Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toiletries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Toiletries

Am I the only one wishes Marriott would change their toiletries?

I find the orange line at most Marriott properties boring, tired and sub-par. Same for the mint themed toiletries at their Renaissance properties.

I stayed at a Gaylor and Hilton this week and what a difference. The soaps lather better and smell great. Body wash and shampoo are great also and make taking a shower a bit more enjoyable.

Any time I stay at a Marriott property for more than a couple of days I make a trek to the local store to buy a bar of soap and shampoo so I don't have to use the orange thingies.

I've been complaining (to myself) for the last two years and I figured I would come here and vent. Thanks for listening.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BillyIdol
Am I the only one wishes Marriott would change their toiletries?

I find the orange line at most Marriott properties boring, tired and sub-par. Same for the mint themed toiletries at their Renaissance properties.

I stayed at a Gaylor and Hilton this week and what a difference. The soaps lather better and smell great. Body wash and shampoo are great also and make taking a shower a bit more enjoyable.

Any time I stay at a Marriott property for more than a couple of days I make a trek to the local store to buy a bar of soap and shampoo so I don't have to use the orange thingies.

I've been complaining (to myself) for the last two years and I figured I would come here and vent. Thanks for listening.
Agree with Marriott, disagree with the Renaissance Aveda product which I find superior to most other chains.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

I just don't like the mint smell on the toiletries, that's why I don't like the Renaissance stuff.

I stayed somewhere where they had the June Jacobs line, BIG bottles of shampoo, body wash, etc. Great soap. If I could only get that at Marriott.

The stuff I got tonight at the Hilton is not too shabby either and the stuff from the Gaylord was superb as well. Hyatt has nice stuff, heck I've stayed at some Best Westerns that put Marriott to shame.

I wish enough people voiced their displeasure (if they are indeed unhappy) and maybe we get something better / different.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by keloutwest
Agree with Marriott, disagree with the Renaissance Aveda product which I find superior to most other chains.
I think the Aveda soap and shampoo are great too (I use Aveda products at home). I see them as a very nice plus when staying at Renaissance properties.

Alas, my s.o. is allergic to mint and thus isn't so impressed, but likes the Bath and Body Works Orange Ginger shampoo and uses that at home.

So I guess for us it's a wash...
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Agree with the Marriott stuff being subpar. The Ren products are better. All things being equal, I'll stay in a Ren over a nearby Marriott in part because of the products.

I collect what I don't use, bring it home and put it in a giant glass vase. When the amount gets significant, I donate it to a charitable organization. In the past, I've given the stuff to a homeless shelter, the Ronald McDonald House, a battered women's shelter and a group that was making care packages for soldiers stationed overseas. The homeless shelter is only open from October through March. The last couple years, they've emailed me in September asking for the soaps, shampoos, etc. It's a family shelter that's located in a house of worship.

When I worked in an office, I had a box at my desk where coworkers would drop off their haul. The stuff would add up pretty quickly.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I like the Aveda rosemary mint that the Ren uses!

I'm ok w/ what the Marriott uses for shampoo/conditioner, although find the orange lotion to be a bit strong smelling.

Hilton used to use Crabtree & Evelyn's LaSource*, which is fab (and which I subsequently bought online from C&E; you have to look for the LaSource Hilton one). * They still may; haven't stayed at a Hilton in a while.

If you get upgraded at Grosvenor House in London, you get Penhaligon's* Quercus line, which I like quite a bit. *Think Penhaligon's has a royal warrant.

I've done the donate to women's shelter thing too, and am actually getting ready to do so soon. I keep the Aveda, Blvgari, Penhaligon's, LaSource, but the other stuff I donate. Also, when missydarlin used to organize the SeaDos & at the first London MegaDo, FTers were asked to bring some of the extra toiletries. They got assembled & distributed to the local shelters.

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Hilton's switching over to Philip Thomas Roth toiletries now (no more LaSource), though Hilton Garden Inn is still using Neutrogena. I love the Aveda but find the Bath & Body Works stuff so drying that I always bring my own when staying at a regular Marriott...
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
Hilton's switching over to Philip Thomas Roth toiletries now (no more LaSource), though Hilton Garden Inn is still using Neutrogena. I love the Aveda but find the Bath & Body Works stuff so drying that I always bring my own when staying at a regular Marriott...
Ah, good to know re: Hilton. I've got a 16-day European trip coming up. 11 of the nights are at Marriott, but 5 are at Hilton using the last of my Hilton points. BTW - I just checked the C&E site, and the Hilton LaSource is still available, but it's now called LaSource Original Formula. When I use that stuff, it just reminds me of being by the ocean (in a good way).

I think the Aveda is better for hair & the lotion than the B&BW stuff. I usually use the B&BW or have to date, but I just bought some travel-sized Aveda hair/lotion stuff, and bought full size for home - will refill/take w/ me on the road.

I try to use bath gel more than soap whichever brand, figuring it's less drying (whenever they provide bath gel).

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

+1. Love that stuff!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of my trips are short....I bring my own stuff.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:19 pm

RI toiletries the worst

I don't mind the Marriott toiletries but maybe it's because I've been staying at the Residence Inn for the last 3 months and they use the cheapest stuff. I'm pretty sure it's watered down hand soap passed off as shampoo.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*

If you get upgraded at Grosvenor House in London, you get Penhaligon's* Quercus line, which I like quite a bit. *Think Penhaligon's has a royal warrant.
You have to get upgraded from a standard room in order to get the Quercus toiletries? I did get upgraded to a better room (no suite) during my stay in November 2009 as a platinum member. I thought those toiletries were standard with all rooms at the hotel.

I remember County Hall Marriott in London also had some nice toiletries, although the name escapes me right now.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
For a moment, I thought this thread was about something like "is it ok to stack up on toiletries"... hehe
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Maybe I'm in the minority but I like the Marriott volumizing Bath & Body shampoo & conditioner. I can use more volume. And the lotion is OK.

I hate the new Hilton Roth shampoo & conditioner; it makes my hair feel like it's not clean.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by VA1379
You have to get upgraded from a standard room in order to get the Quercus toiletries? I did get upgraded to a better room (no suite) during my stay in November 2009 as a platinum member. I thought those toiletries were standard with all rooms at the hotel.
* I'm usually upgraded so I've always gotten the Quercus. But for some reason I either saw a reg room (non exec level or not superior or suite) & remember thinking oh, they don't get the Quercus. So thought it was a differentiator on the room types.

But it's vague in my mind, so I could be wrong & I'm confusing properties.

* In honor of this thread, I dug out the Aveda hotel size stuff from my stash in the closet & used it today.

Originally Posted by living near shamu
For a moment, I thought this thread was about something like "is it ok to stack up on toiletries"... hehe
* That was my original thought too until I read it

Originally Posted by cmh flyer
I hate the new Hilton Roth shampoo & conditioner; it makes my hair feel like it's not clean.
* Thanks for the heads up. Might have to bring my own stuff for the part of my European stay when I'm staying at Hilton vs Marriott.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.