Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
12/6/21 - e-mail address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold

PR release as as follows:

CUSCO, PERU Marriott International plans to open a luxury JW Marriott Hotel in Cusco next year. Situated at the gateway to Machu Picchu, the 153-key JW Marriott Hotel Cusco will feature a highly customized design built around a colonial church and ancient Inca artifacts found on the site.

JW Marriott Hotel Cusco will be operated under a management agreement with Inversiones La Rioja SA, owners of JW Marriott Hotel Lima.

“We are very proud of this project, which will honor the history and the culture of the Inca people and the heritage of our country and of Cusco,” says Inversiones Chairman Alfonso Brazzini. “This project will surely be one of the most unique in the world, utilizing the latest engineering and technology to preserve the past and create a hotel environment for today.”

Located in the heart of Cusco’s historical district, the hotel will include a museum of prominent artifacts, many of which will be preserved in-situ.

“We are very excited to announce the JW Marriott Cusco, a much needed luxury hotel in one of the world’s great leisure destinations,” says Laurent de Kousemaeker, chief development officer for Marriott in the Caribbean and Latin America. “The hotel will reflect its incomparable surroundings in a very special way.”

JW Marriott Cusco will feature elaxed décor with a distinctly colonial feel. At an elevation of 11,200 ft. above sea level, the JW Cusco will be the first Marriott property to have an in-room supplemental oxygen system to relieve altitude sickness.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
I wouldn't really term Cuzco as "aka Machu Picchu". It's just the closest airport.

Glad to hear Marriott will finally have a competing luxury hotel there, though. We've gone every few years and never get tired. I'm conflicted though. We've always stayed at Hotel Monasterio (an Orient Express hotel) and don't know if we could change now. Plus, easily getting seats on the Hiram Bingham train is a big deal, especially when you compare the service level to even the best of the regular Peru Rail options.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
I have to agree with Dillman
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:01 pm

I wager $0.02 that JW will be Cat 8 when it opens but offer Cat4 service if not less...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred and Companion Pass holder, AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I was like WHOA - I'm not sure Aguas Calientes is quite ready for a JW Marriott....
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by graupel22
I was like WHOA - I'm not sure Aguas Calientes is quite ready for a JW Marriott....
The InkaTerra in Aguas Calientes is actually a pretty darn nice hotel and probably on par with a very unique JW. The main difference would be that a JW is much less likely to take advantage of its guests and their wallets like the InkaTerra loves to do.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
I'm thrilled...

Originally Posted by DillMan
I wouldn't really term Cuzco as "aka Machu Picchu". It's just the closest airport.

Glad to hear Marriott will finally have a competing luxury hotel there, though. We've gone every few years and never get tired. I'm conflicted though. We've always stayed at Hotel Monasterio (an Orient Express hotel) and don't know if we could change now. Plus, easily getting seats on the Hiram Bingham train is a big deal, especially when you compare the service level to even the best of the regular Peru Rail options.

I for one am thrilled with the notion of having a Marriott here!

We tried to make this trip work this March but ended up going to Carnival in Rio de Janeiro (not a mistake...and unbelievable experience x 10!) and then taking a cruise ship out of Rio. The JW Marriott in Rio was really nice, but MP is still hovering in that bucket list so to see a Marriott property coming to this region is very exciting for me!

We've been torn because hubby doesn't want to do one night there, one night over here, one night there, which is pretty much what people do when they visit MP. No one seems to stay a week ANYWHERE and I do understand it, but we've never been into hotel hopping. Staying for a week in one area and getting to another area (bus/plane/train/ferry) and staying for a 2nd week has been a good way for us to travel. We get to see so much more and every single day is not jam packed from the moment we get up until the minute we go to bed. Doesn't work for everyone (way to long for most travelers--or so it seems), but it works for us. And, because we are gone for at least two weeks, we don't travel that light (backpack style).

Having a Marriott here would pretty much allow us to stay a week at Cuzco (home base for MP anyway) and then fly over to Lima for a week at the JW Marriott there. We want to stay ONE night at the Santuary and get up early and do a hike. He agreed to one night hotel hopping just because I really wanted to experience the Santuary.

I don't understand the reference to "Plus, easily get seats on the Hiram Bingham train is a big deal..." We too plan on going on the HB, but are you saying you can't take the HB if you are at the JW?

Sure hope this stays on schedule to open in 2012!

Thanks!

Dawn
Old May 28, 2011, 6:04 pm

I think he means that since the Hotel Monasterio and the H.B. train are owned by the same company, it's easier to get seats on the H.B. (it's not a large train and there aren't many seats. Frankly, the Vistadome is a nice train and a lot cheaper, for what it's worth). If you can swing it, seriously consider the Monasterio -- very unique hotel.

Just a tip: You don't need a week in Lima. It's a great city, with great food and people, but three or four days is plenty. The Marriott there is in a great location -- but also check out the Miraflores Park Hotel (right nearby). It's a big more elegant (and a swanky rooftop -- I actually saw Paul McCartney last time I was up there). Rates can be even cheaper than Marriott if you book ahead (though, just as often they're more than the Marriott). And some of the rooms (I think the junior suites) have great in-room saunas (i'm a bit hazy on this -- I was kind of drunk when I tried it). But you can't go wrong at the Marriott -- it's a nice property, and again, a great location. And it's far more "Americanized" if that's important. There are some nice restaurants nearby, too. But after a few days, unless you really like to eat, you'll probably have had enough. Also: While the Marriott is in Miraflores, a very nice, leafy, upscale neighborhood, the center of Lima isn't quite as lovely (read: hang onto your possessions). Best to go on one of the organized tours they'll hook you up with at the Marriott. Have a blast -- Peru is a fantastic place.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Noticed the JW Marriott in Cusco is now bookable with points (it's cat 6) or cash starting Aug. 1. Looks like a beautiful property, at least from the handful of pictures posted online.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
Having a Marriott here would pretty much allow us to stay a week at Cuzco (home base for MP anyway)
I don't understand. Despite what it says in post 1, Cuzco is not that close to MP. It's just the closest major city.

Staying in Cuzco for a week because you're going to Machu Picho, that's like staying in Phoenix (instead of at least Flagstaff) for a week because you're going to the Grand Canyon, or staying in San Francisco (instead of Oakhurst or at least Fresnco) for a week because you're going to do Yosemite, or staying in Portland, Maine for a week because you're going to Acadia National Park, or staying in Washington DC for a week (instead of at towns along the route) because you're going to Skyline Drive and Blue Rdige Parkway.

In other words, if you are going to day trip to Machu Pichu from Cuzco, you'll only see Machu Pichu for a few hours, yet spend all day traveling, and you'll be done in a day. If you want to spend more time in Machu Pichu, Cuzco is entirely the wrong place to stay (except before you leave for Machu Pichu and/or after you return from it). It makes no sense to me to pick a far-off city, just because it has a Marriott hotel, for a whole week because it's the nearest city from which to do a one-day day trip.

And if (per a pervious post) Lima doesn't need a whole week, even more so it seems to me Cuzco would not a whole week, unless you've figured out tons of other day trips besides Machu Pichu.

I'm not deciding whether you should spend more than one mid-day in Machu Pichu or not, I'm saying that if you want to spend more time in Machu Pichu you need to stay much closer to it, in the Machu Pichu town itself probably, and if you don't need more than one mid-day, then I don't understand why a whole week in Curzo.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm Reason: corrected small typo
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm not sure it makes all that much sense to me either. I stayed for 3 nights in Cusco at a little local b&b when I was there several years back and there is certainly enough in the area to keep you busy (between the Sacred Valley, the local ruins, and the sites in the town itself.) My real goal though, was to get used to the elevation in preparation for the 4 day Inca Trail hike (which is by far the best way to experience MP if you have the time and stamina). Cusco doesn't really get you all that close to MP and the only way to experience MP without the hordes is to hike down at 5AM on the trail, or stay at the $anctuary Lodge right at the ruins.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't understand. Despite what it says in post 1, Cuzco is not that close to MP. It's just the closest major city.

Staying in Cuzco for a week because you're going to Machu Picho, that's like staying in Phoenix (instead of at least Flagstaff) for a week because you're going to the Grand Canyon, or staying in San Francisco (instead of Oakhurst or at least Fresnco) for a week because you're going to do Yosemite, or staying in Portland, Maine for a week because you're going to Acadia National Park, or staying in Washington DC for a week (instead of at towns along the route) because you're going to Skyline Drive and Blue Rdige Parkway.

In other words, if you are going to day trip to Machu Pichu from Cuzco, you'll only see Machu Pichu for a few hours, yet spend all day traveling, and you'll be done in a day. If you want to spend more time in Machu Pichu, Cuzco is entirely the wrong place to stay (except before you leave for Machu Pichu and/or after you return from it). It makes no sense to me to pick a far-off city, just because it has a Marriott hotel, for a whole week because it's the nearest city from which to do a one-day day trip.

And if (per a pervious post) Lima doesn't need a whole, even more so it seems to me Cuzco would not a whole week, unless you've figured out tons of other day trips besides Machu Pichu.

I'm not deciding whether you should spend more than one mid-day in Machu Pichu or not, I'm saying that if you want to spend more time in Machu Pichu you need to stay much closer to it, in the Machu Pichu town itself probably, and if you don't need more than one mid-day, then I don't understand why a whole week in Curzo.
Good to know - thanks.

Cheers.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:15 am

Anyone know how the jw cusco is progressing? I know they are accepting reservation for Aug, but any more info than that? Thanks! BTW, what the best time of year to go to lima/cusco? How would sometime mid-aug to mid sept be?

Last edited by frankhi; Mar 29, 2012 at 8:32 am
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
You should be OK. Hard rain months are Dec., Jan. and Feb.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by frankhi
..they are accepting reservation for Aug..
Now reservations start in Oct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.