FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ritz Carlton (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton-760/)
-   -   Ritz Carlton on Marriot points - Platinum upgrade possible? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton/1181657-ritz-carlton-marriot-points-platinum-upgrade-possible.html)

RunningGhibellino Feb 8, 2011 3:20 am

Ritz Carlton on Marriot points - Platinum upgrade possible?

I am redeeming some points at the Ritz Carlton in Berlin, are there chances that I will be upgraded to a suite or at least to concierge level, being a Marriott Plat?
In other words, will RC recognize the Marriott Plat status and the associated benefits?

thx

happymommy Feb 8, 2011 3:28 am

Officially, no, you aren't entitled to suite or club level upgrades. Just a room upgrade if available (higher floor, corner room, better view maybe).

If club is important, I'd call now and ask if you can do points or cash upgrade to ensure that level. Seems rare, but some properties have done that upgrade, but it sounds like it's very few and far between.

RunningGhibellino Feb 8, 2011 3:54 am

Thank you :)

ohmark Feb 8, 2011 10:26 am

In my experience, it is very unlikely that you can wheedle or plead or sweet-talk into a Ritz club upgrade. Indeed it sounds like RC front desk personnel have been indoctrinated that Marriott plat upgrades do not include club level. Of course, those with personal relationships with particular RC properties, beyond status, may be successful, but it is unlikely that Marriott status will do the trick.

stevens397 Feb 8, 2011 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by happymommy (Post 15824089)
Officially, no, you aren't entitled to suite or club level upgrades. Just a room upgrade if available (higher floor, corner room, better view maybe).

If club is important, I'd call now and ask if you can do points or cash upgrade to ensure that level. Seems rare, but some properties have done that upgrade, but it sounds like it's very few and far between.

FWIW, I had two Marriott Rewards stays at the Ritz Carlton Central Park - five nights in December and three nights last weekend. Called when the reservations were made and asked if I could pay to get Club access. No problem - $100 per night! Incredible value - between breakfast, liquor, and all the other stuff, it was incredibly worthwhile. In addition, the rooms are lovely but not a lot of sitting area. The club is a great place to relax, read and have a drink.

Don't assume it is not possible - just give a call.

happymommy Feb 9, 2011 3:27 am

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 15829104)
FWIW, I had two Marriott Rewards stays at the Ritz Carlton Central Park - five nights in December and three nights last weekend. Called when the reservations were made and asked if I could pay to get Club access. No problem - $100 per night! Incredible value - between breakfast, liquor, and all the other stuff, it was incredibly worthwhile. In addition, the rooms are lovely but not a lot of sitting area. The club is a great place to relax, read and have a drink.

That is a great deal!

To the OP: I'd definitely call and ask about it prior to the stay.

ohmark Feb 9, 2011 6:04 am

As to whether it's a great deal, it would be interesting to know what the upcharge for club is for a paying guest. (At the RC I'm currently at, a club room is $40 over the rate of some other rooms).

NWstu Feb 9, 2011 6:57 am

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 15829104)

I was looking into a reward stay the RC Kapalua and was told by RC reservations that access could be had for $100 per night. Don't recall if that included a room on the Club level. I think not.

rhentze Feb 10, 2011 9:52 am

Originally Posted by NWstu (Post 15831304)
I was looking into a reward stay the RC Kapalua and was told by RC reservations that access could be had for $100 per night. Don't recall if that included a room on the Club level. I think not.

New to RC. Is the Club upograde still a value if one doesn't drink much?

happymommy Feb 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by rhentze (Post 15839119)
New to RC. Is the Club upograde still a value if one doesn't drink much?

It depends on where you are.

I've also gotten an upgrade to club at Kapalua, 15 years ago, also for $100. It wasn't really worth it, only since we were at a resort, we were out so much. I felt compelled to make use of the lounge.

At some cities where it's expensive to dine out, even for breakfast, and you may be back at the hotel freshening up before dinner or back around the lounge at dessert time, it's worth it. Like New York, I'd imagine it's worth it for breakfast, snacks, as well as coffee and dessert. Even a couple of glasses of wine adds up!

ChiTownClaire Feb 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by NWstu (Post 15831304)

I just booked 10 nights next January on points at the Ritz Kapalua last week. Called the other night about the $100 upgrade for club access. The MR rep kept thinking I was asking for an upgrade - which I wasn't. She had no idea what I was talking about.

Do I need to contact Ritz about this ahead of time?

Is this something that you ask for when checking in?

If we decide to do the $100 club level access - I am not expecting a club level room. Also - still considering the value since hubs and I don't drink that much - so we would probably just be hanging out in the lounge to try to get the $100 value in food (and eating wayyy to much) which wouldn't be too fun!

travelexpert Feb 11, 2011 1:23 am

As a platinum--I just stay away from RC.

JW does just fine--and the recognition is as good as (in fact usually better than) what I have received at other Marriott family brand properties.

aaupgrade Feb 11, 2011 7:38 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert (Post 15843665)
As a platinum--I just stay away from RC.

JW does just fine--and the recognition is as good as (in fact usually better than) what I have received at other Marriott family brand properties.

For cities that have both non-resort JW and RC I think this is very true.

For cities that only have RC or have RC but don't have nice or well located FS Marriotts then that is another story. Think Istanbul, Osaka, Barcelona, and Bahrain.

For resort properties it is less of an issue too since the JW/Marriott Resort probably does not have a lounge or provide breakfast which are the big advantages of a non-resort JW/Marriott over RC. Of course you need to make sure that the RC resort participates in RC/M Rewards (case in point: Krabi RC Reserve does not, so Phuket goes to JW Resort for that reason alone not to mention JW Resort provides full breakfast to Gold/Plat elite). The difference between Hawaii JW Resort and RC Resort would be a toss up IMO.