FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   47K Marriott pts vs. 19K HH pts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1335873-47k-marriott-pts-vs-19k-hh-pts.html)

passionpurple Apr 14, 2012 10:41 am

47K Marriott pts vs. 19K HH pts

I have about 19K HH points from a couple of weeks of travel for work. I switched from Hilton to Marriott due to better rates at Marriott for the city where I was travelling to. Now Im getting ready to travel to NYC for work and am finding that Hilton has the lower rates in this city. The majority (not all) of the Marriott hotels are over my company's budgeted-amount-per-night. Now the question is, should I give up on trying to accmulate my Marriott points and try Hilton instead, since I have more options? I will be travelling for an extended period of time. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Bigshaker Apr 14, 2012 11:24 am

Originally Posted by passionpurple (Post 18392306)
I have about 19K HH points from a couple of weeks of travel for work. I switched from Hilton to Marriott due to better rates at Marriott for the city where I was travelling to. Now Im getting ready to travel to NYC for work and am finding that Hilton has the lower rates in this city. The majority (not all) of the Marriott hotels are over my company's budgeted-amount-per-night. Now the question is, should I give up on trying to accmulate my Marriott points and try Hilton instead, since I have more options? I will be travelling for an extended period of time. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Double Hilton points right now (promo) so that would be a lot of earned points in expensive NYC. That said, per your other post, I'd choose SPG over either Marriott or Hilton. Way easier to redeem points with SPG and more choices IMHO
SPG has a promo coming May 1st that may be very beneficial...

MSPeconomist Apr 14, 2012 11:47 am

You seem to have also posted this in the Hilton forum, with a very similar post that I answered in Starwood.

doctor3 Apr 14, 2012 1:30 pm

If it were up to me (I do have both top tier Marriott and HHonors), I would check several things:

1. What is your requirement toward maintaining your Hhonors status since Marriott is purely on # of nights. You can probably take opportunities to do some mattress hopping to maintain your status on Hhonors.

2. Which of the programs do you frequently use for your free rewards.

3. What are the current quarter promotions that can maximize the your points potential. As someone pointed out, Hilton is offering double points/miles this quarter so if you have already maxed out your megabonus for the quarter to take advantage of the Hilton.

4. Based on the locations, how are the facilities? You may want to pick ones that will take care of your needs. Sometimes having good services does outweigh the points earned.

Bottomline, you have to make some decisions and every person may come to different decision based on above as well as other criteria.

--Not sure how SPG got into the discussion, but I am under the impression that you are comparing Hilton versus Marriott. If SPG is also part of the equation, then you need to factor it into above decisions as well.

l8r

-doc

ssoonngg123 Apr 14, 2012 1:31 pm

don't forget the stay 2 get 1 promo for marriott.

pinniped Apr 16, 2012 10:26 am

What exactly is the question?

- Thread title makes it sound like you're comparing 47k MR to 19k HH. I personally value 1 MR more than 1 HH, so that one's an easy call. :)

- Your travels are now sending you to NYC, where Marriott is out of the question due to your corporate rates. Is your decision now HH vs. SPG? In New York, I *think* you'd be better off with SPG since there are many, many properties, increasing the likelihood that you'd have multiple choices with your corporate rates. And in general, I just like SPG better than HH - both from a redemption perspective and based on how they (usually) treat their Platinum members.

- Are you looking for a long-term single place for your loyalty from amongst HH, MR, and SPG? Each has their pros and cons...start by confirming which status tier you'd reach in each one based on your stay patterns (don't forget to include the benefits of each chain's credit card). Then go to what kind of hotels you'd want to redeem for awards. For me, SPG is strong for short stays...Cash & Points. HH is optimal for resort stays of 4 or 6 nights. MR is strong for city stays where I want to stay a while...7-nighters using the Travel Packages. By comparing your stay types, your elite level, and the "sweet spots" for redemption, you'll probably rule one or more of them in or out quickly.

Daytrader Apr 16, 2012 11:58 am

It takes 50,000 points at Hilton for a $100 Gift card and only 25,000 points at Marriott for a $100 Gift Card.