Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2005, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold

Rumor has it that Marriott will be taking over the Anantara Resort on Koh Samui on July 4th. It looks like a nice addition to the Thai Marriott collection. Its owned by the same group that owns the Bangkok and Phuket Marriotts and the Thailand Four Seasons properties. Another nice Marriott option in Thailand.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:17 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dloren1
Rumor has it that Marriott will be taking over the Anantara Resort on Koh Samui on July 4th. It looks like a nice addition to the Thai Marriott collection. Its owned by the same group that owns the Bangkok and Phuket Marriotts and the Thailand Four Seasons properties. Another nice Marriott option in Thailand.
do you know of any plans for Marriott to acquire/build a property by the Convention Center?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:44 am

your source was almost right....the new property in Koh Samui is the Buriraya (to be renovated and re-branded as a Renaissance)

<http://www.buriraya.com/main.html>
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Found this in the net (www.ttgtravelhub.net):

"Marriott breaks new grounds in Thailand
Grace Chia, Washington D.C. ( 2005-07-07 )

MARRIOTT International is to introduce its Renaissance and Courtyard brands to Thailand, starting with the conversion of the existing 78-unit Buriraya Resort & Spa in Koh Samui to the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa by the end of this year, and the opening of the new 316-room Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok in 2007.

The Koh Samui resort with 45 guest rooms and 33 villas will first undergo renovations before being rebranded. The resort features spa and fitness facilities, two swimming pools, restaurants and other recreational amenities, including a 96m2 conference room.

The Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok will be located on Soi Mahadlekluang, near retail shops, the business district and embassies and Bangkok’s light rail system. The hotel will have a restaurant, lobby lounge, bar, swimming pool, business and fitness centre, and 390m2 of meetings’ facilities.

Meanwhile, Marriott International has appointed Ms Belinda Pote the senior vice president international marketing. Previously, she was the Hong Kong-based regional vice president of brand marketing for the Asia-Pacific region. In her new post, Ms Pote will report to Mr Ed Fuller, president and managing director for International Lodging."
--------------

So there will be a Courtyard in Bangkok too!! Great.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 4:55 am

According to the Buriraya's website -- it will be a Renaissance on 9/1/05. Does that mean the renovations will be done by then?

I called Marriott and they had no idea about any renovations to the property...

Last edited by haveric; Jul 15, 2005 at 5:14 am Reason: I called Marriott
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:30 am

I heard from some Marriott people here in Bangkok that the renovations might not finish until towards the end of the year 2005 (with re-branding then)
Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Trajan
I heard from some Marriott people here in Bangkok that the renovations might not finish until towards the end of the year 2005 (with re-branding then)

Hmmmm. Thanks. Wonder if I should book elsewhere for late September 05?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by haveric
Hmmmm. Thanks. Wonder if I should book elsewhere for late September 05?
well I heard that the existing resort is already very very nice, but Renaissance just requires some sprucing here and there....
Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:10 pm

I would love to go in 2006 and am intent to hear reports about what comes at year end.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The site is sort of up:

www.marriott.com/usmbr

There are no pictures nor is one able to book it just yet. I'm heading to Thailand in November & will be in Surat Thani for about 4 days & was thinking about doing a trip up to Samui for 3-4 days and staying at this hotel. However, I may just go to Koh Phangan & stay at Field Paradise Village where you can get a bare bones tree house for about $6 US per night (and no hot water in the showers - but it is a tree house!).

If anyone does go to this hotel between now & November, please, please, post a trip report. I'm very interested. It's in Lamai which is a nicer part of the island. I'm thinking I may make reservations and just hold them & cancel later if need be.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:56 am

Thanks for the link! It is bookable yet!! I checked for January 2006, but rates start at 350 US$/night :-(

(You have to go via "hotel specials and packages" and tick one of the special rates... voila!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
The site is sort of up:

www.marriott.com/usmbr

There are no pictures nor is one able to book it just yet. I'm heading to Thailand in November & will be in Surat Thani for about 4 days & was thinking about doing a trip up to Samui for 3-4 days and staying at this hotel. However, I may just go to Koh Phangan & stay at Field Paradise Village where you can get a bare bones tree house for about $6 US per night (and no hot water in the showers - but it is a tree house!).

If anyone does go to this hotel between now & November, please, please, post a trip report. I'm very interested. It's in Lamai which is a nicer part of the island. I'm thinking I may make reservations and just hold them & cancel later if need be.

I have booked it for the last week of September. If I somehow forget, feel free to drop me a PM in October and I can post a full report.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haveric
I have booked it for the last week of September. If I somehow forget, feel free to drop me a PM in October and I can post a full report.
Thanks - will do! I'm not 100% sure I'm going there anymore. I just book a biz award ticket on UA (well actually on ANA & Thai, using UA miles) to Phnom Penh & returning from Surat Thani, so if I have time from Surat Thani, I may take the ferry to Samui (may have to go via Koh Phangnan though). Still, I've been to USM twice in the past 2 years & have stayed in mediocre resorts in Chaewang (sp?) Beach area or have gone to Koh Phangnan. I'm sure this'll be a nice hotel though. Now if only there were Marriott's in Cambodia!
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:32 am

I did one too, for 2 nights in January. It appears as in the "look up reservations" page in marriott.com, but I didn't get any e-mail confirmation yet. But well, will see..
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Chris26WI
Thanks for the link! It is bookable yet!! I checked for January 2006, but rates start at 350 US$/night :-(

(You have to go via "hotel specials and packages" and tick one of the special rates... voila!
$350 is too much .... so thank you for the rate info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.