Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Hamburg, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

I stayed there 1 year ago and I might be staying there again (choose between CY or the Renaissance). Has anyone stayed there recently? Are there any Gold benefits apart from the free breakfast?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
No benefit apart from free breakfast, sadly...make sure you ask if you got your upgrade at checkin as they sometimes "forget" to give one to you, and their Broschek rooms are REALLY small... And be aware that even though they have "Concierge rooms", there is no such thing as a Concierge Lounge. These rooms are just large (think about twice the "Courtyard room" at the Courtyard Hamburg), but offer no other benefit.

That said I enjoy their historic building and the athmosphere from that - it has been a publishing house of a local newspaper in the past, and they theme the hotel accordingly. I also like their daily restaurant offer, called the Journalist's plate, which was very good each time I tried it and is very reasonably priced.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks! What kind of upgrade should I be expecting? Last time I got a Deluxe room as an upgrade.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:03 am

Strictly one category, so from Broschek to Deluxe and from Deluxe to Club room respectively.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djohannw
Strictly one category, so from Broschek to Deluxe and from Deluxe to Club room respectively.

Greetings - Dirk
That's pretty much the 'rule' in CY Hamburg, CY Bremen. In Hamburg I even had to ask, but in Bremen they told us very strict forward, you are receiving a one category upgrade.

I saw that the Renaissance now has coffee and tea making facilities, which they didn't have last year. Do they really have a kettle in all rooms now?

I wish the Renaissance in Hamburg treats elites like the one in Dusseldorf.

Fortunately Gold has prevented us from staying in a Brosheck room

Thanks for the info!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:34 pm
Suspended

I have a 9 am flight home to the USA from Hamburg. Do you think that the breakfast is served at 6 AM from the Renaissance or should I jus stay put at the C/Y as I am coming into Ham at around 6 PM the night before. Have never been to the city, but acess via the U1 from the C/Y into the city is not that much of a problem from what I have learned.

Thanks,

NJ
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
with the security checks, if you have a 9AM departure you'd need to be at the airport by 7.........even if you start brekkie at 6, you still need to transit from the Ren to the airport........... cutting it kinda close...........

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I have a 9 am flight home to the USA from Hamburg. Do you think that the breakfast is served at 6 AM from the Renaissance or should I jus stay put at the C/Y as I am coming into Ham at around 6 PM the night before. Have never been to the city, but acess via the U1 from the C/Y into the city is not that much of a problem from what I have learned.

Thanks,

NJ
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
with the security checks, if you have a 9AM departure you'd need to be at the airport by 7.........even if you start brekkie at 6, you still need to transit from the Ren to the airport........... cutting it kinda close...........
Yeah, thanks, BK. I thought that it could take just 1/2 hour to the airport from the hotel as the s bahn system seems efficient.

On the other hand, I think I read that the C/Y begins serving breakfast at 5:30 AM. Anyone know?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
website shows: The restaurant Concorde is open daily ........ From 5.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. (until 10 a.m. on Sundays) we offer a comprehensive breakfast buffet

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Yeah, thanks, BK. I thought that it could take just 1/2 hour to the airport from the hotel as the s bahn system seems efficient. On the other hand, I think I read that the C/Y begins serving breakfast at 5:30 AM. Anyone know?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
website shows: The restaurant Concorde is open daily ........ From 5.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. (until 10 a.m. on Sundays) we offer a comprehensive breakfast buffet
Thanks, BK!

Now, if I could only guarantee a bed type. There appears to be a glitch online, perhaps intentional, that does not guarantee a double or a Queen or King bed but only a single twin bed -- even though the room clearly is booked for 2 people.

My other alternative at the moment is the HIX Hamburg Center with a good position and around 81 Euros with a AAA rate -- breakfast included, but it still may bee too late for my needs.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:36 am

Just for info:

Ren its about 3-4 minutes walk away from Jungfernstieg station.

S1 from Jungfernstieg station to HAM airport takes 28 minutes. S1 separates into 2 parts at Ohlsdorf station - front part of the train goes to the airport.

U1 from Jungfernstieg station takes 17 minutes to Ohlsdorf, there you must then change to S1 to get to the airport. S1 then needs 3 minutes to reach the airport.

Here you find the timetable for U1 and S1:

http://www.hvv.de/pdf/fahrplaene/fah...11.12.2011.pdf

http://www.hvv.de/pdf/fahrplaene/fah...11.12.2011.pdf
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:42 am
Suspended

Thanks very much PetzLux! I was able to figure that out after some work on the S-Bahn site yesterday, but your statements ratified what I had concluded and I did not have the schedules.

I think it very likely that my choice will come down to the C/Y, the HIX Hamburg Centre and perhaps the Radisson Airport hotel.

Although I could do a cash and points for 4,000 SPG points and $60 at the Royal Le Meridien, a very good hotel, I think the greater difficulty in reaching that hotel by mass transit and the fact that I will be in the room a maximum of 12 hours militates against it, unless someone could convince me otherwise.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Courtyard is a dump.

Radisson Airport is very nice and has the advantage of being within walking distance of the terminal.

Ren is rob ably my favourite. Good location, nice breakfast and I've always had good upgrades there. Only drawback is that there is often quite a wait for a taxi in the morning.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thegoderic
Courtyard is a dump.

Radisson Airport is very nice and has the advantage of being within walking distance of the terminal.

Ren is rob ably my favourite. Good location, nice breakfast and I've always had good upgrades there. Only drawback is that there is often quite a wait for a taxi in the morning.
I think CY is ok - especially if you can score LNF. At least they have LCD TV there.

How much upgrade did you get when you are staying at the Ren?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I think CY is ok - especially if you can score LNF.
Second that - and it's one of the easier places to score an LNF. It's certainly not a luxurious experience, but a decent airport hotel. And it's also walkable to the terminal if you insist to forgo the shuttle - ten minutes walk maximum. No idea where the Radisson is located, but I think it cannot be that much closer to the terminal...

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.