Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mattress runs without staying?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Mattress runs without staying?

Does Marriott mermit mattress runs without a guests physical presence?

THat is, can I find soe cheap rate at a marriott property, check in , and check out many, many nights later, if requiored to maintain status, get some megabonus, etc.

What are the recommended mechanics? Would one be so bold as to tell the GM at the property what one is doing, and show u p t the end of the stay to settle up? Or would most GM's object to such behavior? It would seem like easy revenue from a low-maintenance guest.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
You'll definitely be taking a chance...you should look at this thread.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jfhscott
Does Marriott mermit mattress runs without a guests physical presence?

THat is, can I find soe cheap rate at a marriott property, check in , and check out many, many nights later, if requiored to maintain status, get some megabonus, etc.

What are the recommended mechanics? Would one be so bold as to tell the GM at the property what one is doing, and show u p t the end of the stay to settle up? Or would most GM's object to such behavior? It would seem like easy revenue from a low-maintenance guest.

Why would you want to do something like that? Which hotel offers such decent rates that it could pay to book the room for a long period and earn good value (e.g. Marriott points) which over value the invested amount?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by bitburgr
You'll definitely be taking a chance...you should look at this thread.
Thank you for the alert and I have seen that thread . . . indeed, my post is something of a follow up thereto.

I guess I want to know what a GM would have to say if I fully disclosed that I would be in and out for days at a time.

More specifically, I am in the DC area, and might book a 16 stay at a myrtle beach, SC property. Midwinter, I've seen long term rates as low as $35 (currently $47). Given that this could get me (1) some good points in the current megabonus (2) qualifying nights, and (3) somewhere to stay in Myrtle Beach (which has some off season charm, a mild climate within a 7 hour drive, easy access to Charleston, and above all else, a NASCAR cafe), I might be able to justify the cash. But I must return to DC for the job midweek, you see.

I don't want to lie to anyone - ws just wondering what a GM might have to say.

The stay woudl span 3 weekends, and would come at a time when I might be a bit slow on my Platinum requalifiction.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Thank you for the alert and I have seen that thread . . . indeed, my post is something of a follow up thereto.

I guess I want to know what a GM would have to say if I fully disclosed that I would be in and out for days at a time.

More specifically, I am in the DC area, and might book a 16 stay at a myrtle beach, SC property. Midwinter, I've seen long term rates as low as $35 (currently $47). Given that this could get me (1) some good points in the current megabonus (2) qualifying nights, and (3) somewhere to stay in Myrtle Beach (which has some off season charm, a mild climate within a 7 hour drive, easy access to Charleston, and above all else, a NASCAR cafe), I might be able to justify the cash. But I must return to DC for the job midweek, you see.

The stay woudl span 3 weekends, and would come at a time when I might be a bit slow on my Platinum requalifiction.
Wow, I dont think Plat is worth anything near that amount of extra outlay

Even with the Mega Bonus Id rather keep that $200+ in my pocket then pay for those nights midweek when I wont be there

IMO theres very little in MRs Plat level over its Gold level. SPG or Hyatt it would pay but not MR, not enough coming back to me to justify such an outlay
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
Which brand hotel is it? This is something that the extended stay hotels are very used to accomodating -- lots of people I know will book a hotel for several months and then go home for weekends.

If you plan to be there to check out, it won't hurt to leave a few personal effects around while you are gone that you aren't too attached to...this way your room isn't empty & they won't check you out by accident.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite

A typical GM would be happy to assist
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by socrates
A typical GM would be happy to assist
I've done it twice (but only for 1-2 nights each). I just called the hotel, told them what I was doing and they were both fine with it. I think there is an OLD thread about one of the times.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
As others have said, I'm sure you could work something out with the hotel, especially if you are going to use some of the nights. However, it just seems like a huge waste of money.

If you are worried about requalifying, I would recommend getting the Premier Visa where you get 15 qualifying nights, a free night (Cat 4 first year, Cat 5 thereafter), and, I think, bonus points (not sure on that one). All for $75 or so a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.