Wiki Posts
Search

Room Service Tips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
Room Service Tips

I have a question. I order room service a lot as I do not like to dine out alone. Marriott puts a 20% SERVICE FEE on the bill. I have asked the server if that is their tip. I have had a couple say yes and I have had some say a very small part of that. It is divided up with the cooks and others.. What is the truth and should I be adding additional tip. It is ultimately the company's money so I don't really care. I just want to be fair.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by flyinghome
I have a question. I order room service a lot as I do not like to dine out alone. Marriott puts a 20% SERVICE FEE on the bill. I have asked the server if that is their tip. I have had a couple say yes and I have had some say a very small part of that. It is divided up with the cooks and others.. What is the truth and should I be adding additional tip. It is ultimately the company's money so I don't really care. I just want to be fair.
I used to ask that question to, but have come to the following conclusion (even though it is the company's money). I no longer will add more to the tip because it is just a way of Marriott and all other chains to have us subsidize the wages they pay their people and it has only been creeping up. I remember not too long ago it was 10%, then 15% and now I'm seeing 22.5% in some places!

I would rather just pay higher prices for the food then have these chains openly tell me that I am subsidizing their labor force. Why do we in the U.S. feel that everyone everywhere deserves a 20% tip anyways? It isn't custom practice in most other countries...but that is another topic.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
How about a 20+% service charge and a delivery charge of $1-$2 on top of that, which I've seen.

Plus, if you compare, you'll see the same items on the room service menu that are in the restaurant are $1-$2 higher! Its all from the same kitchen.

And really you don't have the ability to "send it back" when the overcook your $13 hamburger.

Its an awkward situation when the give you the charges, there is an open spot for gratuity and he's waiting for you to complete. I've either added $1 or written "included" in that spot depending on my mood.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
I always put a little bit on - but never more than like 10%. Most of my in-room dining is later in the night so I figure if they deserve extra when dealing with people like me who are coming back from "fun" dinners with clients.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
see message that follows

Last edited by USirritated; Oct 26, 2007 at 1:42 pm Reason: deleted as duplicate in error
Old Oct 26, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by joshua362
How about a 20+% service charge and a delivery charge of $1-$2 on top of that, which I've seen.

Plus, if you compare, you'll see the same items on the room service menu that are in the restaurant are $1-$2 higher! Its all from the same kitchen.

And really you don't have the ability to "send it back" when the overcook your $13 hamburger.

Its an awkward situation when the give you the charges, there is an open spot for gratuity and he's waiting for you to complete. I've either added $1 or written "included" in that spot depending on my mood.
I too have gotten answers all over the map from the room service delivery staff people, from "yes, that is our tip," to "no, that goes to the hotel," to everything in between. I have also asked the delivery staff, then called the room service manager and gotten a different answer, and then the MOD, and gotten a different answer, and even once the GM the next day and gotten a fourth answer. I wrote them all down, and after the GM told me the fourth answer, I raised holy heck with him about that and said that I felt like I had been lied to! He tripped over his tongue, his shoelaces, his dog, his kids skateboard, and Rob Petrie's ottoman (ask if you don't know that one) he was so embarrassed! He could not comp me enough and offer me enough! I told him that I was in shock, and that I was not expecting four different answers, that two would not have surprised me, but four amazed me. Even with all of his profuse apologies, and explanations, I was still shaking my head and not sure what to believe. Needless to say I did not pay for that room service meal!

At the hotels that charge both a service charge and a delivery fee, I will NEVER add a penny to what they bill me, because that is just disgusting naked greed! Nothing more needs to be said on that issue!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by USirritated
At the hotels that charge both a service charge and a delivery fee, I will NEVER add a penny to what they bill me, because that is just disgusting naked greed! Nothing more needs to be said on that issue!
I totally agree, and never add anything to the tip line on a room service bill. I'm already paying 20% + about $2 at most places to have the food brought up to my room. There is no way it costs the hotel that much to offer room service, and if that service charge isn't going to the employee who delivered the food, then the food service employees need to have some serious discussion with the hotel's management about why they're not receiving the gratuity that the hotel is automatically charging to the guests who order room service. I don't see it as my problem to solve a compensation issue between the hotel and its employees.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Totall agree with most...I do not add anything else to it...
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I have been actively yelled at by staff for not adding anything extra. In the case in question, the service fee was even labeled as a gratuity of 18%+ that was automatically added, rather than a generic "service fee".
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:39 pm

A few weeks ago, a blog entitled "Tips on Tipping in Restaurants" appeared in the collection of blogs attributed to Mr. M.

http://www.blogs.marriott.com/defaul...85400#comments

I'd really be interested in learning his views about tipping in his hotels, specifically when and when not. in his opinion it is appropriate to do so in the Marriott family of lodging establishments..
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum
I usually leave a dollar but never anything more. It is definitely an awkward situation, especially when the server is staring directly at the receipt as you contemplate their tip fate.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ssullivan
I totally agree, and never add anything to the tip line on a room service bill. I'm already paying 20% + about $2 at most places to have the food brought up to my room. There is no way it costs the hotel that much to offer room service, and if that service charge isn't going to the employee who delivered the food, then the food service employees need to have some serious discussion with the hotel's management about why they're not receiving the gratuity that the hotel is automatically charging to the guests who order room service. I don't see it as my problem to solve a compensation issue between the hotel and its employees.
While I agree with the premise, I do not necessarily agree with the conclusion. In constructive practice it would be a great idea to say that the hotel employees should be able to speak up for themselves, however in reality that is unlikely considering the demographic groups that room service and other similar employees are likely to come from. By and large they are immigrants, and they do not easily speak up for themselves out of fear, real or imagined. Many of them are not union organized, and are fearful of attempting to organize for a multitude of reasons, such as intimidation, being fired, and any number of other issues. Basically, you assume that the parties, meaning hotel management and hotel employees, are dealing from equal strength or equal positions, and unfortunately, this is often not true, especially not in some non-US locations.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by rahmanbar
A few weeks ago, a blog entitled "Tips on Tipping in Restaurants" appeared in the collection of blogs attributed to Mr. M.

http://www.blogs.marriott.com/defaul...85400#comments

I'd really be interested in learning his views about tipping in his hotels, specifically when and when not. in his opinion it is appropriate to do so in the Marriott family of lodging establishments..
I saw that too and concluded it was some made up fairy tale / urban myth. If you read the story, the waitress gave the kid some attitude yet left a 43% tip.

I'm sure he's all for very generous tipping as he can pay his employees less. Probably a reason he chose this topic for a blog?

Last edited by joshua362; Oct 26, 2007 at 7:15 pm
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
I saw that too and concluded it was some made up fairy tale / urban myth. If you read the story, the waitress gave the kid some attitude yet left a 43% tip.

I'm sure he's all for very generous tipping as he can pay his employees less...
I have no idea whether that is a fairy tale or not, because I have heard that story for years and years, it dates back to at least the 1950s.

As far as what he pays his employees, that is a VERY COMPLICATED issue, since remember, he does not own the hotels anymore, remember? (Okay, he owns three or four of them, but by and large, MI does not own hotels!) Beyond that, the pay scales are so different location to location, as determined by minimum wage laws from state to state, and even city to city (there are living wage laws too), and that is just within the USA! Besides that there are also union issues to deal with, and so many other isses that we have no idea of. TO simply say that "he can pay his employees less" is so vastly oversimplified and unfair is putting it mildly to say the least. There are also circumstances where MI has the management contract and does have something to do with setting the pay grades of the employees in the hotels too, so it is sometimes more complicated, and sometimes less complicated (when MI does not have a management contract, etc.) I am sure that I could go on and on.

The story was an allegory, a fable, to teach us, to explain morals, and it was effective. We can choose to accept it, or we can choose not to, and move on, but why argue about it and be derisive?
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by Danpod
I usually leave a dollar but never anything more.
I did too....except when we went past the 15% gratuity threshold. I actually don't mind the gratuity being a bit higher, but when the extended palm goes along with it, you can count me out.

I've pretty much given up on room service anyway. Too many overpriced, badly cooked, barely warm meals....even in the best places.

If I really, really want to "eat-in" (which isn't often), I'll bring something to the room with me. Either a carry out in the evening or a breakfast bar, cereal, etc. for the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.