Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
So having been denied twice on the UK number I called the US number and got offered the 9 stay challenge. Excellent!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Yes, I was wondering if that is why you were having an issue. They did ask some questions, but were very helpful. Now I just need to hope that there are enough marriotts in the locations I will be travelling to in order to meet the challenge and alleviate the need for a mattress run.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
How to maximize value during marriot challenge

Signed up for the marriott challenge and I have an upcoming trip where I wish to maximize my rewards earning potential. I am paying using a chase freedom card (getting another CC is not an option). Is there any benefit to going through the Chase UR site to book the reservation? I know stays booked via third party websites do not count as they want you to book directly through marriott but I didn't know if that would be applicable to the UR portal given Chase's connection to marriott card.

There is currently a deal where you can get united miles for buying marriott gift cards. If I were to do this and then paid for my stays with these cards would I still get credit for my stays as well as MR points?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: marriott, delta
Yes you would
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
I am in same situation. Decided would rather save money, and purchased $600 of Marriott Gift Cards with the 10% Amtrak bonus.

Would rather have $60 in the wallet instead of the 2,500 United points.

Purchased the Gift cards with the 2% cash back Barclays card. Then booked the rooms with Ebates to get 2.5% cashback. So all in, 14.5% off room rate, before AAA discount.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maksimfa
Just got off the phone. Enrolled in Platinum.

Told the lady my story, I have 9 nights this year with Marriott, I am Silver, almost gold with Hilton, and platinum with Accor. She stated "based on the information provided, I can make the exception and enroll you in the platinum challenge, your status will be updated tomorrow.

Need 9 stays by Nov 30th... I have a number of trips coming up, so should have 4 in next few weeks, rest by end of Sept.

Woot woot, thanks guys!

Got the United Silver 2 days later. woot woot.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
Probably a dumb question, but I am Platinum now because of the Platinum Challenge I did last year.. On paper, I will barely make Gold at the end of this year.. Can I do a Platinum Challenge again this year for status next year?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by UGATraveler
Probably a dumb question, but I am Platinum now because of the Platinum Challenge I did last year.. On paper, I will barely make Gold at the end of this year.. Can I do a Platinum Challenge again this year for status next year?
Nope. You need to first wait until your status drop back to normal. Then you can ask for Plat challenge again.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maksimfa
Got the United Silver 2 days later. woot woot.
When is your silver expiring? Mr. Nacho got his card today and the silver status only valid through Jan 31, 2014.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
that's correct (unless he requals for S/G/P in the normal way or the UA-MR deal is continued next year and Mr Nacho is still MR's P)..........

Originally Posted by nacho
When is your silver expiring? Mr. Nacho got his card today and the silver status only valid through Jan 31, 2014.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Geoggy
So having been denied twice on the UK number I called the US number and got offered the 9 stay challenge. Excellent!
Good to know. I've tried the UK number twice, and twice been denied by the most arrogant, self-righteous woman at the end of the line. Told me I wasn't eligble as I was a base tier member with "low Marriott usage".

Despite explaining that the reason I had a low night count was because I am a Hilton Gold, she didn't buy it. Gave up after being bored with going round in circular arguments. Will now try the US line.

Edit: US line sorted me out. Excellent customer services and make me wonder why I even bothered with the UK number. Went for the Taste of Gold - Platinum was an unlikely target, so went with something closer to what I could get.

Last edited by Jordan D; Aug 13, 2013 at 11:35 am Reason: Updated information
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Marriotts Platinum Challenge

A quick question, is a ritz-carlton stay also qualified to fulfill the platinum challenge? Many thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ruoyu
A quick question, is a ritz-carlton stay also qualified to fulfill the platinum challenge? Many thanks.
Yes.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Yes.
Many thanks! May I also ask if booking through virtuoso is O.K. for the same purpose?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ruoyu
Many thanks! May I also ask if booking through virtuoso is O.K. for the same purpose?
No, it has to book through marriott.com.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.