Search

Grand Canyon Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Grand Canyon Marriott?

Staying in Scottsdale, but want to Visit Grand Canyon.
Figured will stay a night near.

Post seem to indicate Flagstaff SHS is best bet, is that still true?

Also, anyone done the trip?
How far to Grand Canyon and how long did it take.

Trying to decide if I will get up early in Scottsdale, drive to Canyon and spend night in Flagstaff or if I have to divide it up into two days.

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by rthib
Staying in Scottsdale, but want to Visit Grand Canyon.
Figured will stay a night near.

Post seem to indicate Flagstaff SHS is best bet, is that still true?

Also, anyone done the trip?
How far to Grand Canyon and how long did it take.

Trying to decide if I will get up early in Scottsdale, drive to Canyon and spend night in Flagstaff or if I have to divide it up into two days.

Thanks
I've done the drive and it's doable. It's about 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive to the GC from Scottsdale and then about a 1 1/2 hr drive to Flagstaff from the GC.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
If you have the time, I suggest staying two nights in Flagstaff. Drive up the first evening to Flagstaff the night before visiting the Grand Canyon. This will give you more time to see it. Go back to Flagstaff that night. Spend some time in Sedona the next day on your way back to Phoenix. It is only about 45 minutes from Flagstaff.

We stayed in the Fairfield Inn for a short stay. Rooms are small, but the hotel is clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The third floor is best because the other floors have outside entrances. I have heard that the Springhill is nice but haven't stayed there. The Drury Inn also has good reviews.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Pres. Circle, WN CP, CO Onepass, Delta Skymiles
Stayed in Flagstaff SHS a few nights ago... It was pretty snowy, but the hotel did a good job.

Lots of families staying at the hotel to go skiiing at nearby Snowbowl Ski area. (who knew you could ski in Arizona?)

Reason I stayed at SHS was it was less points than the Residence Inn and there was free breakfast. Breakfast was fine - a little crowded - but did the job.

The room was clean and comfortable and was exactly what I expected from a SHS property. There was also a refridgerator and microwave in the room.

Sometimes that's all I ask of Marriott - a consistant experience.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hertz Pres. Circle, WN CP, CO Onepass, Delta Skymiles
I also second the "stay two nights in Flagstaff". You don't want to be rushed at the Grand Canyon. There's lots to do at the South Rim and if you take a hike - the day goes quickly. Also, if you stay - I recommend seeing sunset at the west end of the South Rim. Take the free shuttle bus.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Southwest
If you must stay at Marriott, then Flagstaff (NOT WILLIAMS). If you're thinking of other properties then I'd suggest you consider the B&B at Wild West Junction
http://wildwestjunction.com/ From there to the GC is only an hour.

Another alternative might be to stay in Sedona and get a guided tour up to the GC. Someone mentioned that when we were in Sedona. Unfortunately, no Marriott properties are in Sedona.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by pj_flyer01
Stayed in Flagstaff SHS a few nights ago... It was pretty snowy, but the hotel did a good job.
Masterful understatement. Not only snowy, but record cold over the weekend. The White Mountains dropped to -11.9; I think I heard -18 in Flagstaff!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Also consider the Courtyard in Flagstaff. I've stayed at both the Courtyard and the SHS and while I'm usually loathe to recommend a Courtyard, this one is brand new and quite lovely. The SHS is a refurb property that used to be something else, but it is also up to the new brand standard.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Did this with my daughter a few years ago. I live in Phoenix and we drove up and spent the night before at the Fairfield Inn in WILLIAMS. Just a boring hotel but from there you can go over and get the first train up to the Grand Canyon. Not much to see there.

Be ssure and get a heated car on the train.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
We really enjoyed the train from Williams to GC several years ago. I've recommended it to anyone making the trip... don't know why I didn't suggest it here.

The trip from Flagstaff to Williams is < 1hr, IIRC, so you could still use the train for your up and back. Check http://www.thetrain.com/ for timing and availability.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Southwest
Just so I am clear, DO NOT stay at the Fairfield in Williams. The property is just not up to snuff.

Jan 13 Edit: I found out today the Williams property is no longer a Marriott property.

Last edited by MDixon; Jan 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
The Grand Canyon is really "grand" at sunnrise and sunset. Staying overnight nearby reduces the hassle of driving.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 4:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Train vs Car

So any reason to take the train vs just driving myself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.