Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

advise for a nice quick weekend getaway in the SF Bay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP

I got 2 freebies from the last promo that needs to be used by the end of the month. I'm thinking about taking the wife for a nice drive from San Jose somewhere and spend Memorial day weekend. I'm up to drive up to 2 hours from San Jose, so Monterey, Carmel, San Francisco and slightly further north of that. Any suggestions?
Old May 14, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I am biased because I used to live in Monterey, but I think that would be a perfect weekend getaway from the hustle and bustle of Silicon Valley. I tried escapes to San Francisco and found that place to be more stressful than home--horrible parking, expensive hotels and restaurants, homeless people everywhere, etc.

The Monterey Marriott is an underrated gem in the chain. The service there is wonderful, the location almost ideal, and the view from some of the rooms worth five times the price they charge...
Old May 14, 2012, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
2011 Visa MegaBonus Free Night Certificate, Cat 1-4 hotel

according to that I can only stay at a cat 4 hotel max. What's the monterey one? I tried to look but it doesn't say.
Old May 14, 2012, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I am biased because I used to live in Monterey, but I think that would be a perfect weekend getaway from the hustle and bustle ...........
Old May 14, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Monterey Marriott is a Cat 6
Old May 14, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
according to that I can only stay at a cat 4 hotel max. What's the monterey one? I tried to look but it doesn't say.
It's a cat 6, listed right on the front page of the hotel website.
Old May 14, 2012, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Residence Inn Salinas Monterey
Courtyard Salinas Monterey

are the closest Cat 1-4's

Old May 14, 2012, 9:38 pm

It's right on the hotel website, Monterey is a Cat 6, although I had a nice stay there last year. The problem is that in the Bay Area (where I live) I don't think there are a lot of interesting Cat 4's. I think most of the wine country Marriotts are higher as well but it's easy to check.

I used my last Cat 4's at the Fairfield in Capitola, next to Santa Cruz, brand new hotel and I thought it was quite nice if you like the area. I thought I saw they raised it to a Cat 5, but now it says Cat 4 so either I goofed or they moved it back down.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If you would consider driving a little further, the Santa Maria Fairfield Inn is a category 4 and is very new. I was treated very well there and its about a 30 minute drive into the local wine area.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:49 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
The Monterey Marriott is an underrated gem in the chain. The service there is wonderful, the location almost ideal, and the view from some of the rooms worth five times the price they charge...
Agreed! Only stayed there one night, but got upgraded to the Presidential Suite
Old May 15, 2012, 8:35 pm

We are going to use our two cat 4s at either San Ramon Marriott, Walnut Creek Marriott or Walnut Creek Ren. They are all cat 3 or 4.
Old May 15, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by michelin
If you would consider driving a little further, the Santa Maria Fairfield Inn is a category 4 and is very new. I was treated very well there and its about a 30 minute drive into the local wine area.
Funny that you mention that one, I was just there to attend a wedding. About 3 hours from San Jose, compared to the 2 the OP mentioned. You're right, it is new, and we were treated very well there also, upgraded to a suite. However, I'm not crazy about the location, right off the freeway next to a couple other hotels and a farm supply company IIRC, views of the fields, didn't seem to be much nearby. Although to be fair, I don't know what else is in Santa Maria and we didn't have time to go look for wine.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Agreed! Only stayed there one night, but got upgraded to the Presidential Suite
I was a lowly gold when I stayed in Monterey, so no Presidential Suite But I was upgraded to a nice view of the bay
Old May 16, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite

according to that I can only stay at a cat 4 hotel max.
With Marriott categories going from 1 to 8, you won't be able to stay at high-end Marriott properties in high-demand locations. But there are still many options that are near visitor destinations. Many Courtyard, Fairfield, and other limited service properties in Northern California are available to you. There are even full-service properties that are category 4 and below, although primarily only in suburban locations.

How about a property that's not too far from the California Wine Country? With a Visa Signature card, you can get free wine tastings at more than 70 different Sonoma area wineries.

How about a property in the Marin County area for visits to Muir Woods National Monument, Sausalito, and other local attractions?

If you like amusement parks, there's California's Great America in Santa Clara and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, with Marriott properties near each of them.

It really depends on what you want to do. Sign in to Marriott.com, click on "Use Marriott Rewards points," and try various locations that interest you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.