Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Gold versus Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If Gold members are not allowed to switch to promotions with another target, than Platinum tier offers a significant valuable unpublished benefit.
Actually, from posts here, it seems that Marriott will allow both Golds and Plats to change promos.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl17
I understand what everyone has cited as a Platinum benefit except the 48 hour guarantee. What does that mean?
As a Plat Rewards Member, I can get a reservation at any hotel up to 48-hours ahead of check-in, certain restrictions apply. Some hotels have some blackout dates, and you wind up paying the top rate, but sometimes this is the difference between being on the street for the night and having a room. There have been threads on this board lately bemoaning a couple things: some think there has been an increase in blackout dates and if a hotel has turned over booking to a third party for a special event (the third party has basically booked the entire hotel) the guaranty does not apply. Personally, I average three situations a year where the guaranty saves me. Only once could I not get into a specific hotel, but I was able to get into a nearby Marriott property when a city was completely booked.

One more thing: Has anyone mentioned the EEO certificates? If you stay a Thursday, Friday or Saturday at a JW, Ren or FS, you can get a free second night. The certificate is available about 2/3 of the year, with breaks between certificate dates when it is not available. In another thread, people are bemoaning that the list of ineligible properties has grown in the most recent timeframe and that no NYC properties are available. Someone at Marriott told me it is just for this certificate because of people going to NYC to shop and see holiday stuff. There isn't available inventory. I use the certificates several times a year. Note, the certificates can be transferred, so you don't have to be Plat to use the cert, but being Plat makes it easier and makes it easier to sent the cert to friends and family.

Last edited by CJKatl; Nov 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Marriott, United
Originally Posted by CJKatl
As a Plat Rewards Member, I can get a reservation at any hotel up to 48-hours ahead of check-in, certain restrictions apply. Some hotels have some blackout dates, and you wind up paying the top rate, but sometimes this is the difference between being on the street for the night and having a room. There have been threads on this board lately bemoaning a couple things: some think there has been an increase in blackout dates and if a hotel has turned over booking to a third party for a special event (the third party has basically booked the entire hotel) the guaranty does not apply. Personally, I average three situations a year where the guaranty saves me. Only once could I not get into a specific hotel, but I was able to get into a nearby Marriott property when a city was completely booked.
Thanks for explaining.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:05 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Some hotels have some blackout dates, and you wind up paying the top rate, but sometimes this is the difference between being on the street for the night and having a room.
Actually, the rate the hotel will charge you is their normal corporate rate, not their highest public rate. I've used this benefit a few times and have been very surprised at how low the "override" rate actually was.

Note this is different than some of the other hotel chain's "room guarantee" for their top level elites. SPG has a similar benefit for their Plat elites, but the rate you will get is not their normal corp rate but the usually much higher rack rate.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually, the rate the hotel will charge you is their normal corporate rate, not their highest public rate. I've used this benefit a few times and have been very surprised at how low the "override" rate actually was.

Note this is different than some of the other hotel chain's "room guarantee" for their top level elites. SPG has a similar benefit for their Plat elites, but the rate you will get is not their normal corp rate but the usually much higher rack rate.
IME, I've paid the top rate several times. At the NYC East Side FS, the day before Veteran's Day a couple years ago I had to pay almost $800 for one night. At the Pittsburgh Ren, I had to pay $449 for a night when I used the Plat override. Recently, in Charlotte, I was quoted $269/night, but the hotel ultimately gave me the group rate for the conference at which I was speaking.

Sometimes I've been given my corporation's rate with the Plat override, but other times, when I've gone into Marriott's Web site, i know it's a plat override by the huge price and book elsewhere.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

IME, I've paid the top rate several times. At the NYC East Side FS, the day before Veteran's Day a couple years ago I had to pay almost $800 for one night. At the Pittsburgh Ren, I had to pay $449 for a night when I used the Plat override. Recently, in Charlotte, I was quoted $269/night, but the hotel ultimately gave me the group rate for the conference at which I was speaking.

Sometimes I've been given my corporation's rate with the Plat override, but other times, when I've gone into Marriott's Web site, i know it's a plat override by the huge price and book elsewhere.
Hmmm---not a benefit I will need. Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Front Desk

I'm not nearly as seasoned as a lot of the people posting here, but I have gold status and the differences I see from hotel to hotel (for equal status) seem to have more with who is working the front desk (and how you treat them) than it does with anything else.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
[...] These benefits are all nice, but one always has to ask, compared to what? [...]
When it comes to planning, IMO this is a very important input!

At year-end, it's most likely that difference is much less than 25 nights and the option to go for a relevant tier in another FGP is simply not there.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Another nice bennie!
I am a lowly Gold but have had zero problems changing my mega bonus.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
thank you

I was silver for years and made gold this year from rollover nights. Am in a position now to make Platinum, but was purposely trying to keep it under 75 nights for max rollover nights next year.

Thanks for someone mentioning the soft landing back to gold if I don't requalify.

Thank you Flyertalk, once again. ^^

(I guess I should spend more time watching my hotel programs, too)
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
I'm Gold and wife is Platinum. Other than the 500 point bonus/pint of Hagen Daz she gets, we really haven't noticed much difference. The key benefit of both elite programs is having access to the Concierge Lounge for all the goodies, particularly the hot breakfast.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As a Plat who always stays on gov't rates, the Plat guarantee has no value. Our gov't rates are very low and firm and the guarantee rates far exceed them. I can't claim over it, with very few exceptions. I'm occassionally left with settling for a SHS or CY. This also has an impact on points earned per stay. For example, in Boston last week my rate was $154 when everywhere else was going for $250+. So while I took points for the gift, my point earnings for the week were still under 10k. The $100 difference cost me 5k points. In a couple weeks I'm at the OKC Ren for $82 per night. I think the rack rate is $189. Thankfully, MR status is based on nights and not points! Since miles are earned BIS, such a scheme would be BIB - "butt in bed"?

The only time I take gift over points is after a long travel day and a late check in. And in those times, so appreciated and enjoyed!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:40 pm

I am currently a Gold and have an opportunit to make Platinum. Based upon some of the posts it does not appear that there is a big advantage to Platinum other than 50% bonus points and an arrival gift. Can someone who was a Gold tell me whether they feel they received better treatment as a Platinum? Also, what do Platinums generally receive as an Arrival gift? Thanks.
I've been a Platinum member for about 10 years and it keeps me staying at the same hotel chain. You may not notice much different in treatment as I've found that Marriott's tend to treat all their frequent stay customers very well. The Platinum override has been nice, however that is not available to Gold members. I've used this frequently when I need to go to a particular destination and there is an event in town. They will always find a room for their Plat members on short notice.

The gifts really aren't that big of a deal. It is a drink (wine, beer, soda) and snack (fruit, mixed nuts, ice cream) or 500 bonus points. I usually just get the points, but sometimes it is nice to relax in the room with the amenity.

The biggest perk is really the added Marriott points. I've found these to be very valuable and have taken free trips all over the world including free cruises. I don't think I have had to pay for any vacation travel expenses in over 8 years other than the tax.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:03 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The benefits of silver over base is a long list but with the exception of the extra 20% points, don't amount to a row of beans.

The meat at MR is undoubtably at Gold with room upgrades, which due to very few suites usually means slightly larger rooms avoiding the dumpster views (although I have had some great upgrades) and the concierge lounge access, which also gives free breakfast Mon-Fri, and frequently outside NA at weekends too. In Monaco, as there is no lounge the hotel gives free use of the minibar, a great value replacement. I daresay a few others do similar. The BOGOF EEO can be very nice, when offered and leads to substantial leisure savings. The extra points for Gold which are only 0.5 per $ over silver are all but worthless though. The addition of free worldwide internet is also a welcome new benefit.

The extra Plat bennies are a very short list:

1. 48 hour over-ride. I have used this a few times but its reassurance also means I don't commit business bookings till I know I'll need the hotel for the night. It applies 7 days/week so I've also used it for leisure purposes, most notably in Edinburgh for Hogmanay, when no other decent rooms were available below £200, The 48 hour over-ride put me there for only £99 (corporate rate). A really useful benefit.

2. The welcome amenity, 500 points or beer and nuts. Although some hotels do make the offering very attractive, step forward Grosvenor House. Points are welcome when on biz, beer/nuts/better are my preferred leisure choice.

3. Extra 2.5 points per $ over Gold, with my average rate being $200 night for Biz and $150 leisure this over 75 nights brings in about 35,000 extra points each year, not to be sniffed at.

Then there's the preceived benefit, certainly as a PLT I've noticed almost without exception I've been upgraded, I didn't notice it that often as Gold. Certainly it does seem hotel prioritise PLTs for the upgrades (when available).

So, a dash for PLT in December makes pefect sense then? Well, some might say possibly not since if you're Gold standing at 70 nights at early Dec, do you make that dash for PLT, or stay at gold and rollover 20 nights to next year to make Gold renewal/PLT acheivement easier next year? Well here's the value of the unpublished benefit, if you start the year at PLT but then fail to make it by year end Marriott gives you a soft landing to Gold, even if you don't make the 50 nights meaning that the choice of PLT or Gold at year end seldom benefits staying at Gold, since whatever happens, if you make PLT your'e guaranteed Gold at the end of the following year, no matter what your stays.

To my mind the arguement is therefore in favour of making PLT, however there are 2 circumstances where that may not be the best choice:

1. Having made PLT at some point in the past you're approaching the lifetime nights, then the effect of double counting the rollover nights may be a better choice to get there faster.

2. If you're planning a big long holiday-of-a-lifetime in Europe/NA/Worldwide (either cash or on points) in a couple of years. In which case rolling over nights to 2011 and hopefully attaining PLT that year gives you PLT status for that planned big trip in 2012.

Both of these may seem remote, but I have seen posts on FT in these terms. Nonetheless, the December dash for PLT (or renewal) seems to make sense in 99% of cases.

So, On your Marks... Get Set...

And remember, whatever the outcome, I'll see you in the Concierge lounge in 2011

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Nov 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm Reason: Adding the internet bennie
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by cova
The big benefits - lounge access, EEO free second weekends, and free internet are available to both Plat/Gold.

Marriott has few suites, so little upgrade potential. I have had to change room several times when my Plat room was not satisfactory. Extra points for Plat is nice and 48-hour guarantee is nice - but it is not always available for a Plat.

I am trying to book a hotel next May and no Plat rooms available.

I think Gold is almost as good as Plat.
It seems to be a win-win situation whether it's GOLD or PLAT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.