Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen Marriott or Malmo Renaissance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

We are leaving on a cruise from CPH and spending 1 night before we leave. Several months ago I reserved the Copenhagen Marriott Executive Level using points for 45,000 points. I recently recieved Gold Level so now I am questioning if I would be better off booking a regular room. Award rooms are no longer showing as available at the Copenhagen Marriott, but I can get a room at the Renaissance in Malmo -- 30 min train ride to Copenhagen. The twist is that the Renaissance is a Category 4 hotel so I can use one of my MegaBonus rewards instead of using points.

My husband wants to go to Malmo anyway... so he can cross the bridge.. so that would not be an extra expense.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Wow, the Ren Malmö is only a Cat-4?! FWIW I stayed there twice in May and loved it. Newly renovated, and nice plat upgrades.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Tivoli Gardens should be seen both during the day & night. Little Mermaid and park is a daytime trip. Hans Christian Anderson area also daytime. So, if you're in Malmo you'll be missing a treat cause nothing as nice/interesting in Malmo, but your choice..................

Originally Posted by smdawheel
We are leaving on a cruise from CPH and spending 1 night before we leave. Several months ago I reserved the Copenhagen Marriott Executive Level using points for 45,000 points. I recently recieved Gold Level so now I am questioning if I would be better off booking a regular room. Award rooms are no longer showing as available at the Copenhagen Marriott, but I can get a room at the Renaissance in Malmo -- 30 min train ride to Copenhagen. The twist is that the Renaissance is a Category 4 hotel so I can use one of my MegaBonus rewards instead of using points.

My husband wants to go to Malmo anyway... so he can cross the bridge.. so that would not be an extra expense.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I like the Malmo property ...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Very frequent train service . . .

So you could have the best if both. Double check but iirc trains run every 30 minutes or less on this route.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I like both properties, but when I did Malmo I was returning to CPH on a Sunday, there was engineering work on the train, and the replacement bus to Malmo South was a disaster, though I'm sure usually it's no problem.

Personally, I'd stay in Copenhagen and do Malmo as a day trip. Copenhagen has a very nice Concierge lounge.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have a similar inquiry, my wife and I are heading to CPH for long weekend in July and I'm not sure which property would be better. I will be using points for either property and if the CPH Marriott is that much better than the Malmo Ren, I don't mind the 40K more miles. Not sure which hotel is nicer, lounge access (will be there Friday-Monday), and location fit into the equation.

We've never been to Copenhagen and haven't figured out what we are doing yet, so I'm not sure which property would be better for us. Suggestions welcome. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat, Marriott - Platinum, Starwood - Gold
Copenhagen vs Malmo. Hotels?!

Hey everyone. I'm in the final stages of my European vacation and I've decided to add Copenhagen to my itinerary. I'll be in the area for two nights 5/28-29 and just wanted to get opinions from someone who has been there.

I see the cph Marriott is a cat six hotel and the Malmo renaissance is a cat 4 hotel. Downside? A $20 trip on the train one way. But what about ease and accessibility to get into city center. Is it worth the 20k points to stay in Copenhagen proper? Or save the points and enjoy Malmo as well.

Thanks guys!!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:27 am
iwc

Originally Posted by CueballJR
Hey everyone. I'm in the final stages of my European vacation and I've decided to add Copenhagen to my itinerary. I'll be in the area for two nights 5/28-29 and just wanted to get opinions from someone who has been there.

I see the cph Marriott is a cat six hotel and the Malmo renaissance is a cat 4 hotel. Downside? A $20 trip on the train one way. But what about ease and accessibility to get into city center. Is it worth the 20k points to stay in Copenhagen proper? Or save the points and enjoy Malmo as well.

Thanks guys!!
Just had a recent stay in Malmo and throughly enjoyed it.

Was worth the $30 RT for the train from the airport.

Hotel is boutique in nature, trendy rooms with Platinums receiving coupons for drink and snack as well as breakfast buffet. Malmo is a nice town.

If it were me, I would save the points.

But that is me.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Planning a trip to Copenhagen and Malmo. I am planning to use a couple of Cat 4 certificates to stay at the Renaissance Malmo. It seems like a brand new hotel.

How is the train ride to/from Copenhagen?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:09 am
iwc

How is the train ride to/from Copenhagen?

Not bad at all. Quick, clean, frequent. What more can you ask for.

Last edited by iwc; Apr 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:28 am

I've never stayed at any of the hotels, but I'm a Dane so I'm pretty familiar with both Copenhagen and Malmö.

The train stops in the middle of downtown CPH. So if you don't mind taking the train back and forth, I can only recommend that. Funny enough many Danes are moving to Malmö because everything is cheaper in Sweden. You'll probably notice that too.

Remember to visit Tivoli and take a stroll down Strøget.
Old May 1, 2011, 6:40 pm

Is the Renaissance Malmo easy to get to by train from the CPH airport? The hotel website states it is only a 5 minute walk to the Malmo Central Train Station.
Old May 1, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3MM Lifetime), Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Catching the train to Malmo from CPH is very easy, as the tracks are located down an escalator/elevator in the arrivals building. There is also a train ticket station on the arrivals level as well. Malmo Central will be the third stop on the train, and that is the stop closest to the Renaissance.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:14 am

Was thinking about staying at the Malmo Renaissance, but decided to book the Copenhagen Marriott. It seems like it is more centrally located. Anyone know if they have a decent CL? Their website says it is a short walk from the train station. Hopefully the hotel is easy to get to by train from the CPH airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.