Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question: Transferring Marriott Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: DL BA UA | SPG MR
Originally Posted by Scooby3597
Thank you for pointing that out... Looks like I lost my cool way too quickly

I wish they had explained that.
That phone call to Chase regarding the credit card will be embarassing...
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hhoope01
One of Marriott's good points is that they will allow points to be transferred from ANY other account with no charge. The major stipulation though is that only the points needed to order an award will be transferred.

Yes, the T&Cs state this is a benefit for spouses, but Marriott will actually allow any two accounts to be used. I don't know of any other program that generous with transfering points.

I would suspect that given this level of flexibility with transferring points, Marriott has to protect itself AND both of the parties in question. They do that with their fairly long and paper based transfer process.

Personally, I'll take their current paper based process over them not allowing transfers (or even truly limiting it to spouses.)
Agree.

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:59 pm

I'm interested in acquiring more Marriott points, but I don't stay at enough hotels to amass as many as I would like, and there's pretty much only one CC with a decent Marriott signup bonus.

Upon doing some research, I did find Marriott points are transferable (to pretty much anyone if you do the paperwork, even though the T&C say spouse only).
Does Marriott watch these transfers and close people's accounts if they take advantage of them, or is it pretty laissez-faire?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
General program questions should be asked in the appropriate program forum.

Spiff, CC moderator
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Bttc
I'm interested in acquiring more Marriott points, but I don't stay at enough hotels to amass as many as I would like, and there's pretty much only one CC with a decent Marriott signup bonus.

Upon doing some research, I did find Marriott points are transferable (to pretty much anyone if you do the paperwork, even though the T&C say spouse only).
Does Marriott watch these transfers and close people's accounts if they take advantage of them, or is it pretty laissez-faire?
I've never had an issue transferring points to someone. I've only done it three times, but to three different people.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by Bttc

You can buy up to 50,000 points from Marriott for $625
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I've never had an issue transferring points to someone. I've only done it three times, but to three different people.
were you limited as to how many points you could transfer in 1 year?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:47 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AM6449
were you limited as to how many points you could transfer in 1 year?
You will only be able to transfer the number of points required to order a specific award.

Note that the points transfer can only be done when ordering an award that requires more points than you currently have. So you may need to order some "dummy" awards and then cancel them. All points will be placed into the account that ordered the award. Thus the end result is you just transfered points to your account.

With that said, I know of no limitation on the number of times you could do this. Though I would guess if you did it a "bunch" of times in quick succession, someone in Marriott may notice and question it. Though I don't remember ever seeing anyone post here about a problem from Marriott management by doing this a bunch of times.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:34 pm

You will only be able to transfer the number of points required to order a specific award.

Note that the points transfer can only be done when ordering an award that requires more points than you currently have. So you may need to order some "dummy" awards and then cancel them. All points will be placed into the account that ordered the award. Thus the end result is you just transfered points to your account.

With that said, I know of no limitation on the number of times you could do this. Though I would guess if you did it a "bunch" of times in quick succession, someone in Marriott may notice and question it. Though I don't remember ever seeing anyone post here about a problem from Marriott management by doing this a bunch of times.
Thanks for your quick and thorough response! ^
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
To begin the transfer, Marriott faxes you an affidavit to complete and sign. Does anyone have a printable copy of this affidavit they can post?

This will help many of us make the booking, confirm the transfer, and fax the completed form in one phone call. Less chance of confusion/error while switching between agents.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
thats right, keep on publishing in a monitored forum how to violate MR rules so this ability for legitimate usage, like the recently discontinued Taste of gold/platinum, is likewise discontinued for abuse .............

Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
thats right, keep on publishing in a monitored forum how to violate MR rules so this ability for legitimate usage...
Exactly which rule is being broken here?

BTW, when I did this, the Marriott agent knew exactly what I was doing and even why. I wanted to make sure that the points ended up in the correct account. So the agent made sure to tell me which account should be listed for which part of the faxed points transfer form. Neither the agent nor anyone from Marriott has ever told me that this was breaking any of their rules and/or to not do this.

I am truly sorry you don't like my sharing this with others on FT, but I've always thought of FT as the exact place for this type of information.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:48 pm
Suspended

read your own posts above to answer your current question............

Exactly which rule is being broken here?

BTW, when I did this, the Marriott agent knew exactly what I was doing and even why. I wanted to make sure that the points ended up in the correct account. So the agent made sure to tell me which account should be listed for which part of the faxed points transfer form. Neither the agent nor anyone from Marriott has ever told me that this was breaking any of their rules and/or to not do this.

I am truly sorry you don't like my sharing this with others on FT, but I've always thought of FT as the exact place for this type of information.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
read your own posts above to answer your current question............
A slightly different situation (dealing with trying to get points from 3 accounts into one account. Something I hadn't really thought of at the time.) But do note that I do believe the Marriott agent I had talked with was the one that made the suggestion to create a dummy reservation to pull the points and then cancel it to get the points into my account. My biggest concern at the time was making sure that the points ended up in my account rather than the other one.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:35 pm
Suspended

IMO, the more you keep publishing how to end run MR rules for other then the allowed purpose the more likely it will be that the ability, like Taste of G/P, BOGOs, TPs that you could split nights in HI/EU, etc., will no longer be available so let me thank you in advance once this ability goes the way of the do-do bird...........

A slightly different situation (dealing with trying to get points from 3 accounts into one account. Something I hadn't really thought of at the time.) But do note that I do believe the Marriott agent I had talked with was the one that made the suggestion to create a dummy reservation to pull the points and then cancel it to get the points into my account. My biggest concern at the time was making sure that the points ended up in my account rather than the other one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.