Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It's very annoying that there is no holiday GC offer this year! I don't live in the US and I don't have a US CC. All I'm depending on is the AMT/holiday offer.

Is there anyway for us who are not based in the US to get some good offers to get Marriott GCs?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tomsam
Hi Mooper - how do you break up your staples.com purchases to maximize Plink rewards since it caps out at $60?
Thanks.
To stack the additional 2 UR points/$ via the UR portal, you have to order online, and that entails paying an extra $1.99/GC fee. If you value UR @ 2 cents and Plink @ 1 cent, as I do, then here's the breakdown for various GC amounts (1 GC per order):

$50 GC: $1.25 in Plink + $1.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = + $.30 ($0.006 per GC $)
$100 GC: $3 in Plink + $2.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = +$3.05 ($0.0305 per GC $)
$150 GC: $3 in Plink + $3.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = +$4.05 ($0.027 per GC $)
$200 GC: $3 in Plink + $4.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = +$5.05 ($0.02525 per GC $)
$500 GC: $3 in Plink + $10.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = +$11.05 ($0.0221 per GC $)

As you can see, the return per $ spent is maximized with $100 GCs, where on top of the 5 UR/$ (which I value as a 10% discount), you're getting an extra ~3 cents/$ spent on GCs (3%), for a total discount of 13%. This could vary if your valuation of the Plink & UR points is substantially different, but you probably value them similarly.

Originally Posted by nacho
It's very annoying that there is no holiday GC offer this year! I don't live in the US and I don't have a US CC. All I'm depending on is the AMT/holiday offer.

Is there anyway for us who are not based in the US to get some good offers to get Marriott GCs?

Thanks in advance!
Annoying indeed, especially without a US CC. Aside from the fleeting sales and offers, the best you can do is probably to buy from the GC brokers like Cardpool, Raise, etc, stacking CB when possible, or if they pose problems because of a lack of US presence, then eBay.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mooper
To stack the additional 2 UR points/$ via the UR portal, you have to order online, and that entails paying an extra $1.99/GC fee. If you value UR @ 2 cents and Plink @ 1 cent, as I do, then here's the breakdown for various GC amounts (1 GC per order):

$50 GC: $1.25 in Plink + $1.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = + $.30 ($0.006 per GC $)
$100 GC: $3 in Plink + $2.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = +$3.05 ($0.0305 per GC $)
$150 GC: $3 in Plink + $3.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = +$4.05 ($0.027 per GC $)
$200 GC: $3 in Plink + $4.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = +$5.05 ($0.02525 per GC $)
$500 GC: $3 in Plink + $10.04 in UR - $1.99 fee = +$11.05 ($0.0221 per GC $)

As you can see, the return per $ spent is maximized with $100 GCs, where on top of the 5 UR/$ (which I value as a 10% discount), you're getting an extra ~3 cents/$ spent on GCs (3%), for a total discount of 13%. This could vary if your valuation of the Plink & UR points is substantially different, but you probably value them similarly.
Thanks Mooper, I appreciate the detail.
-tomsam
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
As of this morning:

Ebates is currently at 5% cash back

Big Crumbs is offering 3% cash back.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KMA26
As of this morning:

Ebates is currently at 5% cash back

Big Crumbs is offering 3% cash back.
Updated OP accordingly. Thx.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Over the weekend, I used the GCs I bought through the SW promo to pay for most of my bill, but I see that the only points that posted were for the small balance I paid with a credit card. I should have received the points for the amount paid with the GCs, correct? I just wanted to double-check before I start complaining to Marriott.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLisa
Over the weekend, I used the GCs I bought through the SW promo to pay for most of my bill, but I see that the only points that posted were for the small balance I paid with a credit card. I should have received the points for the amount paid with the GCs, correct? I just wanted to double-check before I start complaining to Marriott.
Points posted from your CC statement or posts posted from your stay (i.e., the 10-15 points/$ you always earn for stays)?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
Points posted from your CC statement or posts posted from your stay (i.e., the 10-15 points/$ you always earn for stays)?
From the stay. I don't have the Marriott card. It seems as though the gift card credits to the bill may have made it look like I only had a bill of about $40 instead of $1040. I paid $1000 with gift cards and the balance with my CSP.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
From the stay. I don't have the Marriott card. It seems as though the gift card credits to the bill may have made it look like I only had a bill of about $40 instead of $1040. I paid $1000 with gift cards and the balance with my CSP.
Yes, you should have received stay points for the portion of the invoice settled with GCs as well.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by tomsam
Yes, you should have received stay points for the portion of the invoice settled with GCs as well.
That's what I thought. Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

In many dozens of GC pays, never had that happen. Odd. Shouldn't matter how you paid, just how much you paid, so yes, you should have gotten all points regardless. Only if there was a credit given (such as a refund because of a complaint) should the total amount billed and therefore the total points earned be decreased.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:11 pm

I think there is some discussion of this happening from time to time when using gift cards for less than the full amount and a credit card for the rest. It's a glitch of some sort. I can't remember but it may have even happened to me and it was a hassle to resolve. I was a bigger player in the Marriot gift card world back during the honeymoon registry gift card boondoggle days, and if I had to guess there may have been some discussion of this issue back in those ancient threads, but I am too lazy to try to look.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
had a similar problem using GCs during the last stay at the Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco wherein if my bill was the equivalent of $1040 and I gave them a non-used GC for $1000 my bill was just reduced to the remaining $40 (which I paid w my Marriott Visa) but the Invoice would only reflect the $40 is if this was the full amount due/paid (and points would be obtained only for the $40 - partly my own fault for not checking the bill thoroughly before leaving but I had a flight out of Nice, but using the GC printout was able to get elite contact to eventually post points for the $1000)........

Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
had a similar problem using GCs during the last stay at the Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco wherein if my bill was the equivalent of $1040 and I gave them a non-used GC for $1000 my bill was just reduced to the remaining $40 (which I paid w my Marriott Visa) but the Invoice would only reflect the $40 is if this was the full amount due/paid (and points would be obtained only for the $40 - partly my own fault for not checking the bill thoroughly before leaving but I had a flight out of Nice, but using the GC printout was able to get elite contact to eventually post points for the $1000)........
This hap-pens when system and/or operator mistakenly record GC payment as "coupon" (i.e rate reduction) rather than "payment". Depending in jurisdiction and how the "reduction" is applied, this may or may not result in tax reduction and hence cant count on it to catch it. It helps when MRP earned are printed on bill itself.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just want to express my thanks to the OP and all the contributors to this thread which is making this an extremely informative, accurate and up to date information on this subject matter. I wish the other hotel forums are as organized as the Marriott one. This is most helpful, many thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.