Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Disneyworld, Orlando, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Disneyworld, Orlando, FL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Hey all. Looking for some advice on picking Grande Vista vs. Cypress Harbour vs. Harbour Lake for a trip next year.

Normally, we stay on property as Disney Vacation Club owners, but next year we're short on DVC points and I am looking to spend down my Marriott Rewards account.

Which of the three properties above would you recommend, particularly for a 2BR Villa?

Last edited by rflor; Jul 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm Reason: minor edits
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:59 am
Suspended

Best Marriott for Orlando/Disney with Kids

Stayed 2 nights at the Grand Vista and wasn't impressed. There are no upgrades for elites, no late check out.... I was really turned off when I got back to my room at 4pm and my room was never cleaned. It was clearly skipped over. It was pulling teeth to get housekeeping up there.... Stay away from this place!!!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:04 am

These are timeshares. You are not entitled to upgrades and lounges and using that as justification for a bad review only shows you didn't fully understand what you were booking. Marriott did nothing wrong.

I have stayed at a Marriott vacation club where I did not get daily housekeeping. It is generally disclosed on the booking page
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

I expected no concierge lounge or free breakfast. What I didn't want was a cocky attitude that they r timeshare and I should have known better. I had to pull teeth just to get a late check out. They wanted me out at 10am. I explained to them that I'm a Lifetime Gild elite. It was Sunday and wanted to least sleep in and leave around 11am. Not to much to ask.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checkout is at 10 am at MVC. They need more time to clean full units and turn them over to another guest. There's kitchens, the units are bigger, and because they don't get daily house keeping the weekly/turnover housekeeping takes longer. Also the unit is likely assigned to a specific guest for that night and they can't just let you stay.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:01 pm
Suspended

I accept that but staying over 700+ nights at Marriott locations I deserve a little slack. Only asked for a extra hour to sleep in on a Sunday not an argument with front desk.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You chose to stay at a MVC which has a earlier and more rigid checkout policy than a hotel.

MVC's are not hotels. Also at over 700 nights when staying with husband on his account and no special benefits at MVC's other than arrival points.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I accept that but staying over 700+ nights at Marriott locations I deserve a little slack. Only asked for a extra hour to sleep in on a Sunday not an argument with front desk.
Yeah, that's not gonna work with them. I stayed at the Sabal and had to unexpectedly drive 6 of us straight back to NY on a Sunday AM after a hurricane wiped out all flights for us. Plus being hungover and a LTP. They were literally at the doorstep at 11 am which was the checkout IIRC as we were packing our way too many bags, But I understood fully.

BTW, Sabal is the way to go, IMO, with mid to older kids. When they were small, an ordinary room at the WC or any other routine hotel room was fine if trying to do it on the cheap.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
Agree with above. Do not stay at the Grande Vista. We have stayed 3 times and each time left angry. Why did we stay the third time? Great rates. Never again.
The Cypress Harbour and Harbour Lake are great. We like the pool and splash pad at Harbour Lake. So that is our go to now. Harbour Lake does not have bathtubs in the master like the other MVC's in which I have stayed.
With older kids the Cypress is probably the best.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:54 pm
Suspended

You're right flsunshine...The Grand Vista rates have been good during the summer time which are the downtime for FLA (100 degrees and 100% humidity everyday). The rates have been $89 for a standard room. The GF loved it but I look at the big picture and love the added benefits at standard Marriott locations vs MGV....Guess I have to get used to that 10am get out call on the next stay later this month.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Do the Grande Vista or Cypress Harbour in particular have resort fees? I think I was assuming they would, but don't see anything on the hotel website, in my reservation, or in my confirmation e-mail. The confirmation e-mail actually says "additional fees may apply," but the reservation on the MR website says "government taxes and fees" are included (although I'm sure they'd say resort fees are not "government" fees), but there's also another line that says "Additional Charges" which just says "Complimentary on-site parking."
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:29 am
Suspended

No resort fees at those Marriott Vacations resorts.....However they r tight on late checks outs.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
No resort fees at those Marriott Vacations resorts.....However they r tight on late checks outs.
Every MVCI property I have ever stayed at has been very "tight" on late checkouts. I've always assumed it was due to the fact that MVCI properties are usually multi-room apartments where a hotel is mostly single room units with no kitchens to have to clean up.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never noticed any weird fees at MVCI. No parking/resort fees - just whatever the local taxes are.

Occasionally, I've gotten an upgrade from a 1-br to a 2-br. Off-peak stays in places where the 2nd bedroom is a lockoff unit attached to a 1-br villa. I suspect that's because they don't sell out of lockoff rooms by themselves, so they've keyed me access to that room too.

However, I'd never expect the reverse: if you book the lockoff room (that's the aforementioned $89 rate I'm sure), I would *not* assume that an elite upgrade to a 1-br will be available. To really enjoy an MVCI with the kitchen, living room, balcony, etc., you usually have to book at least a 1-bedroom unit.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've never noticed any weird fees at MVCI. No parking/resort fees - just whatever the local taxes are.
I think some do charge parking fees. Ko Olina I think charges parking for non-timeshare rentals (i.e. reservations made through marriott.com). Also they will charge if you need parking for a 2nd vehicle.

But in general, they don't charge a "resort" fee as the "owners" are already paying for all the amenities and services at that property. I'm not even sure Marriott could start charging a "resort" fee at an MVCI property without the express permission of the owners association. Note I would guess that most units at an MVCI property are owners (who have already paid for their week) or other timeshare owners trading into that week not "renters" going through marriott.com or similar portals renting their stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.