Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Thanks for the excellent report!

Hope more properties will allow the up certs to be used toward BAR.
Originally Posted by GNVGator
I just got back. I was charged $169 a night with $100 credit. The credit does not go towards room stay instead it's more for incidentals. Since we were staying in the Club Level there wasn't much to spend it on so I had a town car pick us up and take us to dinner and charged it to the room. $104 to go from RC to a restaurant in Gtown.

RC Pentagon City was ok as far as RCs go. It's a tier one property so it's not as nice as other RC properties. The Club was smallish compared to the only other one I have been to (RC Orlando) and the Concierge/lounge agents weren't as helpful/attentive. They did a fine job grabbing drinks etc. but were not great concierges. The food and booze spread was great thoguh. Note the hotel is not in DC as you either have to metro or cab it to get into town. Cabs are pretty expensive in DC but the hotel is literally 20 paces from the metro stop. The other thing that struck me was that they had combined shower/bath which I had never seen in an RC. Though for the price $169 a night on club level is hard to beat. But I wouldn't pay more than $200 to stay there. At that point I would find an RC in town.

Go Gators

Edit: Ahh I'm understanding your question now. Yes if you are just doing a matress run to get the 30k points this would be a great hotel for that. I hear the Ritz in cleveland and Berlin are pretty cheap too...
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:37 pm

RCC VISA $200 fee reimbursement suggestions

I don't want to hijack this thread, but my wife and I were just approved for RC Visas which just came in the mail. Wow; they look like birthday presents! In any case, coincidentally, we have a vacation trip booked straddling 2012/2013 (leaving 12/25 returning 1/1/13) and I wanted to ask everyone's advice on the most efficient way to use $200 airline credit (we can end up with equivalent of $800 for the two of us). I understand we can apply baggage fees (we are flying Virgin America; they charge $25 per checked bag). We can also have a few drinks during the flight. In addition, I may try to get a better seat (my understanding is that upgrades are covered?). What else can we do? Does shopping the inflight catalog count? What about Duty Free since this is international? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:53 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved this post to the Marriott forum because it is not specifically related to the card offer discussed in MilesBuzz! The Marriott forum moderators may elect to merge your post into this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...edit-card.html
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rjdoc1974
I don't want to hijack this thread, but my wife and I were just approved for RC Visas which just came in the mail. Wow; they look like birthday presents! In any case, coincidentally, we have a vacation trip booked straddling 2012/2013 (leaving 12/25 returning 1/1/13) and I wanted to ask everyone's advice on the most efficient way to use $200 airline credit (we can end up with equivalent of $800 for the two of us). I understand we can apply baggage fees (we are flying Virgin America; they charge $25 per checked bag). We can also have a few drinks during the flight. In addition, I may try to get a better seat (my understanding is that upgrades are covered?). What else can we do? Does shopping the inflight catalog count? What about Duty Free since this is international? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Check post #248 from Kaitlin about the revised T&C. See what your T&C says about what is covered in the $200 credit. In general though upgrades usually are not covered. It just so happens that US airways books it as a change ticket fee which is covered (as if i canceled the ticket and paid a fee to have it reissued). Might be worth giving them a call also to see what they say is covered.

Go Gators
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I called and asked about what was covered for the airline incidentals. First the rep said anything I pay for on the plane. The I said it does specifically say baggage fees and under terms and conditions in the booklet we got it says - This offer applies only to non ticket purchases made with merchants that classify their merchant location for Visa in the airline category. The rep then put me on old and when she came back she said it would cover baggage fees and upgrade fees but not change fees. I may have a change fee next week so I will see if that gets reimbursed.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by holocker
I called and asked about what was covered for the airline incidentals. First the rep said anything I pay for on the plane. The I said it does specifically say baggage fees and under terms and conditions in the booklet we got it says - This offer applies only to non ticket purchases made with merchants that classify their merchant location for Visa in the airline category. The rep then put me on old and when she came back she said it would cover baggage fees and upgrade fees but not change fees. I may have a change fee next week so I will see if that gets reimbursed.
See bolded. Are you sure you didn't get that backwards? If so that would be a change in policy that I would be interested in. Might want to play some agent roulette and let the law of averages decide what their policy is because I'm certain they know either...

Go Gators
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:59 am

Gift Cards?

I'd be interested to hear from people who have actually tried to get reimbursed for airline fees of any type. It seems to me that since you need to call Ritz Carlton Visa to get it reimbursed, all the agent will be able to see is the dollar amount and the classification that the airline used. I doubt there are a lot of different categories, so it may be that in practice they just reimburse anything up to $200 that comes from an airline. Maybe there is a difference in categories between airline tickets and airline fees, but how many different subcategories could there be for airline fees? And, if there are a lot, the various airlines would probably not use them consistently, so it would be hard for the Ritz Carlton Visa agent to distinguish.

I am wondering for example, what happens if you purchase a $25 gift card from US Air? How will the Ritz Carlton Visa agent will be able to distinguish that from a $25 baggage fee.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:26 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Some free advice: Don't overthink this and don't get greedy.

The reimbursement process is very simple. If the charge looks like an airline incidental fee, it will be promptly credited. If the charge doesn't, you'll have to explain it.

For example, four separate airline charges of $50 (of any kind) will be no problem. One $200 charge will raise some red flags. In my case, JPM even offered to credit a small household charge because it looked like it could have been incurred inflight. I declined.

Why lie when you don't have to?

Last edited by dayone; Jul 6, 2012 at 5:22 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
if i have chase marriott card before and closed. can i apply this card and get the bonus? do i need to move my membership from marriott to ritz carlton?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Innerloop
I'm curious if anyone has yet used the Concierge service on this card yet? Especially if that person has also used the Amex plat or cent. Concierge before for comparison.
Just made the same 2 restaurant reservation requests via Amex plat and JPM concierges. Both reservations are for 30+ days out. One restaurant (Torrisi Italian Specialties) opens up availability tomorrow for their chef's tasting menu and the other (per se) on Wednesday. I'll post back once I get word.

Being that I have used the amex concierge before, I liked being able to email my requests. First time using JPM, I had to call and the person I spoke to was OK at best. Sounded like english was her second language. And it was slightly annoying to have to repeat the spelling of my last name upon calling and then again when giving my email address.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by downright
Just made the same 2 restaurant reservation requests via Amex plat and JPM concierges. Both reservations are for 30+ days out. One restaurant (Torrisi Italian Specialties) opens up availability tomorrow for their chef's tasting menu and the other (per se) on Wednesday. I'll post back once I get word.

Being that I have used the amex concierge before, I liked being able to email my requests. First time using JPM, I had to call and the person I spoke to was OK at best. Sounded like english was her second language. And it was slightly annoying to have to repeat the spelling of my last name upon calling and then again when giving my email address.
Just received an email from AMEX....they got a spot at Torrisi at their earlier seating. I emailed back to see if the later seating was available.

So right now...AMEX is leading. We'll see how this turns out.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by downright
Just received an email from AMEX....they got a spot at Torrisi at their earlier seating. I emailed back to see if the later seating was available.

So right now...AMEX is leading. We'll see how this turns out.
AMEX emailed back pretty much right away that they switched us to the late seating. I called JPM to cancel that one request. We'll see who snags us the Per Se reservation tomorrow.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Gold; Hyatt: Diamond
To get to platinum do you have to stay 75 nights or just an additional 25?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by 4bangn
To get to platinum do you have to stay 75 nights or just an additional 25?
75 nights for Platinum. The Gold Status does not include credit for stays, only the level of status.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by BlakeTraveler
75 nights for Platinum. The Gold Status does not include credit for stays, only the level of status.
Getting this card has had the odd effect of making me stay LESS in Ritz and Marriott properties...

Marriott Platinum is hard to achieve. With this card and spend, I'll be Gold next year. Good enough.

So I just did a Diamond challenge with Hilton (21 nights / 90 days) and now have Diamond too...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.