence Inn North Conway, NH. In total we'll save over $100. Had I researched earlier that $760 would have been cheaper via the cashback sites. lesson learned.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by animalj7
Free suitcase? When and What was that promo?

OT-years ago they had a GREAT samsonite promo...buy 500, get a 22", buy 1K get a 26" IIRC. It was great...I think I ended up w/ 26ish+ suitcases that year! They were nice, hardside cases...MRSpp40 and PP40+ still use them. They were in hot pink and green!

Thank you, ordered $700 in GC's with the 10% bonus from AMT, and used the 6.5% fatwallet cashback. This will cover next weekends $760 bill at the Residence Inn North Conway, NH. In total we'll save over $100. Had I researched earlier that $760 would have been cheaper via the cashback sites. lesson learned.

As a note...it takes FOREVER for the g'c's to get here!! I live in PA/NY/NJ tri-state area...takes +5~8 business days from ORDER!!!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:52 am

OT-years ago they had a GREAT samsonite promo...buy 500, get a 22", buy 1K get a 26" IIRC. It was great...I think I ended up w/ 26ish+ suitcases that year! They were nice, hardside cases...MRSpp40 and PP40+ still use them. They were in hot pink and green!

As a note...it takes FOREVER for the g'c's to get here!! I live in PA/NY/NJ tri-state area...takes +5~8 business days from ORDER!!!
I requested the 2-3 day shipping for another $8.
better safe than sorry. needs to be here by the 14th.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Slightly OT - Has anyone actually received any hard cash from TopCashback? I have $200 (from $4K in Marriott GCs) credited in the Pending status from almost a month now. Its great to get an email within a couple of hours of purchase confirming the purchase and the earnings but I'd like to get my hands on my {hard earned} moolah!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Slightly OT - Has anyone actually received any hard cash from TopCashback? I have $200 (from $4K in Marriott GCs) credited in the Pending status from almost a month now. Its great to get an email within a couple of hours of purchase confirming the purchase and the earnings but I'd like to get my hands on my {hard earned} moolah!
my Paypal cleared last week. Very easy transaction.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I'm in a similar boat with TCB - my two transactions have been stuck in 'confirmed' status for several weeks.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trek87
I'm in a similar boat with TCB - my two transactions have been stuck in 'confirmed' status for several weeks.
The affiliate program that runs Marriott's program for all cash back providers doesn't pay out for several weeks after the transaction is complete. I don't know of any cash back provider that will forward payment before they've received it, so you'll have to wait at least until the waiting period stated in their T&C before you should expect progress. If that point passes and nothing changes, I suggest you contact TCB with proof of purchase, tracking info, screenshots, and anything else that would help resolve, and I suspect they'll be responsive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.