Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Washington DC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2000, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have thoughts on this property. IS the Concierge lounge open on the weekends? Just a little weekend with my wife end of July. Any restaurant choices in DC?
Old Jul 5, 2000, 1:37 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nice property, nice location. Usually, I believe, the Lounge may be open weekends but this may be variable based on season/occupancy level(s).

They typically call you (or used to call) before your arrival to ask if you'll need anything or if they could do anything for you. I do not know if this was dependent on being a certain Elite level (I was Black, now called Gold) but you might ask them if and when they do!

There are many former threads on eating in DC you should consult. And here's one!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/000268.html

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 07-06-2000).]
Old Jul 5, 2000, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That nice lounge has always been open whenever I have stayed there as bottom tier or top tier elite. This includes weekends and some holidays (unless they kept it open only for me) all around the calender.

Great goodies too
Old Jul 10, 2000, 7:01 am
Original Member

My favourite hotel in Washington DC (proper), although it ties with several in Northern Virginia, IMO.

------------------
Old Dec 25, 2001, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
JW Marriott Washington DC - platinum upgrade success rate?

Just booked a few nights at the JW and, as a Platinum newbie (by date of arrival), I'm wondering what success y'all have had with upgrades at that location.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited 12-25-2001).]
Old Dec 25, 2001, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Very close to 100%. (But I still like Metro Center better.)

Bruce
Old May 22, 2002, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
This trip is coming up in a few days, and I'm waffling on the JW. I'll be travelling with my parents and would like a little more space - and I think the odds of an upgrade to a suite are much higher at the Mayflower than the JW. I imagine a Concierge upgrade is likely at the JW, but I'm guessing the odds of getting a suite are next to nil. Is this a reasonable assessment?

bdschobel - you seem to be a big fan of Metro Center (from this and previous posts) - anything particular about it that should make it worth considering?

Old May 22, 2002, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The location is very convenient for my business in DC, especially as I use Metrorail most of the time. Also, I stay there so often that the staff know me by name, which always makes for a pleasant stay. It's not the fanciest Marriott in DC, but it's very consistent and reliable, and I always get upgraded. I used to stay at the JW before Marriott took over Metro Center (which was a Crown Plaza, as I recall) around 1996 or so.

Bruce
Old May 22, 2002, 3:53 pm

A little update (in case anyone's interested...)

At noon today, I sent a fax to the JW's reservation manager requesting an upgrade at lunch today and just went to the Confirm/Cancel Reservation section of the Marriott webpage to see if any changes had been made...

Lo and behold, it shows that my "Quality Room" has been replaced with a a "Hospitality Suite" (QAAD is the code.) Sounds promising. Any idea what this is consists of at the JW?

Old May 23, 2002, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snorkmaster:
A little update (in case anyone's interested...)

At noon today, I sent a fax to the JW's reservation manager requesting an upgrade at lunch today and just went to the Confirm/Cancel Reservation section of the Marriott webpage to see if any changes had been made...

Lo and behold, it shows that my "Quality Room" has been replaced with a a "Hospitality Suite" (QAAD is the code.) Sounds promising. Any idea what this is consists of at the JW?

</font>
QAAD is the code for one of the many AAA rates not the room type
Old May 23, 2002, 10:43 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Thanks for the tip on checking for upgrades.

I usually do some rate research online and then book my rooms on the phone.

I was under the mistaken impression that if you didn't book a reservation online, that you couldn't use marriott.com to check the status.

Well, this morning I entered the Rez # and lo and behold!! I have been upgraded to a Junior Suite.

Thanks again for the tip
Old Mar 19, 2004, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Washington, D.C. JW Marriott

Any recent experience at the Washington, D.C. JW Marriott? (Sorry, but search hasn't revealed much of anything.) This would be for a tourist/leisure trip with the kids. Any of the other Marriott properties better suited (points/$ not a big concern)?
Old Mar 19, 2004, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The JW is located right on 14th street & has a great location for seeing the DC sites - it's just a few blocks away from the Smithsonian and the National Mall, so you can walk to the monuments & see the museums very easily - also, the Metro isn't all that far away. If you're planning on doing things that are in other parts of DC, there's also the Metro Center Marriott which is sort of near Chinatown.

I don't know if it's good for families as I've never stayed there - I would imagine that you'd want to get more than one room or you may want to try a Residence Inn and get a 2 bedroom suite or something.

Editted b/c there are 2 T's in Marriott & to add that the Dupont Circle RI is in a nice neighborhood, but not within walking distance of major DC sites - but that doesn't really matter because of the fact that you can buy a 5.00 day pass to the Metro & it'll get you anywhere you want to go - Other Residence Inn options include the ones in Arlington - which are by Metro as well - a lot of people don't realize this, but if you're in DC, it's generally cheaper to stay in Arlington because the prices are lower (usually) and the tax rate is less.

[This message has been edited by bhatnasx (edited Mar 19, 2004).]
Old Mar 19, 2004, 2:41 pm

I would avoid this hotel for any purpose except conventions and/or meetings nearby. The location's not bad, but the rooms are small, parking is expensive, and it is the only hotel I have stayed at in the US (since I was very young, anyways) that did not have any vending machines on property. One must call room service to get a Coke!

For a family stay, try the Residence Inn Dupont Circle. It's about two blocks from the Metro, in a funky neighborhood with lots of good, inexpensive dining options. They have larger room options, kitchens, and onsite laundry facilities. I've stayed there a few times on business and been very pleased.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Pete, the Courtyard Embassy Row isn't in a bad location, but parking is a bear and traffic can be difficult (which are always issues down in the District).

My other Marriott stays in the DCA/IAD area have been mostly in the suburban properties, but if you plan to use Metro trains to get around (which I recommend), that might be an option worth considering. Even if you have to drive 5 miles to get to your nearest Metro station, that could save you a lot of aggravation when driving and parking (ha!) in the District.

Wasn't there a property in Crystal City that was well spoken of on this board recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.