Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:53 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
bumping up - thanks.

could really use some feedback here. mahalo.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:17 am

Programs: AA,UA,NW,CO,AQ,HA
Waikoloa Marriott

This hotel was just bought by the Marriott from the Outrigger Hotels, and I understand they have been renovating it for occupancy. As a local resident, I can tell you that it is NOT sitting on the beach, but rather you would walk quite a distance on a boardwalk over the Tide Pools to get to the actual ocean beach. The hotel has a very nice pool, and I'm sure all the amenities one would desire.
I'll be staying there this weekend, and will be writing a critique about the hotel. I will share it with this Forum.
Any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to write them down.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 8:34 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by Sydny
This hotel was just bought by the Marriott from the Outrigger Hotels, and I understand they have been renovating it for occupancy. As a local resident, I can tell you that it is NOT sitting on the beach, but rather you would walk quite a distance on a boardwalk over the Tide Pools to get to the actual ocean beach. The hotel has a very nice pool, and I'm sure all the amenities one would desire.
I'll be staying there this weekend, and will be writing a critique about the hotel. I will share it with this Forum.
Any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to write them down.
Thanks. I look forward to your candid comments.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:36 pm

Post Hotel Review - Marriott Waikoloa Beach

Hi There,

This is stop 2 of the 3 island tour, the big island of Hawai'i. Hope this is helpful to those planning a vacation.

<---- start review ---->

Overall Rating (out of 5) - :-: :-: :-:

^ Good Points
- The hotel is architecturally very interesting. The whole lobby is area is open to the outdoors and from the water at night looks really good.
- The beach area has great snorkelling. I was able to see a great variety of fish including the Hawaiian state fish, the humuhumunukunukuapua'a (sp?), in my explorations there. The area I was in was off to the right of the equipment shack.
- The resort fee of $15 seems to be a good deal as it included the parking (although I didn't have a car), high speed internet, phone calls within Hawaii, a free appetizer in the lounge, 2 x 1/2 snorkelling rentals per day.
- Concierge staff were helpful.
- Although my brother in law refered to the Waikoloa as a compound, it was really well contained. The King's shops had a starbucks, a couple restaurants, and decent souvenir shops with okay prices. The general store also had an interesting assortment of "instant" noodles from Japan, lots of postcards, etc.
- Our hotel room although being a "mountain/golf view" did have a view of the ocean and the lava fields south of the hotel. Most of the rooms will have a partial ocean view from what I could tell.
- Breakfast credit from Anytime reward stay was applicable to any breakfast service up to a regular buffet price. This included room service as well.
- The turndown service each night included a small greeting card that had the day of the week in Hawaiian. Inside was a bit of folklore or information on the islands themselves, along with a couple small squares of chocolate.
- Kings and Beach courses both allow room charges for green fees and pro shop purchases. The rate for resort guests is cheaper than those who stay off the resort.
- Instead of a mini-bar in the room, they had an empty fridge. This made getting bottled water and drinks from the general store a great option as there was a place to cool them.
- On site guest laundry. There were 3 washers and 3 dryers. There was a long line up for these at night and in the morning though.

Bad Points
- Had a problem with the phone in my room. After about 4 or 5 visits, they got the one by the bed working okay but never did fix the speed dial items on the desk phone. They didn't operate the whole visit so I had to call the operator and have them pass me through to the appropriate group within the hotel.
- Beds squeak and walls are not very well soundproofed. Nuff said on that one!
- Breakfast buffet is rather mundane and again expensive at $22 or so per head for a full breakfast (not including tip). This wasn't a huge issue to me as I was on a stay anytime reward and that included breakfast for two each morning.
- Water from the taps in the hotel tasted awful.
- Bathroom was the standard format of bath tub (with shower) and toilet in a doored room and a single sink outside. Not an overly bad point but a bit of a downer after having the separate toilet in the Ritz property.
- Gift shop was really overpriced. The general store in the King's shop area was much more reasonable for water, postcards, etc.
- Local calls were $1.00 each. There was no real wired for business package except for the $15 resort fee which included calls within all of Hawaii and internet. Other items noted in the resort fee bullet of good points.
- Pool was rather small if you're interested in doing laps.
- Equipment in fitness center seemed to be rather small.
- My wife commented that the Rainforest Spa in the hotel provided basic massage services and such but she didn't get the impression that they had any "exotic" treatments like the spa in the Hilton Waikoloa.

@:-) Other Things of Notes:
- There are activity kiosks in the King's shops. They have access to discounts but you have to do the 90 minute presentation. There are a few options that you may want to look at including the HoloHolo card which gave a variety of discounts over a lot of services. I didn't do the presentation but was tempted as the Helicopter tours that go for $440 or so were discounted to about $330 with the card. There was also some golf courses, fishing and other items there.
- There is a discount card called "Fins and Fairways" that I found out about when I was paired with a gent on the Mauna Kea golf course. Although the discounts didn't apply there, some courses that are featured were highly recommended by this guy (about a 14 handicap). You can find information for it on the web site (google "Fins and Fairways") and order it online.
- The drive to Pololu Valley is great. The route we took to the lookout was inland up the Waikoloa Village Road, across to Waimea, down the 270 (I think, my brother in law was driving) into Hawi and then to the lookout. On the return we followed along the shoreline and stopped at Hapuna beach.
- Hapuna beach state park was amazing if you're into the surfing/boogie boarding thing. I did my first attempt at boogie boarding there and had a great time. I didn't find any great snorkelling. Be advised, the waves can be tricky and I did get tumbled over and wound up gasping for air when I got up to the surface.
- The Waikoloa pro shop at the Kings course gave me a metal golf bag tag when I asked for it. They didn't give them out unless asked. So if you collect that sort of thing, ask them and they will probably give you one.
- Due to the concentration of resorts book activities early. I was surprised that the helicopter tours were completely sold out a day or two before we were looking to go.
- Golfers take note that the Mauna Kea Golf Course has a replay rate of just the cart fee. So although the first round is steep at $195, the second round can be had for $30 on the same day. Brings down the average cost per round. This was a great course with some amazing views of the coast.
- The sushi joint in the Kings shops was okay. My brother in law felt that the staff may have been drunk on Christmas day however as they were having a hard time keeping track of all the orders and kept coming back asking if we had gotten different plates yet.

<---- end review ---->

Blain
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, MR Gold, US Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SW same as everyone else!
thank you for the comprehensive review!
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:33 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Anyone with Recent Marriott Waikoloa Experience

I did a search, but I have a few more questions:

Will be staying for a 5 or 6 nights sometime between 7/20 and 7/31. Would be a paid reservation (stay anytime award doesn't appear to be worth it versus the rate):

1) Anyone stayed there since the renovations have started? Tripadvisor consensus seems to be it is okay. Curious about the FlyerTalk opinion.

2) How far a walk is it to the beach from the rooms?

3) Are the ocean view rooms worth the additional cost? How close is the view? Do you get the ocean breezes and sounds or is it to far back?

4) Will some renovated rooms be completed by 7/20? If so, I'll probably request one.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Jon
Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Bump - anyone with recent Waikoloa experience?

Thanks,

Jon

P.S. I did call the hotel and got some answers. Still would like an feedback from flyertalkers. I am sure it will be more objective.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:14 am

Big Island Marriott?????

Any new news on the Waikoloa Marriott? I know they are doing renovations, but what exactly is being renovated? I would love some "new" information or experiences with this property ^

Thank-you!!
CSBM
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
We are going in August so will have info then.

Have a week long award res but also booked a revenue res at $135 a nite. Think I will save the Cat 6 award for another day since the renovation rate is so low.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
http://www.marriotthawaii.com/agents/updates.html

I'll also be able to tell you in mid-August
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
http://www.marriotthawaii.com/agents/updates.html

I'll also be able to tell you in mid-August
CPRich, when will you be there? We are in 25 August out Sep 1st. At the Marriott Kauai Lihue the week before that.

gardener

Last edited by gardener; Jul 2, 2005 at 7:48 pm
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Close but no cigar - Aug. 11-14, with the JW on Oahu 4 days prior and Westin Maui 5 days after. See my threads in the Hawaii forum for my, apparently insane, travel plans.

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 2, 2005 at 7:13 pm
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:19 am

Waikoloa Marriott

Originally Posted by CSBM
Any new news on the Waikoloa Marriott? I know they are doing renovations, but what exactly is being renovated? I would love some "new" information or experiences with this property ^

Thank-you!!
CSBM
My wife and I stay there for 4 days in January 2005. At that time there was no construction. Hotel was great in every department. Nearby, but not on the Marriott property there was some construction. There was no noise and it wasn't even noticeable.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Is this the Outrigger you folks are talking about? There is not a beach there correct? Just a public beach about two blocks away?
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dingo
Is this the Outrigger you folks are talking about? There is not a beach there correct? Just a public beach about two blocks away?
I hope not. I see no reference to "Outrigger" in the listing and it states "Located on 15 tropical beach front acres, fronting palm fringed 'Anaeho'omalu Bay", its called the Waikoloa Beach Marriott, away.com describes it as "On the Beach" with Beach Service Concierge and the picture certainly implies a beach - http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=KOAMC

I'll be a bit disappointed if it is not on the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.