Wiki Posts
Search

On the Treatment of "Regulars"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage
On the Treatment of "Regulars"

There has been a property (Ren) that has taken very good care of me in the past. I stayed nearly every weekend for the past couple of months, and always had something waiting for me/sent to me (usually the 6.95 virtual concierge milk and cookies) when I arrived in the suite upgrade they most always gave. They even began referring to me as family.

But this weekend it all seems to have changed. No suite (though occupancy is at it's lowest and they're available) and no on arrival treat (though if I really wanted it, I could pay for it and get it).

I do realize none of these things I am entitled to, but the sudden hard line is a shock and kind of a damper on the warm feelings I got when coming here. I almost wanted to ask, "Are you mad at me for something?"

I guess the input I want is, as a regular (status or not--though I am Gold) when a property has provided for you in the past, do you come to expect it to continue (whenever possible) and should you feel disappointed when it doesn't? Or is it just how it is?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:03 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think it is natural to feel at least some level of disappointment if a previous level of service has been lowered.

I would definitely ask the hotel manager to find out if the change in service was deliberate (i.e. change in hotel policy or reinforcement of previously not followed hotel policy, etc) or accidental (i.e. someone forgot, staff turnover, etc.)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:25 am
Original Poster

I'm sure it was deliberate. The FOM is the person I regularly deal with (as she's here on weekends) and as expected, she checked me in. Friendly as usual, but I'm not the type to be blatant and question the lowering standard.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Please ignore, invalid comment based on updated post from OP above around deliberate.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Maybe a PP got stuck in a regular room and complained they didn't get what they 'earned'.

I don't mind them taking care of regulars, but only after the PP and Plats have been given first priority.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

One conversation between a ticked off PP and the GM can change local policy quickly.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

And of course, if occupancy was high I'd understand. But its low and there are rooms available. Occupancy is so low that instead of the average 79/night a standard room is 59.

I can't possibly imagine anything prompting such a radical change unless I did something, or policy changed. Either way, it's hardly good for business.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJJJust
I can't possibly imagine anything prompting such a radical change unless I did something, or policy changed. Either way, it's hardly good for business.
Which is why, if this were me, I'd have already had a conversation with the manager to find out why the change.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Which is why, if this were me, I'd have already had a conversation with the manager to find out why the change.
+1

People do things for their own reasons, but when we are impacted by those things, we tend to think it's something to do with us. You don't know why this happened, if it was a one-time thing necessitated by a unique circumstance, etc., but you've allowed yourself to come up with a list of possible reasons, all negative, and then let them impact you as though those reasons are the truth.

Just ask. Nicely. Then rationally act on the answer. If it is a true change in policy and you do no like it, switch hotels. If the hotel didn't realize how much it meant to you, they may make the call to give it back.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Another alternative is to just get over it...
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by dd992emo
That is a choice. But in that case why not just politely ask what happened? What is there to lose?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: LTP, PP
The problem with that (from the hotel's perspective) is that they've obviously spent time, effort and few extra pennies ($7 cookies and a larger room to clean) to gain the customer's loyalty and goodwill.

In exchange, the customer stays more frequently, doesn't consider alternatives or try a new experience, may overlook minor service failures or a shoddy lobby and doesn't flee to the competition when rates fluctuate wildly (as Marriott's tend to do). The customer feels "special and wanted" by a heartless profit maximizing corporation at real little extra cost to the hotel.

It is an illusion perfectly executed which is the entire point of these loyalty programs. And it can fold like a house of cards leaving a scorned feeling when a disinterested employee fails to come through.

Definitely worth escalating the question although if you have to ask for and demand the love, the affair is probably over...
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by joshua362
Definitely worth escalating the question although if you have to ask for and demand the love, the affair is probably over...
If it were a personal relationship, agreed, but when you're paying for it, you're entitled to request what you want. If the other person says she is no longer including cookies in the deal, and that's important to you, then it's time to move on. If the other person says she didn't realize that it was important but feels the business relationship is worth keeping, you'll get the cookies, your vendor keeps the customer, and everyone walks away happy.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: hyatt Platinum, *G, hertz presidents circle
Are you tipping? Couple bucks for the maid, drop a five at the bar for a $6 beer. It goes a long way...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Some of us will just have to disagree on this. If the hotel wishes to extend some lagniappe to a customer in hopes of getting more room nights, that is fine with me. If they want to provide their usual basic services, I'm good with that, too. Anyone who feels "special and wanted" because of some cookies and milk is, IMO, an emotional cripple who should probably be living with their mommy, who made them that way. BUT, I understand that their money is as good as anyone else's, too.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Anyone who feels "special and wanted" because of some cookies and milk is, IMO, an emotional cripple who should probably be living with their mommy, who made them that way
Presenting this month's award for over-the-top commentary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.