Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by imasosec
Also, the program will end at the first living President, currently Jimmy Carter. So, if Carter is alive after the Gerald Ford Dollar is issued in 2016, the program ends and there will be no Ronald Reagan coin.
Wrong!

"Under federal law (31 U.S.C. § 5112), no coins may be issued featuring a living president, or a president who died less than two years earlier. The program will run until at least 2016 with the coin commemorating Ronald Reagan, but may continue longer depending on the longevity of the currently living former presidents, and the longevity of the current president or presidents yet to be elected." -- Wikipedia

Steve
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by steve32
here is a Canadian paper company just over the border from them that can supply higher quality paper for lower cost, but can't due to that law.
How old is that data? (asked because of the recent value of the loonie)
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:26 pm
FSU

Just received my coins today. Interesting it did not need a signature and was left on the front step.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM | DL Gold | AA Gold | Marriott Platinum | Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Yeah, me too. I ordered 6/17, showing a ship date of 7/2. Now it says shipping 7/4! And seeing as that's a big holiday and a Friday... I don't expect shipping until 7/7 at the earliest.
Yeah, I ordered 6/18 and mine said shipping 7/3 and then 7/4 but now says 7/5 so I'm not expecting it to ship until 7/7 either...

Last edited by World_Traveler; Jun 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by rrgg
How old is that data? (asked because of the recent value of the loonie)
As for the cost, admittedly some years old.

As for all you aspiring Pastafarians, the coins you should be filling that wooden chest with are Canadian "double-loons", or as I call them, "Doub-Loons"

Steve
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many ka-ching thanks to the OP for a great idea. I ordered 2 boxes; hope it won't be too heavy for me to take to the bank. Wouldn't it be so cool if FDX could directly ship to my bank?

I tried looking for a shopping portal to maximize the gain, but did not find any. I guess this is something the US Mint hasn't heard of.

I don't really want to overuse this great idea. Are they going to release more coins with other Presidents? I wouldn't mind ordering once per President.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by FSU
Just received my coins today. Interesting it did not need a signature and was left on the front step.
What does the packaging look like? I'm assuming it's small and quite heavy but hopefully doesnt have a color picture of the coins emblazoned across the front.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 6:06 am

Programs: AA Plat
Wrong!

"Under federal law (31 U.S.C. § 5112), no coins may be issued featuring a living president, or a president who died less than two years earlier. The program will run until at least 2016 with the coin commemorating Ronald Reagan, but may continue longer depending on the longevity of the currently living former presidents, and the longevity of the current president or presidents yet to be elected." -- Wikipedia

Steve
WRONG! Don't always trust Wikipedia. From News Sources -

The total number of presidents scheduled to appear on coins is 37. That can change. The law prohibits living presidents from appearing, or former presidents who have died but, as president, succeeded one who's still alive.

That's why there's no plan yet for a Ronald Reagan coin, and won't be until Jimmy Carter dies.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:40 am
FSU

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
What does the packaging look like? I'm assuming it's small and quite heavy but hopefully doesnt have a color picture of the coins emblazoned across the front.
Sent in a small brown box 11x6x4. No mention from where it came other than "fulfillment center" Shipped by DHL and USPS. Two smaller boxes inside. Each roll has $25 in coins. Not as heavy as I would have thought.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer (Post #74)
I'm in for $500. Just a couple of observations. The shipping at first appears to be charged to the order until you get to the page that shows what total is being billed and then it says there is no charge for shipping. Also I wondered if the thing is on backorder for 2 weeks and the shipping is said to take 1 to 2 weeks then when do they charge the credit card? Answer is: at the time of shipping.

Great find.
Thank you. I'm in the midst of placing an order and was surprised to see a $4.95 charge for Standard Shipping.
Originally Posted by LurkerNoMore (Post #76)
I threw down for $250.00. I just can't resist small denomination unusual coins and bills. I once obtained $200 in new $2.00 bills and gave them out as tips, spent them for coffee, booze, etc in Vegas. That reminds me...I need more $2.00 bills!
Where does one obtain one hundred $2 bills?
Originally Posted by imasosec (Post #115)
Also, the program will end at the first living President, currently Jimmy Carter. So, if Carter is alive after the Gerald Ford Dollar is issued in 2016, the program ends and there will be no Ronald Reagan coin.
Originally Posted by dhacker (Post #132)
Long live Jimmy Carter!
James Earl Carter was born 1 October 1924.

George Herbert Walker Bush was born 12 June 1924.

In 2016 they would both turn 92. Of all ex-presidents, only Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan exceeded that, living to 93.

I think it's Bill Clinton who needs to watch his diet and exercise.
Originally Posted by steve32 (Post #151)
"Under federal law (31 U.S.C. § 5112), no coins may be issued featuring a living president, or a president who died less than two years earlier. -- Wikipedia
That is the general law, and does not explicitly mention the presidential dollars program, which would likely be covered in regulations published in the C.F.R.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Where does one obtain one hundred $2 bills?
A bank?

I had a friend who used to get batches of crisp new $2 bills and would bind them into a pad so he could tear them off one at a time. He got some funny looks.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dhacker
You may be right, but the current release schedule ends at Ford.
That's only because they don't know if the Reagan coin will be released in Q3 or Q4 yet. If Carter is still alive at the deadline (August 2014?), the Reagan coin will be released in Q3. Otherwise, the Carter dollar will come out in August 2016 and Reagan in November.

Originally Posted by dhacker
My guess is that they will produce a Reagan coin in the end due to political pressure from his insatiable disciples.
They're already predicting huge runs on that coin, as well as the JFK dollar.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:26 am

there is not a free tray/slot in cash register drawers to fit the coin
Yes, there is. However most retailers put rolls of quarters (or other coins) in there so they have them when they need them.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
[QUOTE=mahasamatman;9916436]That's only because they don't know if the Reagan coin will be released in Q3 or Q4 yet. If Carter is still alive at the deadline (August 2014?), the Reagan coin will be released in Q3. Otherwise, the Carter dollar will come out in August 2016 and Reagan in November.

If Jimmy Carter is alive at the Deadline (Aug 2014) the program ends with the Gerald Ford Dollar, there is no Reagan Dollar. I do agree, however, there will be a great deal of political pressure to change the law and produce a Reagan dollar (remember, some have pushed hard to put Reagan on either the dime, $10 bill, or both).
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
My coins have shipped (6/18) however; I'm unable to track them, even when following the instructions to track. Hmm. Also, I have not yet been charged by the Mint for my order. Free money? Yeah...until the Mint decides to charge my account several months from now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.