Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Tripoli - Opened Feb 15

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

JW Marriott Tripoli - Opened Feb 15

Apparently this hotel just opened last Tuesday. What awful timing. I hope everyone there is okay.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...hotel-tripoli/

http://www.tripolipost.com/articledetail.asp?c=2&i=5415
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Oy!!!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

It's like the Beirut Hilton. The civil war broke out in 1975 the day before the grand opening, according to Wikipedia, and it never opened for business. The ruin was eventually imploded in the 90s and a new one was built nearby, which itself has never opened.

I hope things work out much better in this case, obviously.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Deluxe Sea View King Room, 15,000 points,
lots of availability this weekend....
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Ouch.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
This went out earlier this afternoon

February 23, 2011
Impact of Political Unrest in Libya on Marriott International Operations
As many are, Marriott International is closely monitoring the political unrest in Libya. At this time, the unfolding events are not immediately affecting areas in proximity of the JW Marriott Hotel Tripoli, Marriott International’s one property in Libya. The safety and security of our guests and employees is one of our top priorities and we will continue to watch events, evaluate the situation and respond accordingly.

In light of the ongoing situation, the hotel is not accepting incoming reservations until further notice. Guests may contact Marriott Worldwide Reservations at 1-800-228-9290 or their local Marriott reservations number for further information.

Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

The new Four Points by Sheraton and the new Radisson Blu also posted notices on their sites this afternoon that they're no longer taking reservations.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Impressive building:

Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yikes... I have a feeling that hotel isn't going to last very long, and I don't mean in terms of getting customers.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by James Luckard
Impressive building:

Thanks for the great photo. I was trying to envision what this property looks like. I have to wonder how they expected to fill this high priced rooms --- oil executives, well heeled tourists, friends of government officials??? I noted there were six concierge floors - isn't that a bit excessive? Curious as to whether this property is Marriott owned or Marriott managed - anyone out there know? Would there be U.S. tax advantages/write-offs in a situation like this one?

Last edited by maltasr; Feb 26, 2011 at 2:26 am Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Deluxe Sea View King Room, 15,000 points,
lots of availability this weekend....
It's starting as a Cat 3. Marriott Concierge only posted Annual Hotel Category Changes for Cat 5+, so come March 8th this may be the first JW to be downgraded to a Cat 2.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by maltasr
Thanks for the great photo. I was trying to envision what this property looks like. I have to wonder how they expected to fill this high priced rooms --- oil executives, well heeled tourists, friends of government officials??? I noted there were six concierge floors - isn't that a bit excessive? Curious as to whether this property is Marriott owned or Marriott managed - anyone out there know? Would there be U.S. tax advantages/write-offs in a situation like this one?
I can tell you it's most likely NO MI owned - owning real property isn't in MI's business model, as far the 6 floors of concierge rooms it really depends on what the local demand is and the number of rooms per floor (the building looks fairly compact)
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: AA MM Gold, UA, DL, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maltasr
I have to wonder how they expected to fill this high priced rooms --- oil executives, well heeled tourists, friends of government officials??? I noted there were six concierge floors - isn't that a bit excessive?
Maybe Gadhafi was going to keep all his voluptuous Ukranian nuses there
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Interesting blog post by Bill Marriott about the evacuation of the hotel. Sounds like the building has, sensibly, been abandoned for the time being.

http://www.blogs.marriott.com/marrio...ing-times.html
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:58 am

Shucks - I was saving all my points for this property. I suppose I'll just have to use them at my second choice - JW Tehran.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.