Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Buy Traveler's Checks with AMEX cc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Buy Traveler's Checks with AMEX cc

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:19 pm
nsr

Originally Posted by learningtime
cash back is for gift cards. This link is about TChecks. Different things (unless there have been cash back deals for Tchecks as well).
I was referring to AMEX gift cards, and to a post discussing cash-back for gift cards (as well as the last couple of pages in this thread discussing AMEX gift cards cash-back). And no there was never cash-back for checks.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by nsr
I was referring to AMEX gift cards, and to a post discussing cash-back for gift cards (as well as the last couple of pages in this thread discussing AMEX gift cards cash-back). And no there was never cash-back for checks.
That's what I mean. Cash back deals are for gift cards. This thread is for checks. With respect to checks, the deal has been DEAD for a while.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsr
Check the thread title - this is for the T Check. Useless to buy AMEX T checks when it does not earn you anything. Why would anyone need the AMEX T checks when ATMs work much better? There are still banks offer ATM withdrawals without fee on both withdrawal and forex, while the AMEX T check costs you a bundle in fees when you cash it outside the country. (whether in US denomination or Foreign currencies - you are going to lose in both transaction fee AND exchange rate.)
Old Aug 24, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by nsr
I was referring to AMEX gift cards,...
Maybe you should be looking for the other thread?

Buying Amex Gift Cards for Points then.....

ETA: One more thread on Amex GCs:

Convert Gift Cards to Full Cash Value

Last edited by lin821; Aug 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm Reason: located another thread on Amex GCs
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by dgordon
You can buy $1000 of American Express Travelers checks fee free each week with your American Express Card at an AMEX travel center. You can search for an AMEX travel office near you online. You need to have your cash advance limit be $1000, but it is considered a purchase, not a cash advance, although it comes out of this allowance. I had to raise mine to $1000 because I always lower mine because I don't ever plan to do a cash advance. However, for this purpose, I made an exception. You can only use an American Express credit card and each account is allowed to do this. So if you have a starpoints card AND a Hilton card, you could charge $2000 each week. You could buy foreign currency travelers checks as well as US.
Try not to abuse this as they may take it away.
I did this one month before posting this to make sure they actually appeared as a purchase, not as a cash advance, and I got my starpoints credited.
Why has this been a secret?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
No longer true

This was titled - this deal is dead. Back in 2009. Why would you quote it and post it?
This is such outdated news. AMEX stopped considering this a purchase for the sake of getting points years ago. It was nice while it lasted but it hasn't been true for quite some time. People abused it and they took it away. Honestly I am sorry I ever posted it here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.