Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Great info - I'm there on a PL stay as well (at under $100 you can't complain), and am looking forward to the trip.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:47 pm

Thanks again for the info. I thought I'd provide an update since I've arrived. The hotel is defnitely under construction, and whether you have a nice stay or not depends on what you're here to do.

We checked into updated rooms which I believe are nice and meet the Marriott standards. There doesn't appear to be any constuction taking place in this tower which is nice.

One of the larger construction projects is for a new pool. Right now there are two existing pools (one kids pool that is max three feet deep) and a normal pool, plus the one under construction. The normal pool was closed today, but I couldn't see any reason why (it was full of water and looked fine). This left only the kids pool, but at 3' wasn't really going to be an option.

The three pools are very close together (about 25') and because the hotel is basically built on lava rock the digging is tough. Bulldozers and jackhammers are abundant from about 8am to 3pm and make it pretty much impossible to use any of the pool areas.

The beach area is fine, and while you can still hear all the construction, it isn't enough to keep you away.

My opinion is that if you're trying to use this hotel as a resort then you're in trouble. If you're using it as a hotel and going out every day then its not a problem.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:21 pm

Programs: NWPlat, DLSilver, MarriottPlat,StarwoodPlat
The update from the hotel is greatly appreciated. I am worried though, as I am scheduled to arrive 2 weeks from today and am burning up 130k hard-earned MR points. Do you think the jackhammers and bulldozer part of the construction will be done by then? I called the hotel today to check and they did admit that the pool was under construction but claimed that it would be completed by the end of March. Seems unlikely based on your update.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 6:12 pm

We are using hard earned miles too!! We are scheduled to be there the first week of June. My kids are 6&8 and I know that we will use the pools a lot. At least we have the option to use the beach too. Is it a kid friendly beach and swimming area?????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

CSBM
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:59 am

A few updates:

Both pools (child and child/adult) were open today so the one must have been closed for maintenance or something along those lines.

I have never had a pool built, so I can't judge how much time is left in the construction. They didn't do any bulldozing or jackhammering today because it was Sunday, but it looks like they have the majority of the digging done and may be at the cementing portion when you arrive. Keep in mind that the new pool is about 15m from the existing pool and there will still be construction though if it is without the construction vehicles driving through I think you'll be much better off.

Regarding the beach, it is fully useable right now. This is probably the most kid friendly beach you will find as it is located in a protected cove type area and the waves are pretty small. The beach is built on top of a lava flow area and is different than the sandy beaches you may be use to as the terrain is a bit darker and the ground is very tiny pebbles that are larger than sand.

If you want a sandy beach with more waves then I'd recommend going to Hapuna Beach State Park which is about 5 miles north of the Marriott. This is rated as one of the best beaches on the island and where we've been going.

I'd also recommend "Flumin 'da Ditch" as a great activity for adults and older children (this is a slow moving kayak ride that does go through some tunnels). We went yesterday at a recommendation from some folks in the Hawaii forum and it was great.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:15 pm

One last update before I leave. Today is our last day here and we stayed at the hotel during the day whereas we were out all of the previous days. Construction is in full swing now at both the front of the hotel and back of the hotel. The front door of the hotel is now closed and guests must use the side entrance. There are many bulldozers, dump trucks, jackhammers, etc. going off during the day and you can constantly hear construction and that truck backup sound.

If you aren't planning on leaving the hotel every day for your trip then I'd highly suggest you book elsewhere. If this weren't a $90 priceline stay I would have moved hotels a few days ago. I'm not sure of the value of MR points, but I'd consider using PL if you want to stay here or using your points elsewhere.

Again, its a nice room and the construction stops around 5:00, but the hotel is under *heavy* construction now and its not a fun place to be during the day.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:15 pm

Some pics of the room and construction

Front of the hotel:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88284018@N00/114448679/

Pool Area:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88284018@N00/114448678/

Renovated Room:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88284018@N00/114448681/

Bath:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88284018@N00/114448682/
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:10 pm

Thanks for the pictures
I am now sick to my stomach.
We are due to this property the first week of June. There is no way it will be
ready for us!!!! UGH
I think since we have two young children 6&8 that will be with us we might switch to another hotel. We will be using the pool area quite a bit and I don't want to listen to construction noise all day long.
We are using points and have used the award where they also gave us miles, but I don't see how this is going to work. I will be in touch with Marriott tomorrow and hopefully they will help us move to another resort!!

Thanks for giving us a HONEST and COMPLETE update.

CSBM
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Wow...seeing those recent photos after a stay in Jan that I enjoyed...I'd say 'stay away' for awhile--say six months?...once it is done it should be nice though...
Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CSBM
We are using points and have used the award where they also gave us miles, but I don't see how this is going to work.
CSBM
I also booked a travel package award to the Waikoloa Marriott last August - then found that the rooms could be had at firesale prices, $135 a night, due to the construction. Marriott allowed me to switch my week to the Vail Marriott this past February, so I paid for the room in KOA and got a much better value for my 130K points with a week during peak ski season in Vail. The room rate was quite reasonable especially after applying 3 $100 Bonus Bucks. Also we enjoyed the two free drinks each night, try the "Lava Slides" we liked them better than the Pina Coladas.

The property was quite nice and my kids spent more time at A Bay than the pool, although they did enjoy the slide at the pool which was not under construction when we stayed - just the North tower.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:33 pm

Catching the end of the renovation project isn't all too bad from my experience at the Marriott Wailea but one would not want to stay when the renovation is at it's peak.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:59 pm

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
We're scheduled to be there in mid August. We were aware of the construction when booking but were under the impression it would be completed long before our arrival. However, the messeage on the hotels web site is concerning as it says:
"...On going construction anticipated through the Summer of 2006. Please be aware, construction schedule subject to change."

Does Anyone know who the GM of that hotel is and his/her email? I would like to reach out fto get more details.

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:38 pm

By mid August I think you should be ok. From the schedule at: http://www.marriotthawaii.com/agents/renov/waikoloa/ It looks like there will be lobby, south tower, and cabana reservations then.

I just got back and stayed in the north tower. It looked like the south tower was already closed with plastic over the windows while I was there. The cabana rooms are a good distance away from the rest of the hotel, so I don't think that would matter.

The lobby / ballroom construction may be a problem, but it would only be the noise, as there isn't much in these areas that would be effected other than the restaurant /bar.

I think it's just at the worst time now. I'd rather see them close down the hotel than try to serve customers with makeshift service, but I didn't spend much time at the hotel and still had a good time on my trip.

Also, if anyone has a res booked in the next 60 days and wants to switch to the Hilton, I could possibly trade 6 nights at the Hilton Waikoloa Village for a future 6 night Marriott reservation later this year (pending availability). This probably belongs in Coupon Connection, but I'm not actively seeking a trade and something other than Hilton is always nice. No third party, experienced FT'ers only please.

Also I would like to recommend the following:

Flumin 'da ditch (Described above, but excellent nature / adventure ride)
Horseback riding in Waipio Valley (Search for Horseback Above Waipio)
Big Island Grill (Laid back, local restaurant)
Kona Brewing Company (A little more tourist focused, but nice)
4 Wheeling in Waimea
Snorkeling that leaves from the Marriott pier (we saw whales on this trip which was a bonus)

Also the "Kings Shops" right across the street from the Marriott provides an "ok" option for meals. I'd personally drive in to Kona if you have the time. The Marriott has a decent restaurant, but is better for dinner. Breakfast buffet for two ran about $50 and wasn't really worth it.

I would also say to fly into the Kona airport if you can. I flew into Hilo and it is a pretty long drive from Hilo to Waikoloa
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:25 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I am planning on going in mid September - am deliberately waiting until virtually (i.e. 98.5%) of the construction is all done.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Global Services, MR - Silver, Hilton - Silver
Waikoloa Beach under construction, how bad?

Question on how to handle the situation we are in, last summer we booked a 7 night stay at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott using 130k Marriott Rewards points for this July. Construction was supposed to be completed by Feb but as of today they are no where near being done and now estimate August.

ALready locked in with the airline tix so wondered what the best option is. Should I ask for a percentage of points back? Hotel credits? The woman at the hotel acknowledged that it is not a 6 star property based on all of the on going construction. Will have fun regardless but disappointed the property is not up to par

Appreciatte any thoughts or advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.