Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
I noticed that the Marriott forum has quite a few "stickie" threads and that the number has been slowly growing over the years. Also, it seems most of the other hotel/airline forums have a "master" FAQ thread at the top of their forums.

So I thought it might be a good idea if we tried to put together a Marriott Master FAQ thread. I have started one below with some general topics (I admit that I looked at the Hilton and the Starwood FAQs to get some ideas.)

My thoughts are that people could chime in with suggestions on additions, topic areas, etc. Whatever anyone thinks would be helpful.

So don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts (even if you think I'm totally doing it wrong.)

Marriott and Starwood Merger Threads

Important Marriott Forum Member's Threads

Popular Hotel and City Master Threads

Marriott Elite levels, benefits, status
Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Can my spouse and I both get lounge guests?
2014 Status Buyback is back!
Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status
Platinum Premier level, 2016-present
Does Marriott match other programs' elite status?
"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Questions involving rollover nights
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Platinum worth it?
Questions about "The Ultimate Guarantee"
Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier
Official Upgrade Policy
Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation
Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016
Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?
Is Free Internet Available for Multiple Rooms?
Platinum redeeming points for someone else - upgrades?
Simultaneous Stays - Multiple Elite Nights?
Multiple Rooms Rules for Elites
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Ritz Carlton Rewards Marriott Rewards Points Marriott Rewards Promotions/Bonus Opportunities Marriott/Ritz Carlton Credit Cards Marriott Program Comparisons with other Hotel Programs General Marriott Threads for FlyerTalk members
Print Wikipost

Marriott FAQ Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
how does e-upgrade cert work?

I'm looking at using points for the Residence Inn Downtown Sacramento. They offer a Studio for 15k, and a 1 bedroom suite for 20k.

The 1 bedroom reservation notes:
"eCertificate plus 1 upgrade certificate required per night"

How does this work? Is this in addition to the 20k points? I've never used an upgrade certificate before.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The 20k/night is 15k for a base room + 5k for an upgrade cert. So it already includes the cost of the upgrade cert. If the RI had any 2-bedroom suites available for points, it would probably be 25k/night as it would require 2 upgrade certs per night.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
The 20k/night is 15k for a base room + 5k for an upgrade cert. So it already includes the cost of the upgrade cert. If the RI had any 2-bedroom suites available for points, it would probably be 25k/night as it would require 2 upgrade certs per night.
Thanks for explaining this confusing nomenclature. What is the point of calling it an upgrade certificate? It's just 5,000 points for a better room - like you pay more $ for higher room categories. Why introduce the complexity of upgrade certificates? Can one obtain them any other way than by spending more points?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

The upgrade "cert" is considered a single level upgrade. At a resort, one upgrade cert per night might get you a mountain view instead of a base garden view. Two upgrade certs per night might get you an ocean view, three ocean front, etc.

Yes, the hotel might also allow you to reserve the upgrade with cash instead. Quite often I see $50 as equivalent to a single cert. An easy way to see this is to look at award rooms at a beach resort. Thy usually have lots of room types and will offer some of them with points.

Does a hotel have to offer higher than base rooms using points? No they don't, but resorts which have lots of different room types typically do. Suite properties like an RI may also offer upgrades from a studio to a one-bedroom with upgrade certs as well.

Note the these upgrade "certs" are only usable in conjunction with an award reservation.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Are room charges (room service, restaurant, etc) points earning if the stay itself is not (due to rate type)? I have some points in my account from a recent stay that should not have credited unless these are points earned from room charges.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
I know this question would (should) have been asked before but I can't figure out how to do it.

I'm trying to book a weekend hotel stay at a property with reward rooms available, and I have a Cat 1-5 cert I would like to use for one night with points used for the second. The only way I can seem to get this to work would be to make two separate reservations. That just seems unnecessary so I'm hoping there's just something I'm missing.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-now-live.html. I think it should help you find what you are looking for.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Originally Posted by robbierob03
I know this question would (should) have been asked before but I can't figure out how to do it.

I'm trying to book a weekend hotel stay at a property with reward rooms available, and I have a Cat 1-5 cert I would like to use for one night with points used for the second. The only way I can seem to get this to work would be to make two separate reservations. That just seems unnecessary so I'm hoping there's just something I'm missing.
To save anyone else the trouble the answer is NO. You can book on two separate reservations and see if you can either call in to get them combined, or ask the hotel if you can just stay in the same room.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:06 pm

i'm not sure if this is the right thread for my questions, so apologies in advance.

i will be traveling to argentina in a few months and would like to make use of my marriott points to book a hotel room, if possible. it doesnt look like marriott has any official properties in that country. is there any way to use my points, despite this? can they be used to book another hotel chain? or am i out of luck?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
-----

Last edited by televisor; Sep 29, 2016 at 4:59 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:30 pm

Breakfast for Marriott Gold at Moxy hotels?

Do Marriott Golds get free breakfast when staying at Moxy hotels?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, no.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:13 pm

There isn't any mention either way in the Elite T&Cs, which I'm hoping is a sign that Marriott doesn't distinguish between cash/award stays:

Do gold benefits, in particular the Breakfast benefit, apply on award stays?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Elite benefits are extended on any stay that they have your MR# associated with, including normal paid, awards, opaque rates like Priceline, etc. It doesn't matter. If you are Gold elite and staying at a hotel where your elite status gets you lounge access, you get it. Breakfast? you get it. A room upgrade? You get it. And so on.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:28 pm

Thanks!

Marriott FTW, clearly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.