Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

5000 bonus Delta miles per stay is back, but

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5000 bonus Delta miles per stay is back, but

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Platinum
Great. My wife has booked a Delta trip and a Marriott stay anyway. So with that and the 10000 Delta bonus out of RDU, it's like a free trip.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
Originally Posted by kcool
Not quite sure how helpful Delta would be right now. I called them to ask if multiple stays during a R/T would result in multiple 5K rewards. They couldn't answer that question but she did key in on a phrase in the T&C - "Marriott International stay". She said that meant I had to have an international flight, as I would have to stay at a international Marriott property. I mentioned the T&C says we can stay at TownPlace Suites and they only have those in the US, so clearly that wasn't the case. She couldn't respond to that one.

I never got my answer on the multiple stays between inbound and outbound flights.
Marriott International is the name of the company. It must mean a Marriott stay.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
This whole promotion confuses me:

Do I have to book a Delta flight and then stay in a Marriott hotel for that portion of the trip? Or just have a flight booked and a hotel stay within the same time frame?

Do reward flights and reward stays count?

Do I get 5,000 Miles for the hotel stay and 5,000 miles for the flight??

Clearly, I'm lost.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
So, uh, has anybody figured this out?

I called two separate Delta agents today and one didn't know about it and the other said she thought it had to be 1 flight per 1 stay. She said, and I quote, "Don't quote me on that".

Marriott Concierge - can YOU contact Delta for us, since none of us seem to be getting a straight answer?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by Minneapolis
So, uh, has anybody figured this out?

I called two separate Delta agents today and one didn't know about it and the other said she thought it had to be 1 flight per 1 stay. She said, and I quote, "Don't quote me on that".

Marriott Concierge - can YOU contact Delta for us, since none of us seem to be getting a straight answer?
Haven't figured it out yet.. But I've got a DL flight booked and a Marriott stay booked this week.. So I guess I'll report back next week?

Clarification, anyone??
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
My thought is to book all one-way Delta flights where the price is comparable. If a Delta flight in conjunction with a Marriott stay is required to earn 5,000 bonus miles, then it seems Delta will correlate ticket numbers to Marriott Hotel stays.

You will have more Delta ticket numbers with one-way tickets. You may find that only one stay will count for a Delta roundtrip ticket.

Until the terms are clarified I think one-way tickets are the safe bet to maximize this promotion.

Here is my Loyalty traveler blog post on the Delta-Marriott offer.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I hope I can use it per segment, I wanted to do a multi segment mileage run out of pit, and stay at a marriott every night of it.
If I have to book one ways it will ruin the promo for me.
I hope we get official confirmation on the details soon.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the old days, there was always the "in conjunction of a xxx flight" clause for car rental and hotel points to accumulate in the airline programs. I had always interpreted it as "during the trip".

Of course, I was not as a crazy / expert traveller back then. Now I think about it, how can they enforce that with oneway trips and also where the hotel is vs. your flight destination/origin?

Still, unclear wording leads to disputes. Looking at the DL board, I don't see any discussions.

Since I have to use AMEX and the MegaBonus workaround does not seem to work for me, I had decided to shift the stays the rest of the year to Starwood (with the Double/Triple promotion). Even though DL miles are hard to use, at 5,000 miles per stay, it makes me wonder what I should do...
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Originally Posted by username
Still, unclear wording leads to disputes. Looking at the DL board, I don't see any discussions.
That is because on the DL board, if you try to discuss it it will be consumed into the consolidated promotions thread.

I e-mailed Delta and here is what I know so far:

1. My sense is it per qualifying ticket, not per qualifying flight segment. I am basing this not on a direct statement on this point (since nothing is ever easy when talking with or e-mailing DL) but on a very clear statement from DL to me that a ticket with a non DL or DL connection flight (i.e. codeshare with other airline) would NOT be eligible. So my reasoning is, if it were by segment, then one codeshare shouldn't invalidate the DL segments, but apparently they do.

2. When I asked about one-way travel, I wanted to know if the hotel stay can precede the qualifying flight, or must follow it, and was told either is acceptable.

So, from what I am piecing together:
1. The qualifying flight is, in fact, a qualifying O/W or R/T ticket with only DL and DL connection segments.
2. A qualifying flight will set off the 5K bonus, whether the hotel precedes or follows it.

What remains unclear still:
* Whether one flight sets off the multiple 5K opportunities, or if it is a 1:1 ratio. I am sending yet another e-mail to try to get a hold on this one.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by defiance96
* Whether one flight sets off the multiple 5K opportunities, or if it is a 1:1 ratio. I am sending yet another e-mail to try to get a hold on this one.
Very curious about this one.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hello all,

This is a Delta Promotion, meaning that the promotion is tracked by them and the bonus will be given by them as well. I can answer a few questions; however Delta may be the best one to answer your questions.

Eligibility:
To participate in this offer, eligible members must register online at delta.com/flyandstay and complete a qualifying Delta flight and Marriott International stay by January 31, 2011

A qualifying flight includes any Delta or Delta Connection® carrier flight. Codeshare flights operated by carriers other than the Delta Connection carriers are excluded from this offer. One-way travel will also qualify for the bonus miles. Bonus miles may be earned multiple times. Bonus miles do not count toward Medallion® qualification or Million Miler™ status.

Registration must be done through Delta. You also must have your Marriott Rewards account set up to earn mile with Delta.

When your Marriott Rewards account is set up to earn miles with Delta your stay activity and mileage earnings are sent directly to them. That is how they will track the stay portion of this bonus and is also the reason why they require you to have your account set up to earn miles.

It looks like any qualifying Delta flight would work, however, for further clarification as to what a qualifying flight is, I would contact Delta.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Marie
I have a trip scheduled on Delta beginning tomorrow. Just registered with this program thru Delta and switched my MR earning from points to miles. I will be in multiple cities before flying home on Thurs. My question is will I get bonus for each hotel stay between the flight out and the flight home? Also, in my MR account will I get points for the previous hotel stays but miles for the ones during this promotion and then if I switch back will I get points again for future stays?

Also, I recently achieved Platinum status. On a regular basis (without special promotions for extra miles) is it better to earn points instead of miles?

Thank you for your help.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
I might be mistaken, but seems like I don't get platinum amenity points when I select miles.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BDG8R
I might be mistaken, but seems like I don't get platinum amenity points when I select miles.
You don't. Take the wine/cheese when working on a miles promo.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
So got a response from DL and the answer is you need a separate flight for each 5K opportunity. Flight defined as ticket.

So its 5K per stay, per DL/DL Connection/No Codeshare legs ticket flown in the bonus window. That is how I am now reading it.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
I stayed last night at a FI. So that one stay will be the only 5K I can get? Can I now switch back to earning points instead of miles? I won't be flying again this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.