Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
I noticed that the Marriott forum has quite a few "stickie" threads and that the number has been slowly growing over the years. Also, it seems most of the other hotel/airline forums have a "master" FAQ thread at the top of their forums.

So I thought it might be a good idea if we tried to put together a Marriott Master FAQ thread. I have started one below with some general topics (I admit that I looked at the Hilton and the Starwood FAQs to get some ideas.)

My thoughts are that people could chime in with suggestions on additions, topic areas, etc. Whatever anyone thinks would be helpful.

So don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts (even if you think I'm totally doing it wrong.)

Marriott and Starwood Merger Threads

Important Marriott Forum Member's Threads

Popular Hotel and City Master Threads

Marriott Elite levels, benefits, status
Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Can my spouse and I both get lounge guests?
2014 Status Buyback is back!
Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status
Platinum Premier level, 2016-present
Does Marriott match other programs' elite status?
"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Questions involving rollover nights
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Platinum worth it?
Questions about "The Ultimate Guarantee"
Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier
Official Upgrade Policy
Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation
Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016
Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?
Is Free Internet Available for Multiple Rooms?
Platinum redeeming points for someone else - upgrades?
Simultaneous Stays - Multiple Elite Nights?
Multiple Rooms Rules for Elites
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Ritz Carlton Rewards Marriott Rewards Points Marriott Rewards Promotions/Bonus Opportunities Marriott/Ritz Carlton Credit Cards Marriott Program Comparisons with other Hotel Programs General Marriott Threads for FlyerTalk members
Print Wikipost

Marriott FAQ Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
In general, free breakfast for Gold or Plats is NOT a stated benefit at CYs. So most likely you won't get free breakfast. But there are Full Service (FS) CYs outside NA where they have lounges and will give Gold/Plats access which usually come with free breakfast. Also, at least my experience has been that the corporate rates I use at CYs are more likely to include breakfast than I see at other Marriott chains.
Is there an easy way to determine if a CY has a lounge available to Gold/Plat other than calling each hotel? I don't see a list other than the list of which lounges are closed on weekends. Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The 2 sticky threads listing hotels with open/closed lounges is probably the best place to look. I don't think Marriott's website will let you search based on whether a hotel has a lounge or not (though you can search just certain hotel brands).

If you go to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html and do a search for "Courtyard", you should find almost 60 hits. While that may not hit every single CY outside NA that has a lounge, I'm betting its a majority of them.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by rrgg
Is there an easy way to determine if a CY has a lounge available to Gold/Plat other than calling each hotel? I don't see a list other than the list of which lounges are closed on weekends. Thanks.
It maybe easier to go to the hotel's individual listing on the Marriott website and have a look at their rooms. If you see a type of room with executive lounge or similar, you'll have your answer.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I usually just ask Marriott Rewards directly. They told me they can see it.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:31 pm

Probably posting in the wrong thread but here's my story. My wife and I pooled over 300k points in 2015 for a trip through Italy. I developed a severe health issue and we had to cancel the trip. All points were refunded and fortunately I'm well now. I fully realize there is ongoing devaluation of rewards programs. However, when I try rebooking my trip at hotels like the Grand Hotel Flora in Rome it not only requires 45,000 points but also 200 Euro a night! The Boscolo Venezia is 45,000 points AND 350 EURO PER NIGHT. How on earth is this considered an award stay?? I wan't in a coma for 2 years, when did this happen?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Most likely what you are seeing is the hotel doesn't have any standard rooms available for awards during the times you are looking. What you are seeing is the base award cost for your stay (for a standard room) plus a "per night" charge for an upgraded room (i.e. better view, corner, balcony, larger, etc.)

And note that it isn't unusual for a resort(ish) type hotel to run out of standard room award inventory well before they do the awards for the upgraded room. This is because most Gold/Plats know they have a good chance at a free upgrade during check-in. So why pay for the upgrade with extra cash or points?

If this is the case, that means you can either pay the extra "upgrade" fee or look for different award dates.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Does Marriott do a sale on MR points purchase?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
If a friend uses his/her 7-night certificate to book a stay for me, but isn't staying there with me, will I enjoy the status benefits based on my friend's account status? or my own status? Or no status benefits?

I've heard using your 7-night cert (from nights and flights) to book a room for someone else is allowed, but someone please correct me if that isn't the case.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it is allowed, but technically the person who ordered the award will need to call Marriott to get it attached to your reservation (i.e. the non-elite person).

As for whether or not you will get their elite status benefits, technically you shouldn't. But if the reservation is made in there name and your name is added to the reservation, you may well get the elite benefits. But beware of going down that path, it is possible a particular hotel might not let your friend check in until the elite person shows up which could be very inconvenient. I don't think this happens very often in the US, but in other parts of the world where they ask for your passport when you check-in, this might be more of a problem.

So the safest route would be to have the elite person who ordered the TP award call Marriott and make the reservation specifically for the non-elite person. It is much more likely that no elite status recognition will occur this way, but they won't have to worry that the hotel might not let them check-in either.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Yes, it is allowed, but technically the person who ordered the award will need to call Marriott to get it attached to your reservation (i.e. the non-elite person).

As for whether or not you will get their elite status benefits, technically you shouldn't. But if the reservation is made in there name and your name is added to the reservation, you may well get the elite benefits. But beware of going down that path, it is possible a particular hotel might not let your friend check in until the elite person shows up which could be very inconvenient. I don't think this happens very often in the US, but in other parts of the world where they ask for your passport when you check-in, this might be more of a problem.

So the safest route would be to have the elite person who ordered the TP award call Marriott and make the reservation specifically for the non-elite person. It is much more likely that no elite status recognition will occur this way, but they won't have to worry that the hotel might not let them check-in either.
Thanks. But if I am elite, and the person booking the reservation makes the reservation specifically for me, then will I get my elite benefits? My status is actually higher than the person redeeming the certificate for me.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Sep 29, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Then I'd suggest your friend make the reservation in your name and ask a Marriott Customer Service agent to attach the cert to the reservation. You should be able to go in an add your MR# to the reservation, but even if you don't, just show them your MR elite card and the check-in agent can add it then.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Can I earn Gold or Platinum status solelythrough award night stays ?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I don't know of any stated requirement that X% of nights be paid/cash versus any other type of acquired nights. So I guess it should be possible if you have enough points to stay the required # of nights. And between potential roll-over nights and/or CC nights, maybe you don't need that many nights after all.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
So I could have sworn that gold status required 25 nights, but I just checked and it's 50. Did they change the requirement recently and I missed it?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
So I could have sworn that gold status required 25 nights, but I just checked and it's 50. Did they change the requirement recently and I missed it?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.