Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is the going rate for turning points into Marriott Checks or dollars or whatever

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the going rate for turning points into Marriott Checks or dollars or whatever

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch

... they call them these days?

I could not seem to find it on the site? One of my coworkers said there was some sort of promotion a while back where he got $1k for a decent bit of points and was able to have a big time at a JW...

I did a search, but I apparently am not looking for the right buzz word...

Thanks for the help....
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
If you hold status with Marriott you can exchange 135K points into Gift Cheques with a face-value of $1000 which in turn can be used at any Marriott-branded property just like Cash (except you get no change if you overpay with them). The $1000 comes as 20 cheques with a $50 value each.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:55 am

If you're so inclined, you can also use Marriott Rewards points to purchase Marriott Gift Cards, which never expire worthless (as the Cheques can) and which do allow you to "pay" exact charges without losing "change" (the Gift Cards are stored-value VISA cards, so you can use them to pay the same way you'd use a VISA card, and use them over and over until the value is all used up).

Prices are a bit steep, though, in my opinion:

$50 card is 20,000 points;
$100 card is 35,000 points;
$200 card is 59,000 points;
$500 card is 100,000 points; and
$1000 card is 190,000 points.

This link may take you there (or it may only work for someone who is signed in).
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Also, Gift Cards do not expire whereas Gift Cheques usually have a one year expiration date which can not be renewed.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks... I actually want to spend it all pretty much at once on my NYC trip next fall for my best gal. Figured we could live like rock stars at the Algonquin or Ritz in NYC.

Keeping that in mind, could I hand over $1k worth of them to settle up a some bar and room service tabs?

Also, I note they are 135k points, has anyone seen them cheaper? It seems like he said it was some special deal and they were less than 100k points.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Also, I note they are 135k points, has anyone seen them cheaper? It seems like he said it was some special deal and they were less than 100k points.

135K is the best offer i've found. I've used that conversion twice and enjoyed it! some diehards out here on FT have likely done better, but don't feel like you're getting scammed - 135K/$1000 is my best known one.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, Marriott-Plat, PC-Gold
The 135k for the $1000 is a platinum (and gold maybe) thing. Had this confirmed on the phone last week.

And I'm spending mine tomorrow.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
As far as being able to spend them like cash, the T&C's do state this:

Marriott Cheques may be used for all publicly listed and available room rates and packages, but cannot be used for convention, travel industry, tour, advance purchase, catering, or group room rates.
Have people had success using the gift cheques for corporate/AAA rates?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
They are accepted for AAA, Senior, and Government rates also. Never had a problem.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jtp1947
They are accepted for AAA, Senior, and Government rates also. Never had a problem.
Hmm, I don't have them in front of me, but I feel like on the back of the cheques, the T&Cs are more explicitly restrictive than those on the website (saying something like not valid for any rate requiring ID...). I picked up a few sets to use in March, and can save a chunk of change using AAA rates, but don't want to get there and find that they won't take the cheques.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: MR PP, DL PM
FYI, I would check to see if Ritz accepts these cheques. As of the end of last year they were not. Also, not all Marriott properties accept them so be sure to call the GM of your hotel choice and ask about that specific property. Good luck!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I don't think you can use them at a Ritz. Damn.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Originally Posted by msuroo
Hmm, I don't have them in front of me, but I feel like on the back of the cheques, the T&Cs are more explicitly restrictive than those on the website (saying something like not valid for any rate requiring ID...). I picked up a few sets to use in March, and can save a chunk of change using AAA rates, but don't want to get there and find that they won't take the cheques.
I have used these on 4 or 5 different stays that were booked using the AAA rate. It was never brought up and was never a problem.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by djohannw
If you hold status with Marriott you can exchange 135K points into Gift Cheques with a face-value of $1000 which in turn can be used at any Marriott-branded property just like Cash (except you get no change if you overpay with them). The $1000 comes as 20 cheques with a $50 value each.

Greetings - Dirk
Originally Posted by Counsellor
If you're so inclined, you can also use Marriott Rewards points to purchase Marriott Gift Cards, which never expire worthless (as the Cheques can) and which do allow you to "pay" exact charges without losing "change" (the Gift Cards are stored-value VISA cards, so you can use them to pay the same way you'd use a VISA card, and use them over and over until the value is all used up).

Prices are a bit steep, though, in my opinion:

$50 card is 20,000 points;
$100 card is 35,000 points;
$200 card is 59,000 points;
$500 card is 100,000 points; and
$1000 card is 190,000 points.

This link may take you there (or it may only work for someone who is signed in).
The link provided was for skymall. Is there a link for within the marriott site? On the skymall site, I didn't see any differentiation for elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.