Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Marriott Rewards 2012 Hotel Category Changes

Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, SPG Plat, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
I noticed something weird on my reservation at Ko Olina also (I booked the JW, not sure if you booked that one or the beach club). I booked it and already had the 180k points deducted, but when I look at the reservation detail, it shows total points for stay 210k. I hope that doesn't mean I will need more points before i go - I am planning to call Marriott later so I will post what I find out.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by maggiew
This is NOT true! I have a reservation at the Ko Olina Beach Club that I made a long time ago. And when I went in and looked at the reservation today, it has been changed to show the new category thus needing more points.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't actually "buy" the certs yet with the points since I didn't have enough points yet for the whole reservation.

This sucks because now I won't have enough points before the trip and we just bought our airline tickets. I am going to have to switch to the Marriott Waikiki for the whole trip. :-(

And the Cat 4 certs I was planning on using at the CY Waikiki from a megabonus promo that I will get from a trip next week are useless.

Maggie
Maggie,

It actually is true, let me explain what happens - the hotel pulls the correct number of points based upon their category on they date you check-in, Marriott Rewards will add the difference in point value to your acccount so the actual number of points you spent are based upon the hotels category on date of reservation

Hope this helps clear things up

Soc
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kbh1234
I noticed something weird on my reservation at Ko Olina also (I booked the JW, not sure if you booked that one or the beach club). I booked it and already had the 180k points deducted, but when I look at the reservation detail, it shows total points for stay 210k. I hope that doesn't mean I will need more points before i go - I am planning to call Marriott later so I will post what I find out.
Marriott Rewards will "pay" the point difference
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, SPG Plat, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by socrates
Thanks for clearing that up!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
I made a booking on the 15th while the hotel still accepted the old system (Cat. 6) even though on the website it showed Cat. 7. The points were already deducted from my account based on Cat.6 and the confirmation email also showed the same. Will I have problem (being charged for more points) when I check in next month? Thanks.

WJ
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:42 am

So, what will happen when I go to buy the cert in a couple weeks? Will it be the old structure or the new structure? I had the reservation (but not the cert) before the change date.

Thanks!

Maggie
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you have the points call MR and they will order the right cert. Normally I do it online, but in this case I would call.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kbh1234
Maggie,

It actually is true, let me explain what happens - the hotel pulls the correct number of points based upon their category on they date you check-in, Marriott Rewards will add the difference in point value to your acccount so the actual number of points you spent are based upon the hotels category on date of reservation

Hope this helps clear things up

Soc

This same situation happened to me last year. I booked the Aruba Stellaris as a cat 7 right before it became a cat 8. The correct 140,000 points were pulled from my account when it booked. A few weeks later the reservation showed as 160,000 points but no additional points were pulled from my account.

Of course, by the time I checked in it had dropped back to a cat 7 so this might have made a difference at check-in.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maggiew
So, what will happen when I go to buy the cert in a couple weeks? Will it be the old structure or the new structure? I had the reservation (but not the cert) before the change date.

Thanks!

Maggie
If you have an issue call MR - they be sure you are taken care of
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:16 am

[L]et me explain what happens - the hotel pulls the correct number of points based upon their category on they date you check-in, Marriott Rewards will add the difference in point value to your acccount so the actual number of points you spent are based upon the hotels category on date of reservation
socrates, I realize you may just be summarizing the end result, but do the properties actually "pull" the points? If so, what do they do with them?

A couple years back I was talking with someone who should know at one of the Marriott full service hotels and he said that Marriott itself is the one that deducts the points from an individual's account, the property itself does not "collect" or see the points. Rather, after the property reports you consumed the stay, Marriott pays (or maybe credits) the property a monetary amount for the night consumed.

If that's the case, it makes sense that Marriott would be able to provide the "fix" since it's essentially just a bookkeeping entry done at their level.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Counsellor
socrates, I realize you may just be summarizing the end result, but do the properties actually "pull" the points? If so, what do they do with them?

A couple years back I was talking with someone who should know at one of the Marriott full service hotels and he said that Marriott itself is the one that deducts the points from an individual's account, the property itself does not "collect" or see the points. Rather, after the property reports you consumed the stay, Marriott pays (or maybe credits) the property a monetary amount for the night consumed.

If that's the case, it makes sense that Marriott would be able to provide the "fix" since it's essentially just a bookkeeping entry done at their level.
I am summarizing but while it is typically the guests that pull/redeem the points a hotel can contact MR on behalf of the guest as well (additionally hotels can see your available certs already issued etc) so it's just easier for MR to deposit additional points into the guests account so the correct number of points can be redeemed for the stay
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
kind of stinks that i need to change a redemption ressie...made in JANUARY...BACK to the date I booked originally (same weekend..booked Sat changed to fri-now need to change BACK to sat......and i don't want to foul it up online so i called..and since MR is closed, i have to wait til monday...

VERY frustrating....*sigh*

i would love to shift more of my (somewhat limited) business away from marriott..but they have more properties and better rates when i need to travel....and since it's all on my dime....
Old May 5, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
This clearly degrades the value of the annual free night that comes along with the Marriott Premier credit card. Some of the hotels that one could have stayed at in the past using the free night cert. would no longer be possibilities.
Agreed. I have to go out of my way to find a use for a cat 1-4 cert.

Last edited by macft; Jun 21, 2012 at 6:47 am
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:33 pm
inY

Was March 15, 2012 supposed to be the only date that categories change? The Residence Inn Edinburgh is now (July 1) showing as category 5, but it was category 4 just a few days ago. It was not on the list.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by inY
Was March 15, 2012 supposed to be the only date that categories change? The Residence Inn Edinburgh is now (July 1) showing as category 5, but it was category 4 just a few days ago. It was not on the list.
Starwood has been quietly changing some hotel categories mid year. Has Marriott now done the same as well?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.