Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2002, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I am off to Houston tomorrow for a wedding and will most likely stay at one of these two properties. The best rates available are $99 for the J.W. and $75 for the West Loop. Any thoughts on the better hotel for the money?

Also, what about the Fairfiled in the same area for $59? It is currently out of the running, but I am open to comments on it too.

MTP
Old May 3, 2002, 5:57 pm

Definitely go with the J.W. Stayed at both properties this year, actually at the J.W. last week, and it is far superior to the Westloop property.

Westloop still has the old foam mattresses while the J.W. has thick comfy ones. Turndown service also at J.W. complete with chocolates on the bed and spring water. Ask for a corner room. Entry hallway leading to room keeps all of the hall noise further away. Telephone in the bathroom and 2nd television. Hands down: J.W. on Westheimer.

Especially for $24 difference, J.W. is the way to go...

Hope you enjoy!

AtlMan
Old May 3, 2002, 9:35 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
JW is the way to go. Never stayed at the Fairfield Inn or any for that matter. How are they anyway?
Old May 3, 2002, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like the J.W. is the way to go. I will post the results of my stay next week.

Old May 14, 2002, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I am heading here on the 23rd. Please post your review. Or anyone else who has stayed here recently!

Thanks...
Old May 15, 2002, 7:40 am
Original Poster

I would rate it as comfortable, but not outstanding. It had the feel of an older hotel, and slightly run down. Some of the furniture and bathroom fixtures were in need of updating.

Use your Entertainment Passbook Card if you have one. I was able to get a rate of $75. I would stay there again for that rate, but not much more.

MTP
Old May 16, 2002, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
I was just wondering how to book such good rates at $99 for the J.W. and $75 for the West Loop. Are these rates available on Marriott's online reservation? I've often paid twice as much at the J.W. I have a trip coming up to Houston. I'd like to know how to find these good rates. Thanks.
Old May 17, 2002, 9:20 am

I have stayed at the JW a few times and recimmend it. You can get free parking,walk across to the mall and walk a block down to a few very nice restaurants. You may want to "play" with priceline on this. Go to Bidding for Miles web and see it's history. There is a way to almost guarantee that you get theat hotel or none at all. You'd then be free for the higher price. I have stayed there for $29/night and got upgraded. No points/stays,but at that price who cares?
By the way,the Fairfield is a dump.

[This message has been edited by jabez (edited 05-17-2002).]
Old May 17, 2002, 11:10 am
Original Poster

I was able to book a $75 rate at the J.W. Marriott using the Entertainment Passbook rate. They did ask to see my Entertainment card at check in. That rate is probably available most weekend nights.

MTP
Old May 21, 2002, 12:27 pm

I thought the JW was one of the ugliest hotels in the whole chain. I guess that passes for Texas chic, but it looked like it was done in 70's modern and then left alone since then. The location is terrific and the concierge lounge is very nice, so I keep coming back.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 6:01 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
In Houston - JW Marriott or Renaissance

Which is better in Houston for a leisure stay? JW Marriott or Renaissance Houston. I will be there on a Fri and Sat. I have ruled out the Marriott West Loop as I did not like it much on an earlier stay. I have stayed at the JW previously, but never at the Renaissance, so can't compare. I had a good experience at the JW, so wouldn't mind staying there again and the location is good as well. So I guess I am looking for input on the Renaissance.

[This message has been edited by zakami (edited 08-19-2002).]
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:14 pm

zakami,

I cannot comment just yet, but will be checking into the Renaissance on Sunday for a 1nt stay. Will post something upon my return. Have also stayed @ the JW (3x) and the West Loop (1x), and I share your sentiments about both properties. Just chose the Renaissance to try something new on this visit to H-town. Let's hope I made a good choice. More next week...

AtlMan
Old Aug 20, 2002, 3:01 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
Only problem with the Renaissance is that it's relatively in the middle of nowhere. At least the JW, old as it is, is within walking distance of the Galleria and other shops nearby.

The Renaissance is at Greenway Plaza, which is much more of a business-type area. Not much to do within walking distance, unless you're planning on taking in a Rockets game--the Compaq Center is right next door.

[This message has been edited by SuperSlug (edited 08-20-2002).]
Old Aug 20, 2002, 6:14 pm

the JW looks to me like it was last updated during the Nixon administration. 70's Texas Chic. But the location is so good, I keep coing back
Old Aug 20, 2002, 8:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
I agree with the comments on the location of the Renaissance. We stayed there a couple of years ago because we were seeing BJ Thomas in concert at Compaq CTR. We liked the hotel very much and it is so convenient to Compaq Ctr (about a minute walk out the front door).

We will be back in October for the Paul McCartney concert and look forward to staying at the hotel again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.