Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by nacho
As far as I know the Mr. Rebates 5% is temporary, so book now if you know your dates.
Yea, I'd be booking in the next wk or so. Hopefully doesn't disappear. Btw, I checked Mr. Rebates and the IHG rebate is now 15% (your sig).
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I saw in another thread that the Marriott 5% rebates is until Sept 6, but I wouldn't count on it - It should be 5% at least until the end of August.

Yes Mr. Rebates has 15% for IHG until the end of August too - I have made and cancelled my bookings 3 times since Mr.Rebates and ebates are competiting - it was first 6%, then 9% and now 15% for being the highest rate (ebates has 13.5% cash back for IHG).
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by esteban105
So I'm considering booking a room @ JW Marriott in Phuket. What would be my best strategy?

I'm thinking...
1. Use Mr. Rebates link to purchase Marriott gift card - 5% back
2. Use Amtrak promo code for 10% bonus value
3. Book hotel stay through Mr. Rebates link - 5% back

And then do I still get the 5 MRP/$ when I finish the stay? (I have the Marriott Visa)
Also, if I pay for the gift card w/ my Chase Sapphire Preferred, would they consider that "travel"? (2x)

Thanks in advance.
Yes, perfect strategy, but be aware that if you want to use your Sapphire card to pay for the Gift Card, you won't get your 5 MRPs/$ for that charge, as you obviously will be using a different card. In case the Mr. Rebates offer ends on the 26th as I believe it will, you need to get all of your transactions in place today.

I saw in another thread that the Marriott 5% rebates is until Sept 6, but I wouldn't count on it - It should be 5% at least until the end of August.
I believe that other person was confusing the deadline for a $50 on $100 offer that was listed in an email as ending Sept. 6 with the cashback offer, which Mr. Rebates has listed as part of their Back To School promotion, specified to end August 26th. Hopefully I'm wrong, but my read is that it ends on Aug 26th.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper
I believe that other person was confusing the deadline for a $50 on $100 offer that was listed in an email as ending Sept. 6 with the cashback offer, which Mr. Rebates has listed as part of their Back To School promotion, specified to end August 26th. Hopefully I'm wrong, but my read is that it ends on Aug 26th.
I think you are right, Mooper - now I have to make sure I make all the ressies I need, thanks ^
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold

Yes Mr. Rebates has 15% for IHG until the end of August too - I have made and cancelled my bookings 3 times since Mr.Rebates and ebates are competiting - it was first 6%, then 9% and now 15% for being the highest rate (ebates has 13.5% cash back for IHG).
I just made a booking at both a Holiday Inn and a Marriott yesterday using Mr. Rebates. How long will it be before it usually shows up as tracking? The tracking ticket is in there, but I don't see anything pending. This is the first time I've used Mr. Rebates for a hotel. Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majikow
I just made a booking at both a Holiday Inn and a Marriott yesterday using Mr. Rebates. How long will it be before it usually shows up as tracking? The tracking ticket is in there, but I don't see anything pending. This is the first time I've used Mr. Rebates for a hotel. Thanks.
Every CB program varies in how/when they report, but the affiliate program they use is the same. The tracking shows up in the affiliate program by the next day, and often in the tracking of the CB provider as well (not necessarily). You won't receive payment, however, until a few weeks after your stay is *complete*. In other words, if you booked a stay today for the night of Nov 20, you might not see your cash back until the turn of the year.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My IHG stays posted app. 7 days after my stay and it stays pending until 45 days later. Similar with Marriott - maybe it took longer to post, so don't expect any $ until 90 days after it posted.

I found out that it's very useful to add note at your tracking tickets at Mr. Rebates then you know which ticket is for what. You can easily find the ticket to file a claim if you know which ticket is for which reservation.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:29 pm

If you just received the 70K offer, perhaps it is still alive. You're the first person I've seen report as such. Are you sure it is publicly available, as the old 0K offer was, or was just targeted to you? Please go to this thread and consider sharing the sign-up link. Or, if no link was provided, mention the expiration listed on your offer so others know it might still be alive in a targeted sense (if targeted, that should still allow people the option to request a match). Thanks!

I did check my email and it is a targeted offer. I have until the end of September to apply for this offer.

I will post this over in your suggested thread (since you requested), but I'm not a real fan of posting targeted links when they are 'targeted offers'.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoreline
I did check my email and it is a targeted offer. I have until the end of September to apply for this offer.

I will post this over in your suggested thread (since you requested), but I'm not a real fan of posting targeted links when they are 'targeted offers'.
Sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant that if you received a link that wasn't customized to allow only you to sign up (i.e., others could use it successfully), you should share. The important thing, however, is that the 70K offer is still alive for some people, therefore allowing bump/match requests (for now). Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 1:01 am

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant that if you received a link that wasn't customized to allow only you to sign up (i.e., others could use it successfully), you should share. The important thing, however, is that the 70K offer is still alive for some people, therefore allowing bump/match requests (for now). Thanks for sharing.
When I click the link it does not appear to have my name included anywhere, but in the email it does.

How do I know if you or someone else can click the link and use it?
If it's a general promo. I am happy to share the link.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoreline
When I click the link it does not appear to have my name included anywhere, but in the email it does.

How do I know if you or someone else can click the link and use it?
If it's a general promo. I am happy to share the link.
Kind of you to consider. If the link doesn't contain a unique variable that is mapped to your individual info (and therefore can be used to identify who used it), then it's not targeted. However, it could contain a variable that is used for other purposes (e.g., to identify traffic coming from an email campaign versus paid search ads versus other sources), and there's really no way to tell with certainty. You can take an educated guess by looking at the format, the name of the variable, and so on, but you can't always deduce. One thing you could do is to try to change the variable that is used to identify you (if you can determine which it is) and see if that "breaks" the link or if it is still valid and displays the correct offer. If you want me to take a look, I'd promise to keep it confidential and give it a look if you PM it to me, but I can't promise to figure it out.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:16 am

With Holiday Inn, it has been my experience that the cash back posts the same day your points post for your stay. For example I had a stay last week - August 21-22 at HIX on a prepaid rate. I checked out on the 23rd, the points posted this morning, so did the cash back :

8/26/2012 8/12/2012 Holiday Inn 68293818_HESCA_ADAR $191.52 $28.73
8/15/2012 8/15/2012 Marriott AB28403273 $250.00 $12.50

The Marriott post is for a gift card. I used the AMT promotion and the cash back posted 2 days later. So, your cash back will post a few days after you check out, not after you make your booking.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:08 am

Ebates is at 6.5% cashback. Does anyone know if gift cards apply?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I have bought GC through ebates once, and I got $ back.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up. This really increases the ante... stacking 6.5% for a GC plus 10% off using Amtrak promo code AMT plus 6.5% again for the reservation = 23% off almost any stay. Very nice! Updated the OP accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.