FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Visa free night - where is it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1127761-marriott-visa-free-night-where.html)

goldengate Sep 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Marriott Visa free night - where is it?

I signed up for the Marriott Visa w/the free night e-certificate offer. I have looked at Marriott.com in my rewards account and Chase online and cannot find any "e-certificate." Anyone know what the procedure is to receive this?

Thanks

Happy Sep 18, 2010 10:32 pm

Have you earned this bonus before? Marriott is very good at tracking its e-cert sign up bonus via credit card - it is only issued ONCE regardless how many times you get the Marriott card unless you get a different genre of the card (the much higher annual fee version).

If this is your first time, the e-cert should be deposited in your Marriott account and is viewable by clicking the appropriate tab.

One possibility is your Marriott account number may not be correctly associated to your Chase card - be it a typo when you typed in your application form, or Chase somehow messed up - check with Chase to make sure the Marriott account number associated with your card is the correct number. If the number is incorrect, the e-cert naturally would not show up.

philemer Sep 19, 2010 12:52 pm

You'll probably get more help at the Marriott forum so off you go. :)

goldengate Sep 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks... I did debate posting in that forum!

I've also contacted Marriott directly and Chase Visa directly to see if and when it posted.

catamaran Sep 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Marriott Visa

I had the MR Signature Visa over two years ago, at which time I did receive a
certificate for 1 night Cat 1=4.
I cancelled that card about a year and a half ago.
This May I applied for the Premier Signature rewards card which has a $ 65 fee.
This card promised 50000 points and a free stay. I did get the 50000 points but
not the free stay.
I contacted Chase and they informed me that since I had received a free stay
previously, they would not give me that, but that I would get a free stay on the
first anniversary of this card.
So much for the fine print, but hey, 50K points is still good.

Perhaps this will explain this to you.

b1513 Sep 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by goldengate (Post 14697881)
I signed up for the Marriott Visa w/the free night e-certificate offer. I have looked at Marriott.com in my rewards account and Chase online and cannot find any "e-certificate." Anyone know what the procedure is to receive this?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, the free stay shows up on the anniversary date.
You don't get it as soon as you sign up. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

mareh Sep 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by catamaran (Post 14709956)
I had the MR Signature Visa over two years ago, at which time I did receive a
certificate for 1 night Cat 1=4.
I cancelled that card about a year and a half ago.
This May I applied for the Premier Signature rewards card which has a $ 65 fee.
This card promised 50000 points and a free stay. I did get the 50000 points but
not the free stay.
I contacted Chase and they informed me that since I had received a free stay
previously, they would not give me that, but that I would get a free stay on the
first anniversary of this card.
So much for the fine print, but hey, 50K points is still good.

Perhaps this will explain this to you.

My husband had the same thing happen. He's had the basic card before. When he applied for the Premier Visa, he only received the points and not the free night's stay until the first anniversary of the card.

missnd Sep 19, 2010 5:54 pm

I got a free night after I signed up for that card, but they used my cert on the next rewards stay I made without my knowledge. It was a Cat 3 hotel and I wanted to use points, but they used my Cat 1-4 cert on it instead of points. I would have preferred to save the cert for a night in a Cat 4 hotel.

I didn't realize what happened until a couple months later when I tried to use the cert. I called and the lady I spoke with promised to deduct 15K points and re-issue the cert, but that never happened. They issued me a new Cat 1-3 cert and then cancelled it a day later. I've been too busy to call back and try to straigten things out again - and I'm not even sure if 5K points is worth my time and effort.

goldengate Sep 20, 2010 7:34 am

Mystery solved:

We recently received your request for a Marriott Free
Night Stay certificate in conjunction with the opening of
your new Marriott Rewards Visa Signature account. Our
records indicate that you were previously issued a Free
Night Stay certificate. As stated in the application
disclosure, this offer is valid only for first-time
Marriott Rewards Visa Cardmembers. We regret that since
the offer does not apply to existing Marriott Rewards Visa
Cardmembers, we are unable to provide you with a
certificate for your additional account. We apologize for
any inconvenience this may have caused you.

spacehawk Sep 20, 2010 10:48 am

How long did it take to get approved for this card? From day one, the phone system keeps telling me that they will notify me in 30 days in writing? It has been 2 weeks already and is this a bad sign?

Originally Posted by mareh (Post 14712449)
My husband had the same thing happen. He's had the basic card before. When he applied for the Premier Visa, he only received the points and not the free night's stay until the first anniversary of the card.