Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Can someone who has earned the cash back through ebates clarify that I am on the right track here, please? When I log into ebates and link to Marriott, it takes me to Marriott's regular hotel site. To purchase the gift cards, I hovered over the Shop Marriott link on the bottom of the page and clicked on the gift card link which opened up a new page with a different web address. This type of purchase arrangement seems like one that doesn't usually work with cash back sites, no? Am I missing something?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by stevekoe
Can someone who has earned the cash back through ebates clarify that I am on the right track here, please? When I log into ebates and link to Marriott, it takes me to Marriott's regular hotel site. To purchase the gift cards, I hovered over the Shop Marriott link on the bottom of the page and clicked on the gift card link which opened up a new page with a different web address. This type of purchase arrangement seems like one that doesn't usually work with cash back sites, no? Am I missing something?
As long as the cookie persists through the new tab/window spawn, it should be fine. Your settings can have an impact. I don't have any direct experience with this, but as all CB sites use the same CJ affiliate program (cookies behave the same) and FTer Nacho reported upthread that the new window spawn worked for Mr. Rebates, I'm presuming it will work with eBates, too. Would be nice if someone verified, however, and of course a link directly to the gifts.marriott.com site is preferable but not available through eBates (as far as I'm aware).
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by stevekoe
Yes, you start from there and then click gift card - not shop Marriott. When you click GC then it will show the GC page. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago and it didn't open a new window.

Make sure that you get a tracking ticket and you know which tracking ticket that leads to the purchase. There is a chance that they couldn't track, and as long as you can tell them the tracking ticket number and order number then you should be fine.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Noticed that the eBates 6.5% CB is part of their Labor Day Special, so likely expires around the 4th... the same time the Amtrak and some other gift card discounts expire. The 23% total available discount is the best we've seen in many months, so there's less than a week to jump on it. Could see some other nice offers around the holidays, but I doubt any opportunities will exceed the current one.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mooper: ebates for Marriott is only for stays until the end of 2012 - I saw it at ebates earlier today.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Mooper: ebates for Marriott is only for stays until the end of 2012 - I saw it at ebates earlier today.
Thanks. The offer probably ends around Sept 4th anyway, and I suspect most people don't book more than 4 months out, but good to know in case. If you have a link to those terms, I'd appreciate it.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper
Thanks. The offer probably ends around Sept 4th anyway, and I suspect most people don't book more than 4 months out, but good to know in case. If you have a link to those terms, I'd appreciate it.
I do actually book more than 4 months out because of the LNF possibility - you got to book when the rate is there

I can't find the link but I wrote on their FB wall. I'll update when I hear from them.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Removed expired Chase UR strategy from OP.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got a reply from ebates and they don't seem to have to the valid for stays until 12/31/2012 thing, so I guess I can book my stays months ahead
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Wondering what everyone is planning for the rest of the year re:gift cards. I have ~$10K booked until 12/31, only have $1500 in GC's. Think we will see a better offer then what we currently have (10%off)????? I am thinking to hold off and order when we see the next offer-although this might "bite me" in the rear!!
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Wondering what everyone is planning for the rest of the year re:gift cards. I have ~$10K booked until 12/31, only have $1500 in GC's. Think we will see a better offer then what we currently have (10%off)????? I am thinking to hold off and order when we see the next offer-although this might "bite me" in the rear!!
It's not exactly 10% off (you get 10% more $). I think the 6.5% cash back is simply super awesome, not sure you'll see it at the end of the year.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:40 am

There are two conflicting points regarding if Ebates is goign to pay the 6.5% on GC purchases at Marriott.

FWIW, I bought some GC's through the Mr. Rebates 5% opportunity last week, and despite the direct to Marriott.com and then new GC popup page, I was credited for the GC purchase by Mr Rebates the next day. I did the same with Ebates 6.5% offer on Wednesday morning and so far nothing has credited to my Ebates account, despite using the exact same system.

I'm a bit concerned that Ebates is not going to pay on GC purchases like Mr. Rebates did with the direct to Marriott.com then to the GC popup page from the option at the bottom. My tracking ticket shows my history, and I can dispute it with Ebates, but they do not mention GCs at all (nor does MR) and I'm concerned they might deny my claim, even though GC's are not specifically excluded (as they should be if they are).

Has anyone made a Ebates Marriott GC purchase and been credited yet?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH DIA, SPG Gold, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by MikeR397
There are two conflicting points regarding if Ebates is goign to pay the 6.5% on GC purchases at Marriott.

FWIW, I bought some GC's through the Mr. Rebates 5% opportunity last week, and despite the direct to Marriott.com and then new GC popup page, I was credited for the GC purchase by Mr Rebates the next day. I did the same with Ebates 6.5% offer on Wednesday morning and so far nothing has credited to my Ebates account, despite using the exact same system.

I'm a bit concerned that Ebates is not going to pay on GC purchases like Mr. Rebates did with the direct to Marriott.com then to the GC popup page from the option at the bottom. My tracking ticket shows my history, and I can dispute it with Ebates, but they do not mention GCs at all (nor does MR) and I'm concerned they might deny my claim, even though GC's are not specifically excluded (as they should be if they are).

Has anyone made a Ebates Marriott GC purchase and been credited yet?
I am in the same boat as you. I made a purchase of Marriott gift cards through Ebates and have also not been credited for it yet. I also purchased gift cards through Top Cashback and haven't received a credit from them yet either. I am looking forward to seeing what other peoples experiences have been.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by kchockeyfan
I am in the same boat as you. I made a purchase of Marriott gift cards through Ebates and have also not been credited for it yet. I also purchased gift cards through Top Cashback and haven't received a credit from them yet either. I am looking forward to seeing what other peoples experiences have been.
I use TCB all the time. Posts within an hour each GC purchase. Never an issue.

Now-back to my ?. Will we see better then +10% in September???? Thoughts?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
I use TCB all the time. Posts within an hour each GC purchase. Never an issue.

Now-back to my ?. Will we see better then +10% in September???? Thoughts?
Past years have sometimes seen offers better than 10% if you value miles/points at more than 1 CPM, however, I can't recall a time when cash back exceeded 6.5%. Stacking the 10% bonus with 6.5% cash back is hard to beat, and while I wouldn't be shocked if a better opportunity comes along, I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe you should consider hedging a bit... pick up half of the amount needed now, hope for a holiday promo to pick up the rest later?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.