Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I've been to both, and am returning to the CY on Friday for 10 days.

It really depends on what you are going to do.

If you are a pool and/or spa person then I would recommend the Marriott as it has 2 pools and a snack bar, and a very nice Spa. Marriott is at the east end of the main drag in Waikiki.

Courtyard has free WiFi, smaller pool than the Marriott. Courtyard is just over a block off the west end of the main drag in Waikiki.

It takes about the same time to walk from either to Dukes.

I was there back in July and spent 4 nights at each. I used the pool at the Marriott for about a half hour one day. My main reason for going to Hawaii is to visit friends who live there and Waikiki is convenient middle ground as one friend lives in Eva Beach, another on Kailua Bay, and a third on the hills overlooking Diamond Head and Koko Head.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband goes often for business at Pearl and bounces back and forth. He's not a beach person so doesn't much care between the two, but if you like the beach he says go for the Marriott.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I've been to both, and am returning to the CY on Friday for 10 days.

It really depends on what you are going to do.

If you are a pool and/or spa person then I would recommend the Marriott as it has 2 pools and a snack bar, and a very nice Spa. Marriott is at the east end of the main drag in Waikiki.

Courtyard has free WiFi, smaller pool than the Marriott. Courtyard is just over a block off the west end of the main drag in Waikiki.

It takes about the same time to walk from either to Dukes.

I was there back in July and spent 4 nights at each. I used the pool at the Marriott for about a half hour one day. My main reason for going to Hawaii is to visit friends who live there and Waikiki is convenient middle ground as one friend lives in Eva Beach, another on Kailua Bay, and a third on the hills overlooking Diamond Head and Koko Head.
Ive done both as well. theres pros & cons for both

I was UPed to a very large room at the CY also the bus stops right in front on the way to HNL and across the street on the way to the CY, not that its that long of a walk to the MR from the bus stop.

I had what I consider the best massage ever at the CY, only since its a CY no pts for the charge to my room, but I still was able to use my GC and that saved 10%

You can lost in the MR thats what I loved about the CY in & out very fast and not having to walk all over just to find the El and then my room.

A little longer of a walk from the CY to the beach, but I usually dont use the beach for beach things except watching the Sunset.

When I go back as long a sthe CY doesnt cost more then the MR or a SPG , Id be making the CY my home in HNL

Its not a typical CY as it was a reg Hotel before becoming the CY I think a 3*

also the hot tub at the CY ws alot hotter,temp wise then the MRs. otehrwsie the MR was hotter
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:38 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
The Waikiki Marriott does not have a hot tub.
I'm not even sure the pool is heated there.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
There is a hot tub by one of the pools at the Marriott. It is in the tower that is beside Kuhio Avenue

Last edited by HereAndThere; Dec 28, 2009 at 6:27 pm Reason: missing text
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:30 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
My mistake - website does show there is a hot tub.

It wasn't there a feww years ago.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by HereAndThere
There is a hot tub by one of the pools at the Marriott. It is in the tower that is beside Kuhio Avenue
Sorry about that - totally my mistake. Just saw on website there is a pool.

Couple of questions:

Do you know if the pools are heated?

Is one of the pools an "adults only" pool?

If so, I assume there is a bar near the adults only pool?

Thanks.

Last edited by freeupgrade; Dec 28, 2009 at 6:33 pm Reason: my error
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by craz
Ive done both as well. theres pros & cons for both

I was UPed to a very large room at the CY also the bus stops right in front on the way to HNL and across the street on the way to the CY, not that its that long of a walk to the MR from the bus stop.

I had what I consider the best massage ever at the CY, only since its a CY no pts for the charge to my room, but I still was able to use my GC and that saved 10%

You can lost in the MR thats what I loved about the CY in & out very fast and not having to walk all over just to find the El and then my room.

A little longer of a walk from the CY to the beach, but I usually dont use the beach for beach things except watching the Sunset.

When I go back as long a sthe CY doesnt cost more then the MR or a SPG , Id be making the CY my home in HNL

Its not a typical CY as it was a reg Hotel before becoming the CY I think a 3*

also the hot tub at the CY ws alot hotter,temp wise then the MRs. otehrwsie the MR was hotter
We spent one night at the CY two weeks ago while waiting for our "villa" to open up at Ko Olina. Although the price was right at $95/night senior rate, it was the tiniest room we had ever rented at any Marriott. And we were Gold-upgraded to the top floor with some ocean view. There was barely room to turn around in the bathroom. We also had a problem with the toilet which took two calls to the front desk to get resolved. It was obvious that Marriott had done some upgrading, but really the room itself was a bit on the shabby side. We did like the location; it was a ten-fifteen minute walk to the Royal Hawaiian where we always have lunch when in Honolulu. Security at the hotel was excellent and the front desk employees couldn't have been more gracious. Haven't stayed at the other Marriott in Waikiki, but I think we'll give it a shot next time. By the way, the Ko'Olina Vacation Resort was fabulous - without a doubt our best Marriott stay ever. Next time we'd like to stay two weeks.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by maltasr
We spent one night at the CY two weeks ago while waiting for our "villa" to open up at Ko Olina. Although the price was right at $95/night senior rate, it was the tiniest room we had ever rented at any Marriott. And we were Gold-upgraded to the top floor with some ocean view. There was barely room to turn around in the bathroom. We also had a problem with the toilet which took two calls to the front desk to get resolved. It was obvious that Marriott had done some upgrading, but really the room itself was a bit on the shabby side. We did like the location; it was a ten-fifteen minute walk to the Royal Hawaiian where we always have lunch when in Honolulu. Security at the hotel was excellent and the front desk employees couldn't have been more gracious. Haven't stayed at the other Marriott in Waikiki, but I think we'll give it a shot next time. By the way, the Ko'Olina Vacation Resort was fabulous - without a doubt our best Marriott stay ever. Next time we'd like to stay two weeks.
I take it they put you in the Main Tower, thats what most people want. I stayed in the other building next to where you drop off off your car for parking.

they told me as a Plat they thought Id like to be in the main building where everything is located, I simply said where is the larger room, and Bingo they gave me the other Tower

BTW I posted as such on the Main thread about this CY, it does pay to do a search before going, but it was only 1 night for you and made you enjoy the KO even more.

The CY has 3 buildings 1- teh main where you check in and everything is located 2- the small building behind the pool 3- the other Tower (where I stayed) on the other side of Valet or where the salt water pool (Bathtub , due to size) is located
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
AA- I have a feeling I might know you lol.

I am currently on a project on Oahu and although I have a house on the north shore, I spent my first few months commuting back and forth from town. I have put in 30+ nights at the Marriott and another 15 at the Courtyard.

The Marriott is MUCH nicer. The Courtyard used to be the Wyland Waikiki. The room quality is not yet on par with the Marriott/Courtyard brand. I was always upgraded to a two room suite. However, every room I was ever in had some degree of carpet stains and severely used furniture. I was treated VERY well by management. They explained that they will slowly renovate the rooms.

The Marriott has a hot tub at the pool by in front of the back tower. This hot tub has been there since at least 2004/2005 when i was here for another project.

Also, neither pool is 'adult' only. There bar is near the front pool.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Agreed - Marriott vastly superior to the Courtyard. In my experience, better staff, upgrades are minimal (the Exec King room isn't all that special), but comfier beds, nice pool, more amenities. make the Marriott a clear winner.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by wiskaway
Will be 4 nights in HNL and rates are same for Courtyard larger room and Waikiki city view room. Will not be renting a car and would like to be able to walk or take bus, taxi, etc. The Courtyard internet free access is a definite plus. Which location would be better? Anyone have any experience recently at either place?
My situation is almost identical (6 nights instead of 4), and I decided to reserve a room at the Courtyard. I've stayed at the Marriott before and got no Platinum recognition to speak of ("We are a resort!"). The Courtyard is a little better located for what I need to do there, and the free internet was probably the deciding factor.

I've read the comments about small and even shabby rooms at the Courtyard, but I spend almost no time in my room, anyway, so I don't care very much. A nice view would make a difference, but not enough.

Bruce
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
My situation is almost identical (6 nights instead of 4), and I decided to reserve a room at the Courtyard. I've stayed at the Marriott before and got no Platinum recognition to speak of ("We are a resort!"). The Courtyard is a little better located for what I need to do there, and the free internet was probably the deciding factor.

I've read the comments about small and even shabby rooms at the Courtyard, but I spend almost no time in my room, anyway, so I don't care very much. A nice view would make a difference, but not enough.

Bruce
Bruce ask for a room NOT in the main building. But you want the Tower building tell them where the salt water pool is. Much bigger rooms and there are some really small ones in the main building.

Next time Im heading over Im gonna call them up as they think the Elites want the Main building where everything is located.Id rather have the bigger room and walk the 2 mins over to the main building

I dont believe any room has a view to speak of
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: CO-Plat, HH-Diamond, MR-Gold, SPG-Gold
I stayed at the CY a few months ago. My room was filthy. The in-wall a/c unit was covered, and I mean COVERED with crud. They were sold out so no availability to change rooms. Bathroom was not much better. The glass door looked like it was frosted because of the soap scum. The other thing that bothered me, and this isn't really their fault, but everyone going to Hawaii has just come off of a very long flight and at least for me, I'm pretty thirsty. No bottled water in the room and the litte cafe thing in the lobby wanted $3-$4 for a bottle. Of course, you can just walk across the street to the McD's, but still...no idea if ther Marriott gives out water or not.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 005flyer
I stayed at the CY a few months ago. My room was filthy. The in-wall a/c unit was covered, and I mean COVERED with crud. They were sold out so no availability to change rooms. Bathroom was not much better. The glass door looked like it was frosted because of the soap scum. The other thing that bothered me, and this isn't really their fault, but everyone going to Hawaii has just come off of a very long flight and at least for me, I'm pretty thirsty. No bottled water in the room and the litte cafe thing in the lobby wanted $3-$4 for a bottle. Of course, you can just walk across the street to the McD's, but still...no idea if ther Marriott gives out water or not.
Ive stayed at numerous Hotels in Waikiki and the only 1 I remember offering me something to drink and it wasnt water was The Embassy Suites, no matter how hot or humid it was outside.

theres an ABC store across the street as well on the corner its not on Kuhio (the main drag) but on Lewers or walk out onto to Kuhio turn Right and it will right in front of you across the street (Kuhio & Lewers)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.